Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Contacts, suggestions/help

Could someone please help me? the contacts app is so messed up, I cant change what account contacts are for, they always go to att address book, which wont let me assign individual text tones. I would really like a bare, non carrier specific stock android app if possible, but that wont ever happen it seems.

Default Re: Contacts, suggestions/help

Are you talking about the stock People or Contacts app? Would you prefer to have your apps associated with your Google account instead? That way, they would get automatically synced with your Google Contacts in the cloud. If that's what you want, there should be an option to Export the contacts from any given account to a .CSV file; you could then Import that file into your Google account, either on your phone or on the computer.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

The Contacts app, thats what ive been messing with, i have no idea what People is. I dont want them associated with my google account. I dont want them syncing with anything ever, i want them to only be edited by me, manually, nothing else, let me copy them to my computer the way I always have. and store them in some form on my phone that can assign individual text tones per person. If neccessary I will attach them to my google, but thats a last resort as then each time I add a contact id have to export it and fix it later.

Basically, I want a NORMAL contact app that doesnt have anything fancy, just stores numbers, a picture, name, ringtone, text tone, everything else is useless.

When you enter a contact, do you get an option to enter it into the "Phone Account" instead of the Google account or the AT&T account? Phone Account is something that most phones used to have, but it seems more recent phones no longer have that option. If you do have Phone Account as an option, pick that--it won't sync with Google, but you can typically have it sync with your computer with various 3rd party apps.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Nope, Only option I get is Att address book, cant even choose to enter it into my google account (which is synced with the phone already due to gmail) or and Phone account.

If Google isn't being offered as a choice then I'd check the config of your GMail syncing, maybe you're only syncing the mail, not contacts and calendar.

FYI there's no USB-style PC sync option to allow you to edit the contacts stored only on the phone under "Phone." And any contacts saved to Google (once you get that working) will still allow you to assign text alerts on a per-contact basis on the phone side while still backing up the contact information to your Google account.
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    If Google isn't being offered as a choice then I'd check the config of your GMail syncing, maybe you're only syncing the mail, not contacts and calendar.

FYI there's no USB-style PC sync option to allow you to edit the contacts stored only on the phone under "Phone." And any contacts saved to Google (once you get that working) will still allow you to assign text alerts on a per-contact basis on the phone side while still backing up the contact information to your Google account.
    How do i store them only on the phone? and not through att address book, as currently att address book cant change text tones per contact, which is my main concern. I have everything set to sync with gmail, it doesnt help. any suggestions how to get that working? Do i need google+ set up or something?

Quote Originally Posted by gravatos View Post
    How do i store them only on the phone? and not through att address book, as currently att address book cant change text tones per contact, which is my main concern. I have everything set to sync with gmail, it doesnt help. any suggestions how to get that working? Do i need google+ set up or something?
    Make sure you can see your email in the Gmail app. If you can't, then your Google account isn't properly set up. You can also go into All Settings, General tab, Accounts and Sync, and it would be under Google, and then under Accounts, under which should be a lot, including an entry for Contacts, make sure it's checked, and try unchecking and rechecking it to force a re-sync.

You can't switch a contact that's already been created. To choose where to store a new contact when creating it, tap "AT&T Address book" up near the top, just below "New Contact." That should show you your other options, such as Phone, SIM, Google, etc, depending on what you have available.

Maybe it would help if you could post a screenshot of what you're seeing, using the QuickMemo function.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by npaladin-2000 View Post
    Make sure you can see your email in the Gmail app. If you can't, then your Google account isn't properly set up. You can also go into All Settings, General tab, Accounts and Sync, and it would be under Google, and then under Accounts, under which should be a lot, including an entry for Contacts, make sure it's checked, and try unchecking and rechecking it to force a re-sync.

You can't switch a contact that's already been created. To choose where to store a new contact when creating it, tap "AT&T Address book" up near the top, just below "New Contact." That should show you your other options, such as Phone, SIM, Google, etc, depending on what you have available.

Maybe it would help if you could post a screenshot of what you're seeing, using the QuickMemo function.
    My gmail shows up fine, there is absolutely no section under the snc information that mentions contacts. I get app data, browser, calendar, chrome, gmail, google play movies & tv, Google Play Music, Google+, People details, Picasa Web Albums. All are checked and have tried making them all snyc, doesnt do anything to my contacts situation.

When creating a new contact clicking the att address book does nothing at all, ive tried that many many times, it used to I know that, but now it will not at all.

Screenshot of what? as I cant think of anything that would help to be shown honestly, sorry.

Im thinking that this might all be a bug and ill just have to factory reset my phone the contact app is now disapearing, allong with phone, and phone logs, whenever I turn it on, and I have to go through some work of fiddling with this and that to make them come back.

Ok something is wrong with your account possibly. Definitely something is wrong with the phone. Might need to factory reset and next time avoid using the AT&T address book.

Sent from my LG G2 Android smartphone using Tapatalk Pro.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Yea, if I root it, do you know where att address book would be located? I think im going to factory reset, root it, and freeze everything that seems to have been causing stuff I actually use to act up.

Nope, I haven't bothered rooting.

Sent from my LG G2 Android smartphone using Tapatalk Pro.