Scrolling is not smooth

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
When I scroll on web pages, on settings, pictures, pretty much anything, it looks as if it's skipping frames, or sort of pauses for a split second, I can see that it is not as smooth as it should be. If anyone uses this phone for first time, this may not bother them, but knowing how smooth scrolling should be, it's a little annoying.
Also, overall the response time of App drawer (from home screen) is nowhere near as fast as my last generation LG P870. It feels like there is something holding the phone back.

Is there a processor monitor (I know you can see the amount of RAM they use, but is there anything on board to check processor usage?)
Also, is this due to some bloatware AT&T is running on this phone? (Last phone was also AT&T, and not rooted, running 4.1) Maybe due to carrier IQ? I disabled as many AT&T apps as possible, but I know stuff like AT&T address book, and few others cannot be disabled.

It is off now, charging to %100 to see if a power cycle and another round of full recharge will fix it.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T sample, though rooted and debloated, that doesn't have that issue at all. Unfortunately, I rooted it as soon as I got home from the shop with it and run Nova so I haven't been allowed to have any problems. Are you running the stock launcher?

Last edited:

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
There's a known jittery scrolling glitch with this phone. One of the forum posts referenced a YouTube video showing the bug. Sorry I don't have the link. I noticed it on my phone here and there also, but strangely using Chrome only.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
There's a known jittery scrolling glitch with this phone. One of the forum posts referenced a YouTube video showing the bug. Sorry I don't have the link. I noticed it on my phone here and there also, but strangely using Chrome only.

No, that's not the issue, jittery scroll is fine and in fact I have this problem only when I flick not when I am constantly scrolling, although holding and scrolling may be forcing it keep "refreshing" the position, I am not sure.
Think about flicking a long webpage up to scroll or list of emails, they will not scroll smoothly. So this cannot be related to jittery touchscreen issue others mentioned (in the video). I have a suspicion that this is processor related, possibly graphic processor. I stopped as many apps I can stop, but I don't know if there are more running in the back. For example, even though I did not want to sync gmail, yesterday gmail app popped up with a new e-mail, I had to stop and then disable the gmail app to end this.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
mine is buttery smooth... but i am on slimkat 4.4
i did notice a bit of lag here and there from time to time on the stock rom though... nothing major but kind of annoying being that it is top of the line in temrs of specs... thats the biggest reason i rooted and flashed a custom rom. i actually enjoyed the stock rom of lg... but it was a little buggy for me... so i finally pulled the trigger last night and flash slimkat w/ gapps 4.4 couldnt be happier, even in the early builds

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
mine is buttery smooth... but i am on slimkat 4.4
i did notice a bit of lag here and there from time to time on the stock rom though... nothing major but kind of annoying being that it is top of the line in temrs of specs... thats the biggest reason i rooted and flashed a custom rom. i actually enjoyed the stock rom of lg... but it was a little buggy for me... so i finally pulled the trigger last night and flash slimkat w/ gapps 4.4 couldnt be happier, even in the early builds

Just last night, and you are already happy? I think I would like to hear back from you in a week.. :) It's too soon to decide.

bear_lx

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Just last night, and you are already happy? I think I would like to hear back from you in a week.. :) It's too soon to decide.

true, but i do a pretty thorough rundown once installed. and i am a heavy user so i notice bugs pretty quickly. so far so good. plus i read almost the entire thread over at xda, so i know what others have issues with and how to avoid.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
I experienced the same. I exchanged the phone and tried a second one but it was still the same, hesitating on many different apps. It feels like it can only handle a certain amount of data and then it has to stop, take a breath and then continue. Considering how powerful the processor is, I presume it is something poorly coded in the LG Android skin.

I was on the fence between the G2 and the Nexus 5. The scrolling made me choose the Nexus 5. It killed me because I loved the G2 over the 5 in so many ways but the scrolling was something I was seeing so many times a day that I finally gave up on it.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I experienced the same. I exchanged the phone and tried a second one but it was still the same, hesitating on many different apps. It feels like it can only handle a certain amount of data and then it has to stop, take a breath and then continue. Considering how powerful the processor is, I presume it is something poorly coded in the LG Android skin.

