Have a question about MMS-LG G2 On AT&T

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I was thinking of getting this phone but would like to know if you can send and receive MMS while the data is turned off like you can with the HTC One? I use WiFi constantly and hardly use data at all so this is something that would be important.
Thanks for the responses.

Posted via Android Central App

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
LG actually contacted me by email after I wrote them and asked the same question, and they said you can send MMS with data off. It seems to be different responses everywhere. I hate to order the phone to find out it's not capable.
Thank you very much for your response.

Last edited:

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I just tested mms over wifi on my AT&T G2. Received mms show up as pending and only shows the mms after turning on data.

Sent from my rooted LG-G2 using Tapatalk

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! I ordered it and was told by three different reps that yes it would work with data off and WiFi on. I didn't get the chance to go test it at the store, so, if it does not, I'll definitely send the phone back. That's a feature I have come to love on my one.
Thanks a lot for testing that for me. If by chance my LG that I receive does work the way I want, I'll let you know, but more than likely, it will be the same.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought all android need data to send and receive MMS? Am I mistaken? I know with IOS you don't need data but I thought all android phones need to have data to send and/or receive

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I have data, I just keep it off 80% of time and stay on WiFi. However, the HTC phones I have do not have to have data on to send and receive pictures.
I was also told by LG and AT&T that the LG G2 would work the same as the HTC phones. That is to be determined, bc some say no.

xsinfulangel

Jun 22, 2012
Visit site
with my old Samsung and HTC phone, the data would kick on to receive a mms message, then it be on WiFi again. my g2 gets mms with Wi-Fi, but I've been getting failed downloads from one person in general. it's really weird.

Sent from my LG-D800 using AC Forums mobile app

binxiboo

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The HTC one and HTC one mini allows for data off wifi mms. However, the LG g2 did not for me. I received it and tested it, but, it would not send or receive until I turned data on with stock messaging. I sent it back bc that's just a great feature not to have to toggle data off and on numerous times daily.
Thanks for the reply.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I found that by using Textra for messaging you can check the box in settings that automatically activates data when sending or receiving mms and then turns it back off.