G2 or Nexus 5

Ethere

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
So I'm planning on getting a new phone. My instinct is to go with the Nexus 5 as it will always have the most up to date OS without having to wait on LG or AT&T to bake in their apps/bloatware. But, I'm in love with the form factor of the G2 and it's backside buttons. I played with the G2 at the local AT&T store and I really love how quick it is. Knowing what you all know now about the G2 and the Nexus 5, if you had a choice today to buy either phone, which would you choose? I know a lot of it is more of a personal choice, but I'm just looking for general opinions. Thanks for making my choice a little easier :)

Ethere

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
The plan won't change for me no matter which phone I choose. Is there a reason you'd choose the Nexus over the G2?

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If you're a tinkerer... G2.

Better camera
Bigger battery
Same core hardware between them

The reason I mentioned tinkerer is because then you can just root and load a custom ROM and you've got the bigger battery, better camera, and people are constantly porting KK versions over to the G2 (I'm running a 4.4.2 based rom right now based on Mahdi, and it's phenomenal).

The ONLY two reasons I'd recommend the N5 over the LG are:
- Price: You cant beat the "off the shelf" price for a N5 from Google in terms of retail price
- OS updates: If you're not a tinkerer having fast access to official software versions is nice.

I love my G2. I wouldn't trade it out for a N5 by any means because I can get the benefits from custom ROM's and then some. For those who don't like to tinker, and just want it to be updated "as is" then go with the N5 because of the updated OS, and lack of bloatware included with your official versions.

Ethere

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks digitard. That post helps a lot. I'm more of a tinkerer. I also love that the G2 has the buttons on the back. Since trying it at the store they feel more natural for me. I think you've made my decision easier.

digitard

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree with that, too.

At first it drove me nuts, but now I couldn't imagine going back to side buttons. It's so much easier to quick adjust in call, watching something, etc, since the buttons are near my natural hand position instead of the side.

Plus I like the flush nature of the case. I know it's aesthetic on that part, but having nothing on the sides is nice.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Had the N5. Now using the G2. G2 has better,bigger display,better,bigger battery,way better camera,better form factor and lastly I wasn't crazy about the speaker on the N5. The G2 has an adequate one

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
So I'm planning on getting a new phone. My instinct is to go with the Nexus 5 as it will always have the most up to date OS without having to wait on LG or AT&T to bake in their apps/bloatware. But, I'm in love with the form factor of the G2 and it's backside buttons. I played with the G2 at the local AT&T store and I really love how quick it is. Knowing what you all know now about the G2 and the Nexus 5, if you had a choice today to buy either phone, which would you choose? I know a lot of it is more of a personal choice, but I'm just looking for general opinions. Thanks for making my choice a little easier :)

Ive had the nexus 5 and dont get me wrong its a beast of a phone but the battery isnt what im looking for and most likely seeing what the LG G2 is about

Ethere

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Wouldn't you know it? AT&T's website says they don't have it available in stock. They also say their stores are out of it too. Do you think this is to push the Flex? Or maybe to make room for the G Pro 2 that's coming?

race4life

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I show that the black one is in stock online.

Correction, it shows up on my upgrade page but not on the main page if you shop for phones.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
As stated if you are looking for official long term support, go for the N5. If you are going to root and use a custom rom, the g2 is probably a better all around device. I chose the N5 because of the ease of modding and support directly from Google. You really can't go wrong with either one.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

DETERMINOLOGY

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Honestly tho i think you going to get a better bang spec wise with the LG G2.. Better battery life,camera,storage, screen and you can root the LG as well to get nexus like rom. The nexus is nice but as i said before the battery life on it wasnt impressive imo and i opted for the G2 and i dont regret it

RicKaysen

Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I lurked on the Google site with my finger poised to pull the trigger on the N5 the second it was available. I sent it back in under a week. The battery life was the primary reason, but I just wasn't happy with the fit and finish either. Coming from the HTC One, the N5 just seemed a little too bargain basement for me. Camera performance was was underwhelming also. I read all of the reviews of the G2 and most of the negativity revolved around software bloat, but the hardware sounded stellar. I'm a lot happier with my G2 and the "knock on" feature which I thought was a gimmick has become indispensable to my daily use and almost never touch the rear mounted buttons. I ignore the "excess software" and only use what I need...it's not a big deal. I'm a cell phone junkie and have to buy whatever shiny new toy is coming out next and I'm already thinking my next phone, but I will sorely miss knock on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781