Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default AT&T LG G2: Can't send or receive MMS since update

Hi there. New here and I need some help. I am pretty much ready to throw my phone in the middle of the road!

I updated my phone to 4.4 last Sunday. Since the update I can't send or receive pictures (I use the default message app). I get an error every time that says "can not attach file". If someone sends me a picture I get the grey broken picture icon. I took it to AT&T today and they made me do a factory reset and the pics worked for about an hour, but now the same errors. My husband updated his phone tonight because we were trying to figure out if I had a corrupt app on my phone or if it had to do with the update. His phone now does the same thing and will not send/receive pics through texts.

Anyone else have this problem? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it?

Our phones are not rooted....just factory phones.

Thanks,
    DS
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 03-17-2014 at 09:29 PM.

Default Re: Can't send or receive MMS since update

Same problem. Do a hard reset, works for an hour, then nothing.

Posted via Android Central App

Your phone have to be be rooted in order to run the Official 4.4.2 mms to work. If you need more instruction I can send you the link how to do it.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I don't even really know what it means to be rooted

What Does Rooting Android Mean? This video will explain what rooted mean. Here the link.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Okay. I have to ask. Why would LG/Android release an update that requires you to root your phone in order to use a standard app that comes on the phone that has worked just fine since the phone was released. That doesn't make sense to me

OhAlfie and Giddle like this.

Here a forum that might shine alittle light to mms issue. Good Luck.

[Q] LG G2 Straight Talk MMS Issue After Kit Kat Update - xda-developers

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Lee View Post
    Here a forum that might shine alittle light to mms issue. Good Luck.

[Q] LG G2 Straight Talk MMS Issue After Kit Kat Update - xda-developers
    I think you are mixing things up. The OP is on AT&T not Straight Talk AT&T. The problem is only with Straight Talk as far as I know. But now they have a work around on XDA to be rooted with custom recovery on KitKat. And now they even have a beta for using xposed with KK. I am on ST AT&T,rooted with custom recovery running KK and with working xposed.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Default Re: AT&T LG G2: Can't send or receive MMS since update

Not just straight talk. I am on AT&T monthly through AT& T

I emailed LG. They said its not a known problem and they are not working to fix anything. Said that we would have to send our phones to their repair facility at OUR cost.

THIS IS NOT GOOD. AT ALL.

You are on AT&T monthly or go phone? I really don't know why you are having trouble. When I flashed the regular kk update and rebooted it already had the AT&T apn settings already entered but since I am on ST I had to enter the ST apn myself. But since the KK update you can not enter the apn type. That's why I had to downgrade back to rootable firmware,root the phone,add custom recovery and flash the patched KK firmware. It can be a PITA but everything works fine. Sorry to hear you're having problems
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Monthly. Not go phone. Not straight talk

Hmmm, wonder what could be the cause? I, also, have AT&T & don't have any problems with sending & receiving pics with texts or emailing pics using the built in app. Have noticed that I have to use data in order to send & receive the pics. Does not seem to work on WiFi. But then again, had to do that before the update to KitKat.

I as well have the LG G2 and since I got it back in November, I randomly can't receive pictures. I get the same "broken picture" icon. I thought it was just random. But, in the last week, since the update, I have noticed it more and more. The funny thing, it comes to me as a broken picture. However, I forwarded one to my friends iPhone, and the image showed up as it was intended. If you or anyone finds a solution to this problem, I would love to know. As far as I know, the pictures I send get to the recipient without problem. It just seems to be when I am receiving pictures. (And it isn't from everyone, but it is more often than it was before the update.)

The SAME thing happend to me after the update! I really haven't had any issues with this phone since I got it either, but this is just not fun. I can't receive any photos people send me, or see the one I try to send them. Just a "broken photo" icon. Kind of frustrating :/
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Well. AT&T is sending us new phones. No clue how that is going to help. Replacing a G2 with a G2 but that is their answer so far. I guess we will see if the new phones do the same thing

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Well. The new phones have the same issue. According to ATT this is a software problem and there is no fixing it. They are replacing our G2s with Samsung S4s or Iphone 5s. We can choose. So annoyed and irritated.

Quote Originally Posted by dshellhart View Post
    Well. The new phones have the same issue. According to ATT this is a software problem and there is no fixing it. They are replacing our G2s with Samsung S4s or Iphone 5s. We can choose. So annoyed and irritated.

