Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default should I switch to g2?

I have a galaxy s3 right now that I like but it does have its issues. I want to switch to a g2 but I see all these negative posts about the at&t version. What really is wrong with it and why the hate? I want to switch but I don't want to regret it. I'm a tech junkie and love trying out new phones and UI's.

Posted via Android Central App

Global Posts
    687 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock Galaxy S3

Default Re: should I switch to g2?

I just switched from an S3 to a G2 and am very happy. Not sure about the issues, I bought a used G2 so maybe I was lucky. I'm also on Verizon, AFAIK the Verizon G2 is slightly different hardware whereas all the other models are basically the same with slight software tweaks.

You can always switch to a new phone and try it out within the 14 day trial period.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.4 KitKat

Quote Originally Posted by Austin185 View Post
    I have a galaxy s3 right now that I like but it does have its issues. I want to switch to a g2 but I see all these negative posts about the at&t version. What really is wrong with it and why the hate? I want to switch but I don't want to regret it. I'm a tech junkie and love trying out new phones and UI's.

Its better than a an S3(A 2.5 year old phone) thats for sure. If it will suit your needs ...thats another question. Are you going to miss the removable battery and SD card?
    N5 Black 32GB (4.4.4), N4 (4.4.4), iphone 5 (ios 8), ONE+64GB, N7(5.0 "L") AT&T The Nexus 5 is so fast...I just finished the internet...The ending wasn't great...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

No none of those things have been necessary to me. Even though this phone is older, it does suit my needs. I just like having new technology and trying new things

Quote Originally Posted by Austin185 View Post

Ok let's see. I bought my LG G2 at AT&T on September 20, 2013. I paid $540.00 cash for it, runs stock at AT&T, never has been root. Never a problem with the phone before the official 4.4.2 Kit Kat upgrade via OTA. After Kit Kat the knock on screen is dead, can't open apps at Google Play Store unless I use the zoom. Factory Data Reset not solves the problem. My formers android phones: HTC ONE X, HTC ONE X+, HTC ONE. One of those, I think was the X+ received the upgrade from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean, never a problem. The G2 got Snapdragon 800 processor, fast animal. Right now I just wait that LG find a fix for those G2 with after Kit Kat trauma. If not, bye bye LG, bye bye G3. Maybe there will not be a fix, so I'm going for my first Samsung phone, Galaxy S5 32GB. Remember in a couple of month's maybe LG release the G3.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I just tend to not like the UI's of other phones like Samsung, LG, and even HTC. Although I have heard that Sense 6.0 is a nice upgrade. (I think its Sense 6.0) correct me if I'm wrong. But I just really enjoy the stock UI of the Nexus and even the Moto X. I have the Moto X. But I have heard really good things about the G2. Amazing display, great camera, and awesome specs. It probably is one of the best phones out right now. If you can get over the UI that LG offers, I'd say go for it.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

My other choices are the s5 or nexus 5. I do love the nexus series. Never was a fan of the sense ui on the HTC phones.

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

I just picked one up last week and it is the best phone I have ever owned. Don't worry about the negative AT&T posts, because the unit you would buy today has Kit Kat already installed and a lot of little fixes as well.

I tried and returned an AT&T G2 last Fall. The screen is so great that I decided to give it one more try and was shocked to see that they improved so many things not the least of which is battery life. On the old G2 when I scrolled through Facebook, it used to stutter and hang, now everything is totally smooth and quick. For me, this one is a definite keeper. And the off contract price is really low as well.

I'm coming from a N5 and I'm going to sell it. G2 vs N5 is a matter of personal taste, I'm just posting to tell you not worry about the past, because things are great now with the most recent version. No complaints, and I love to nitpick.

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

I love my G2.i have no problems with it. Not sure what problems other people are reporting. If I were in the market phone I would consider this or the new HTC one m8 phone. Looks great and undeniably great sound very other phones.

Sent from my LG-V500 using Tapatalk

I came from the S3 to the G2 and I absolutely love it. I rooted and tried many different roms on the S3 and never really got the performance out of it that I thought I should. The G2 is beautiful and fast and after trying some different launchers I have deleted them and learned how to set it up with stock LG launcher and it works great. I would highly recommend it.

Global Posts
    3,842 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

I have an SGSIII that i'm tired of. I've been looking at the M8, but don't like the negatives about the LED light(too small & two colors). I'd like some feedback on the LED, and possibly how easy it is to root this phone. Thanks for any help.
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

You will not regret buying the g2. The issues most people have are mostly cosmetic.the differences in ui integration is subtly smoother on some other platforms, but onthe whole lg has done a superb job.I've enjoyed the g2 since getting one in october, just in time for the kit-kat update. It really smoothed things out and did wonders for battery life. Rooting for me is down the road a few months, so you'll have to ask elsewhere for advice. The snapdragon 800 can not be beat right now as far as I'm concerned. It smokes in any situation I've tried to find a way to bite into it. I cant find a way. I tried running the heaviest apps and hd movies at the same time it didn't dent it,or battery life. Go for it.

Thanked by:

Global Posts
    15 Global Posts

I just got a G2. Had an Atrix HD and have been using a Blackberry Z10 and HTC Windows phone also to see how I liked them. Updated my G2 to Kit Kat and have had no issues. Fast, great battery life (89% after working for 10,hours), great screen and very happy with it.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    3,842 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.4.2

How is the LED, and how many colors does the LED have in stock?
    Give yourself, to the Dark Side!

The LED is pretty good on stock software. It has green (incoming call, missed call, missed messages), multi colored (alarm), light blue (calendar) and red (charging). The white back button LED can also be set for incoming call, in call and alarm.

Sent from my G2 running SOKP
    Thanked by: