1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Flashing custom ROMs questions

So I had to return my Moto X due to not having enough storage and am having problems ordering the 32gb version from at&t. Its been a couple weeks now and if it isn't sorted by the end of the week I may ask them to ship me a different phone and thinking about getting this one. My big concern is the software, as I have played with the store model and it seems as bloated as my Note 3, and I really liked the near stock experience of the Moto X.

I'm not sure how flashing ROMs works, so I wanted to ask some questions. Is it difficult? It would be the at&t model. I would be looking for a ROM very similar to the Moto X or Nexus. Also, how feature complete are the ROMs? I've heard of stories where after flashing, a feature won't work or won't be available (such as the IR blaster or knock on), is this still the case? How is stability? I'm someone that likes my phone to be rock solid, I don't have the patience to be constantly rebooting, it bugs me if things don't just work. The stock skin seems to have some lag, similar to my Note 3, would a custom ROM improve performance? Also, how does it affect app performance? Could it make 3rd party apps from the app store act all buggy? I do use a lot of apps from the app store and their stability and performance are very important for me. Would the new ROMs have all the features of kit kat, or do they just look like kit kat?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this. I really like the hardware and just trying to figure out if I can make this phone work for me or keep waiting to see if at&t can sort things out and get me a 32gb Moto X.

Default Re: Flashing custom ROMs questions

Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    So I had to return my Moto X due to not having enough storage and am having problems ordering the 32gb version from at&t. Its been a couple weeks now and if it isn't sorted by the end of the week I may ask them to ship me a different phone and thinking about getting this one. My big concern is the software, as I have played with the store model and it seems as bloated as my Note 3, and I really liked the near stock experience of the Moto X.

I'm not sure how flashing ROMs works, so I wanted to ask some questions. Is it difficult? It would be the at&t model. I would be looking for a ROM very similar to the Moto X or Nexus. Also, how feature complete are the ROMs? I've heard of stories where after flashing, a feature won't work or won't be available (such as the IR blaster or knock on), is this still the case? How is stability? I'm someone that likes my phone to be rock solid, I don't have the patience to be constantly rebooting, it bugs me if things don't just work. The stock skin seems to have some lag, similar to my Note 3, would a custom ROM improve performance? Also, how does it affect app performance? Could it make 3rd party apps from the app store act all buggy? I do use a lot of apps from the app store and their stability and performance are very important for me. Would the new ROMs have all the features of kit kat, or do they just look like kit kat?

Sorry for all the questions, I am new to this. I really like the hardware and just trying to figure out if I can make this phone work for me or keep waiting to see if at&t can sort things out and get me a 32gb Moto X.
    Well, my friend you got a lot of good questions regarding rooted LG G2. I run stock G2 on AT&T, but maybe you can get the rights answers at XDA developers forum.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

What you are talking about is the difference between an LG signed ROM and an AOSP ROM.
    The AOSP ROM will not have features like the knock on, because it isn't an LG ROM.

AOSP ROMs will typically get updated faster, but some might have issues with the camera, Bluetooth, etc.
    You take the good with the bad.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be - Lao Tzu
    Community Guidelines and also here
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by emilioaponte View Post
    Well, my friend you got a lot of good questions regarding rooted LG G2. I run stock G2 on AT&T, but maybe you can get the rights answers at XDA developers forum.

Yeah, I may end up going over there, just heard they're very harsh on noobs though.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Golfdriver97 View Post
    What you are talking about is the difference between an LG signed ROM and an AOSP ROM.
    The AOSP ROM will not have features like the knock on, because it isn't an LG ROM.

AOSP ROMs will typically get updated faster, but some might have issues with the camera, Bluetooth, etc.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanks. So what you're saying is that there is no "perfect" AOSP ROM for the LG G2 (like there is for the HTC One or S4) because LG hasn't signed off on one, so anyone I load will have certain things not working right?

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Thanks. So what you're saying is that there is no "perfect" AOSP ROM for the LG G2 (like there is for the HTC One or S4) because LG hasn't signed off on one, so anyone I load will have certain things not working right?
    Correct. Nature of the beast for custom ROMs. Every single one of them will have something not quite working well for one thing or another. Question is, when you find that flaw, can you live with it? I had Slim for my S3, and it was near perfect. The camera wasn't so hot, but I don't take many pics with phones, so it was no big loss for me.

Devices: Current: Nexus 5, Moto X, Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0); Retired: Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G Touch); Traded: Galaxy S3

Yeah, I may end up going over there, just heard they're very harsh on noobs though.
    Ha ha, yes maybe you're right, they can be harsh on newbie. Remember, in Android when you root, Rom, flash, etc. , you enter to a space in constant development were final statements are not usual. To learn you must ask, read, and sometimes take some harsh. Good luck at XDA, be good.

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

I want to correct something from your post. Every ROM for the G2, regardless of whether it's stock or AOSP, will have Knock On since that's built into the firmware, not the ROM. However, Knock Off will only work with an add on.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    13,847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Moto X

Quote Originally Posted by kashk5 View Post
    I want to correct something from your post. Every ROM for the G2, regardless of whether it's stock or AOSP, will have Knock On since that's built into the firmware, not the ROM. However, Knock Off will only work with an add on.
    OK. I thought the feature would have been similar to like Samsung's S Voice. Thanks for clarifying.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

Global Posts
    118 Global Posts

OK. I thought the feature would have been similar to like Samsung's S Voice. Thanks for clarifying.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app
    Yes, for almost all the other LG features and apps (with the exception of the camera app, IR remote app, and the notebook app), that is most certainly true.