My LG G2 runs stock at AT&T. Since official AT&T Kit Kat upgrade via OTA my phone knock on screen is dead, apps not open at Google Play Store unless I use the zoom. I don't have problems with the SMS, sending and receiving photos via email or text message. In my opinion Kit Kat upgrade kills one way or another the regular functions of LG G2 phones. Before I upgrade to Kit Kat never a problem with my G2, now the screen goes just crazy. I bought my G2 on September 2013 at AT&T for the amount of $540.00, now I'm going to make a decision toward what phone I'm going to buy. My intention was as soon LG G3 arrives at AT&T go for it but now I'm not so sure if its a correct decision. I hope LG answer all this after Kit Kat issues with a fix, if not maybe its time for a goodbye for LG phones. I think that upgrades on Google Android Platform its a must for us android phones users, but is bad that the flagship phone of LG just broke with an Android upgrade.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

My AT&T LG G2 updated to the new Kit Kat today (I wasn't going to do it because of the problems), and the first text that came through after the update, broken picture. That has never happened in the month that I've had the phone.

I have a rooted unlocked Sprint lg g2 using at&t sim for straight talk.
    Every apn i tried i still can not receive or send mms.
    Can please someone help/guide me in the right direction. Im going crazy.

I work with animals so please talk to me like i have no idea about phones bc i really dont

Guess I'll be running flash tool. Always a pleasure for a reason to watch adb scripts. Lol

dshellhart,

My G2 does not have that issue.

Could you explain more details about precondition

Ex) JB / KK Software version (You can see Settings - General - About phone - Software version)

Could you nomally see image in gallery app(failed in message app image)?

Hello, all-
    Two weeks ago I bought a new LG G2 D800 (AT&T) from an independent dealer. It came with Kit Kat installed. I want to use it on Consumer Cellular's (CC) system (they accept any unlocked AT&T phone, and use AT&T's towers). I unlocked the phone, and inserted CC's sim. Phone came alive and all seemed to work fine until I noticed I was could not get MMS to function, nor was I getting 4G speed or service. I called CC tech support, they initiated some APN changes from their end, I rebooted and the 4G icon appeared. I assumed MMS was functional - a short time later I became aware it was not. Repeated attempts by Tech Support has not restored functionality. They are stumped, advising me the phone is not compatable with their system. I offer this info to the forum thread to make known that a LG G2 D800 running KK fails MMS on Consumers Cellular also.
    Reading thru the postings here, best I can make of it is there is a conflict between KK and AT&T's perloaded software, KK has a bug. Remedy is to go back to the previous version of Android, put in known workable APN settings, and then upgrade to KK. Can anyone assist me by verify this is correct?

Found a great tutorial on how to root your LG G2 running on 4.4.2 Kitkat here. It's in Spanish but the video will speak for itself. It was actually easy peasy. After I done this, I followed this tutorial from XDA developers "Originally Posted by og4life View Post

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data."

It took me literally only 10 minutes to do this and now my wife can send and receive MMS from her G2 through Straight Talk service. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by xman185 View Post
    Found a great tutorial on how to root your LG G2 running on 4.4.2 Kitkat here. It's in Spanish but the video will speak for itself. It was actually easy peasy. After I done this, I followed this tutorial from XDA developers "Originally Posted by og4life View Post

I finally found a solution for phones that cannot receive or send MMS messages on StraightTalk LG G2 after the kitkat update. Usually, the symptoms are indicated by the APN type being grayed out and stuck on "default". Ive tried many solutions including calling StraightTalk, replacing sims and trying different APNs to no avail. Finally, discoverered this last night...

What you first need to do is download APNsBU from the Play Store. Install, open, and click Backup APNs. Next get SQ Lite Editor from the app store, and run it. Go to Sdcard directory on the editor, then to .APNsBU, select myAPNs_Backup.db. Now click on carriers. You will see straighttalk listed as one of your apns. Slide to the right and edit the APN type for the Straightalk apn and put in the following "default,mms,supl,". Close out the program, go back to APNsBU and click on restore APNs. Now, restart your phone and you will note this has overrided the previous "default" type APN that was grayed out. You will now be able to send and receive MMS messages after the Kitkat update without factory resetting your phone and wiping data."

It took me literally only 10 minutes to do this and now my wife can send and receive MMS from her G2 through Straight Talk service. Hope this helps.
    You can also just go directly to SQ Lite Editor and follow the path data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases and click on the telephony.db file. That will open up a table that has all of your hidden and visible APNs and you can edit all of the APN fields there very easily, including the APN Type.

I am glad to know I am not the only one having problems.. but in order to use sq lite APsBU the phone has to be rooted how can I root my phone without a pc.. I factory reset my phone and that's when my problem started I thought I did something wrong I have the Att g2 running on straight talk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast