Battery Life (duplicate I'm sure)

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Humor me and just try using the phone for the rest of the day with WiFi off. I did that a couple of days ago and the battery life was unbelievable. I now have wifi on most of the time and I still get ridiculously good battery life.

I'll give it a shot and report back tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "unbelievable" battery life? And what kind of user are you on your phone on a typical day?

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I'll give it a shot and report back tomorrow. Just out of curiosity, what do you consider "unbelievable" battery life? And what kind of user are you on your phone on a typical day?

Look at screenshot in post 31 above. I am a moderate user (many phone calls, many texts, some calendar entries, 50 + emails a day, minimal browser use). The last 5 days the phone went on the charger after 14 + hours and was at 50% or more!

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Look at screenshot in post 31 above. I am a moderate user (many phone calls, many texts, some calendar entries, 50 + emails a day, minimal browser use). The last 5 days the phone went on the charger after 14 + hours and was at 50% or more!

I just don't get it. And you even have bluetooth on too! I haven't turned that on yet. My last 3 hours in use: 26% (that consists of a handful of texts, about 10 minutes of browsing, and 1 update of twitter and instagram.)

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I just don't get it. And you even have bluetooth on too! I haven't turned that on yet. My last 3 hours in use: 26% (that consists of a handful of texts, about 10 minutes of browsing, and 1 update of twitter and instagram.)

What other apps do you have installed? It is possible that you have one bad app causing the problem.
Twitter and Instagram can use battery. How often do they update? And turning off GPS could (but not sure) have a negative effect on those apps.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
What other apps do you have installed? It is possible that you have one bad app causing the problem.
Twitter and Instagram can use battery. How often do they update? And turning off GPS could (but not sure) have a negative effect on those apps.

I have those two apps, espn scorecenter, and a fantasy football app. That's it. And on my first device, I had those installed and did a factory reset on Friday, then never re-installed them. Got my second device yesterday evening, and didn't install those apps back on until about 2 hours ago.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Hmm... not sure what could be causing it... I have notifications on, sync a few things, i think location reporting and brightness at the stock 60%, etc...
I havent used bluetooth yet cause i only use it occasionally in my car, i have wifi off because i get 10-20 Mbps at home and 20-40+ Mbps at work so with unlimited data why use wifi?

one thing could be signal strength?? if you live in an area where your phone is struggling for signal that may drain battery?
another thing... could be a certain app you have that runs in the background that is just killing your battery?

one thing i did... a habit i do with all my PCs and phones... I reset the phone and reloaded to factory spec when i first got it... just get a clean image on the phone (I use to work tech support and just come to learn out of box isnt necessarily perfect) and i havent had a problem.

one suggestion... since you had two phones... reset the phone and give it a day with a full charge and no apps and see how you do for a day. let us know what happens regardless.

good luck.

Then what the hell am I doing wrong? I've had now 2 G2s and no improvement. I turn off notifications, syncs, Android System, location reporting, brightness to 35%, close apps, set auto turn off at 15 seconds, don't stream videos, don't browse - basically, I've done everything I can to turn my smartphone into a dumbphone and can barely make it 12 hours. One device doing that, okay, I have a bad device, the second device does that, then what else is there to think but this phone just doesn't have the battery life as advertised?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Oops, just saw this post that you have factory reset and no apps.
hmm... wonder still if it's due to signal strength in area and phone is constantly working?
I think i just read somewhere an app that gives info on surrounding antennas.

I have those two apps, espn scorecenter, and a fantasy football app. That's it. And on my first device, I had those installed and did a factory reset on Friday, then never re-installed them. Got my second device yesterday evening, and didn't install those apps back on until about 2 hours ago.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Oops, just saw this post that you have factory reset and no apps.
hmm... wonder still if it's due to signal strength in area and phone is constantly working?
I think i just read somewhere an app that gives info on surrounding antennas.