I was on the fence between the G2 and the Nexus 5. The scrolling made me choose the Nexus 5. It killed me because I loved the G2 over the 5 in so many ways but the scrolling was something I was seeing so many times a day that I finally gave up on it.

Wait, you tried G2 for two times then went with N5?
I still love my G2, it's an amazing device, I love the knock on and quick drawing, taking a screen shot, etc.. Overall the most useful feature is knock on /off and full 5.2" screen in a compact package with an option to change menu bars to add notification button.

Did you actually return the phone? Did you try anything to fix it before giving up on it? I ran valermo benchmark and scrolling and everything else was super smooth so I have some faith that if LG releases newer version android it MAY be fixed, bu then it might be too late.
Anyway, I am still hanging in there with this device, it is really an amazing phone.

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Wait, you tried G2 for two times then went with N5?
I still love my G2, it's an amazing device, I love the knock on and quick drawing, taking a screen shot, etc.. Overall the most useful feature is knock on /off and full 5.2" screen in a compact package with an option to change menu bars to add notification button.

Did you actually return the phone? Did you try anything to fix it before giving up on it? I ran valermo benchmark and scrolling and everything else was super smooth so I have some faith that if LG releases newer version android it MAY be fixed, bu then it might be too late.
Anyway, I am still hanging in there with this device, it is really an amazing phone.

Yes, I tried 2 different G2's and then gave up. For me personally it was a deal breaker, for others it might not matter at all. I can overlook many quirks in a phone that I really like (such as the quiet speaker volume), but anything to do with the actual screen and related performance is a show stopper.

The screen is one of the best ever and knock on/off is wonderful. It really hurt to return the phone. I still think about it. Heck, I'm here in a forum for a phone I no longer own, that tells you something.

I didn't try to fix it because it never occurred to me that I could create any change.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I tried 2 different G2's and then gave up. For me personally it was a deal breaker, for others it might not matter at all. I can overlook many quirks in a phone that I really like (such as the quiet speaker volume), but anything to do with the actual screen and related performance is a show stopper.

The screen is one of the best ever and knock on/off is wonderful. It really hurt to return the phone. I still think about it. Heck, I'm here in a forum for a phone I no longer own, that tells you something.

I didn't try to fix it because it never occurred to me that I could create any change.
OK, it was only the scrolling issue that made you return the phone, nothing else? What was your reason when you took it back?)
Are you in USA?

Also, did you try the Temp sensor trick?
I am now running it with temp sensor off trick it seems to be OK. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=null

I am trying to figure out what's a reasonable lag and whats not but sadly I don't have anyone else with a G2 we around me.

Sent from my LG-D800

orange-man

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it was only for the scrolling. But when I say "only", it was web browser, Twitter, Facebook, long emails with large amounts of content, Tapatalk, etc. For me, the impact was wide ranging. The Nexus 5 is inferior to the G2 in many ways but it doesn't have this problem.

As you said earlier, scrolling isn't really the right term. It happens when doing a fast upward flicking motion.

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, it was only for the scrolling. But when I say "only", it was web browser, Twitter, Facebook, long emails with large amounts of content, Tapatalk, etc. For me, the impact was wide ranging. The Nexus 5 is inferior to the G2 in many ways but it doesn't have this problem.

As you said earlier, scrolling isn't really the right term. It happens when doing a fast upward flicking motion.

Finally someone who realized the issue and can talk the same language.
With that said, I don't know of others don't have this issue or just don't care.
It's like the motion blur on your tv vs non motion blur on 120hz tv. I can see it but,my 55 yr old uncle can't see it, so he goes "what blur".

This lag is especially present on Touchdown and on Tapatalk. It is not a huge problem but just annoying. Sure it manages to scroll but why the stutter? It does not render the phone useless but it's just an annoyance.

You didn't say if you were with a carrier in USA or if you picked it up unlocked.

Thanks is for chiming in.

Sent from my LG-D800

heading4tomorrow

May 21, 2013
Visit site
PS, I don't know of it is the temp off trick kicking in now or something else, I can scroll smoothly in Tapatalk.
Maybe it's the Gin tonic, who knows. LOL

Sent from my LG-D800

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38