Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Haalcyon
  • 1 Post By heading4tomorrow
  • 1 Post By bear_lx
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Is there a kitkat 4.4 Rom for the G2 on Att?

This will make or break my purchase for this device. Is there a stable Kitkat rom for this device other than Verizon's?

I see there's also launchers based of kitkat, What's the opinon on those? I usually use Prime, but I have a N5 and I love the look how the google launcher.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Default Re: Is there a kitkat 4.4 Rom for the G2 on Att?

The only KitKat ROM I see right now is SlimKat but it's in alpha right now.

"The worst foe lies within the self....."
    Get yourself some storage with Dropbox: http://db.tt/hWGiTCa

Quote Originally Posted by VDub2174 View Post
    The only KitKat ROM I see right now is SlimKat but it's in alpha right now.

like the avatar pic... got a vdub myself
    Android Central - Super Member
    "Don't forget to thank him/her who helped you"

Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by bear_lx View Post
    like the avatar pic... got a vdub myself
    Thanks

Global Posts
    130 Global Posts

There is a Paranoid Android ROM that I'm currently using as my daily driver, just doesn't have all the PA features yet.

Sent from my LG-G2 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

This may sound silly, Im not looking for them to have all the features. I just want the look and feel of 4.4 I love the new look lol

Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

Quote Originally Posted by Joe the Insider View Post
    This may sound silly, Im not looking for them to have all the features. I just want the look and feel of 4.4 I love the new look lol
    You can always download themes and/or the KitKat launcher from the Play Store.

add to the list cyanogenmod 11, its a 4.4 rom

however if you just want the look and feel of kit kat, sideload the google experience launcher along with google search... it will make your phone look and feel just like a n5 without root or a custom rom... if you need help on how to sideload or where to find them let me know
    Thanked by:

however if you just want the look and feel of kit kat, sideload the google experience launcher along with google search... it will make your phone look and feel just like a n5 without root or a custom rom... if you need help on how to sideload or where to find them let me know
    OmniROM may have it before Cyanogen
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

This is the first ive heard that this can be done. Is there an .apk I works DL? I've side loaded stuff before, but if you can give me some instructions it would be greatly appreciated!!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Is that what your talking about?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Non of them are stable, keep in mind.
    When a device does not even have a stable CM, I would avoid experimenting with roms. If you need modification just root it first, wait for stable CM.

"

Is that what your talking about?"

yep thats it... i installed it and everything worked perfect... i ended up going back to stock though

Quote Originally Posted by heading4tomorrow View Post
    Non of them are stable, keep in mind.
    When a device does not even have a stable CM, I would avoid experimenting with roms. If you need modification just root it first, wait for stable CM.
    I would challenge this... I have personally installed slimkat 4.4 rom and it is rock solid. Not sure what your basis is for saying it is not stable, being that you havent flashed one yet? keep in mind most of the issues over at xda are from people who dirty flash and dont follow instructions. those forums are flooded with noobs nowadays.

Global Posts
    4,494 Global Posts
    ROM
    Anthem_003

I've heard great things about the SlimKat ROMs. From what I've read, they definitely have to be flashed according to the instructions. Some people even flash the ROM without using the latest TWRP or CWM which causes issues too.

Global Posts
    6,208 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.2

I think SlimBean @ 4.3.1 is a good way to go. Slim has proven to be a nice ROM in my experience. I'm using it now on this Nexus 7. Is there something, particular, in 4.4 that you need?

N7
    Live long and prosper.

kashk5 likes this.

I would challenge this... I have personally installed slimkat 4.4 rom and it is rock solid. Not sure what your basis is for saying it is not stable, being that you havent flashed one yet? keep in mind most of the issues over at xda are from people who dirty flash and dont follow instructions. those forums are flooded with noobs nowadays.
    As far as I know slim kat is still in Alpha stage, I would call it far from rock solid.
    Cyanogen Mod is still in nightlies, not even in release candidate.
    Paranoid is in release candidate, not a stable but being RC2 it is very close.

Keep in mind, too, you are recommending an incomplete ROM that users may run into problems, the main reason I did not root is because there is still no stable version of these roms out there, and just like you said forums are flooded with newbies and I wouldn't go tell newbies to try and experiment with roms that are not complete yet. I would suggest waiting this one out, official 4.4 release is around the corner, even if it is for a different carrier or version it can be easily ported once it is released, but at this stage they are all ghetto fix which is why most of them are in alpha and not final releases, say, opposed to what's out there for Galaxy devices.

Maybe 4.3 releases are better, might consider trying those if certain features of 4.4 are not essential.
    kashk5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by heading4tomorrow View Post
    As far as I know slim kat is still in Alpha stage, I would call it far from rock solid.
    Cyanogen Mod is still in nightlies, not even in release candidate.
    Paranoid is in release candidate, not a stable but being RC2 it is very close.

Keep in mind, too, you are recommending an incomplete ROM that users may run into problems, the main reason I did not root is because there is still no stable version of these roms out there, and just like you said forums are flooded with newbies and I wouldn't go tell newbies to try and experiment with roms that are not complete yet. I would suggest waiting this one out, official 4.4 release is around the corner, even if it is for a different carrier or version it can be easily ported once it is released, but at this stage they are all ghetto fix which is why most of them are in alpha and not final releases, say, opposed to what's out there for Galaxy devices.

Maybe 4.3 releases are better, might consider trying those if certain features of 4.4 are not essential.
    alpha or not, it is rock solid. like i said, i am a heavy user and would have found a glitch or two by now. furthermore, even the so called offical roms have bugs. look at the stock lg rom, look at ios7, look at windows phone for heavens sake. my point is someone wanting to experience some pure vanilla android will be better off with PA 4.4 than stock LG rom... Its very easy to revert back to stock if you dont like it? or your finding bugs i didnt? id say go for it, just make a backup!

ps - don't knock it till you try it...just because you're too afraid to root!
    Haalcyon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Symbianblack View Post
    OmniROM may have it before Cyanogen
    what do you mean? CM11 has been out for sometime now, ready to move to beta?