I live in Columbus, OH. The only time I struggle to get good signal (in my entire cell phone life) is in Ohio Stadium when 100,000 other people are trying to use their phones at the same time. I haven't done a factory reset on my replacement device yet. I did turn WiFi OFF yesterday afternoon and ran the battery empty, then kept it off and recharged it to 100%. I unplugged it this morning at about 6:30. I've kept WiFi OFF today, and plan to for this battery run as well. At just past noon today (sent and received about 5 texts each way, no browsing, no updates of twitter, or other apps, email notifications off, and one update of the weather app on the homepage for a total of 10 minutes of on screen time) I'm still at 100%. So I'm encouraged so far. Though just checking now, Android system is at 52%. That seems a bit high.

tsells

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
I live in Columbus, OH. The only time I struggle to get good signal (in my entire cell phone life) is in Ohio Stadium when 100,000 other people are trying to use their phones at the same time. I haven't done a factory reset on my replacement device yet. I did turn WiFi OFF yesterday afternoon and ran the battery empty, then kept it off and recharged it to 100%. I unplugged it this morning at about 6:30. I've kept WiFi OFF today, and plan to for this battery run as well. At just past noon today (sent and received about 5 texts each way, no browsing, no updates of twitter, or other apps, email notifications off, and one update of the weather app on the homepage for a total of 10 minutes of on screen time) I'm still at 100%. So I'm encouraged so far. Though just checking now, Android system is at 52%. That seems a bit high.

Don't worry about Android System usage. Your phone's battery is doing great today.

PS Go Buckeyes!

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Is this more the kind of battery life I should expect?

Screenshot_2013-11-18-17-37-00.jpg

To be fair, this is after about 15 minutes of on screen time involving about 15 texts. But I'm happy so far today nearing the 11 hour mark since unplugging.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
uh yep :)

this morning i took it off charge about same time 6:30... the first 5 hours i knock knocked the screen about 20-30 times to check everytime i had a notification come in thru my exchange and maybe glance at the email and maybe one or two texts and it stayed 100% until 11:30. friend IM me through bejive and chatted off and on for a couple of hours and knocked about 10%. after that just some moderate use and 9:24 pm I'm still at 61%.

No way I would get that on my Nexus 4 and would be pretty much drained at this point... so i am pretty happy with the G2 battery. i can goto sleep and imagine i wouldnt lose much battery through the night and probably have 50% left at 6:30 and handle another day like today. I'll probably charge it tonight but just nice to see the extra battery if needed.

Good luck in testing it and putting more load and see what it does.

Is this more the kind of battery life I should expect?

View attachment 92558

To be fair, this is after about 15 minutes of on screen time involving about 15 texts. But I'm happy so far today nearing the 11 hour mark since unplugging.

bad43085

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
uh yep :)

this morning i took it off charge about same time 6:30... the first 5 hours i knock knocked the screen about 20-30 times to check everytime i had a notification come in thru my exchange and maybe glance at the email and maybe one or two texts and it stayed 100% until 11:30. friend IM me through bejive and chatted off and on for a couple of hours and knocked about 10%. after that just some moderate use and 9:24 pm I'm still at 61%.

No way I would get that on my Nexus 4 and would be pretty much drained at this point... so i am pretty happy with the G2 battery. i can goto sleep and imagine i wouldnt lose much battery through the night and probably have 50% left at 6:30 and handle another day like today. I'll probably charge it tonight but just nice to see the extra battery if needed.

Good luck in testing it and putting more load and see what it does.

I didn't charge it last night. And I did use it a bit last night while sitting on the couch. I closed everything and still have WiFi off. Woke up this morning and it is still at 85%. I plan on running it dry again for one more cycle and see how far I can go.

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
One thing I am noticing today and keeping an eye on... I installed the ISIS payment app and set it up and in doing so had to enable my NFC.
My phone usage hasnt really changed much from yesterday except maybe for a long call but my battery seems to go a little bit more when not in use?
Keeping an eye on it with NFC enabled and then try to see if difference with it off. I didn't think NFC would make any difference buy maybe.

I didn't charge it last night. And I did use it a bit last night while sitting on the couch. I closed everything and still have WiFi off. Woke up this morning and it is still at 85%. I plan on running it dry again for one more cycle and see how far I can go.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn