G2 instant death syndrome?

Allen Asher

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
So I have have my G2 since November of 13. Best phone ever until last night.. I had it laying next to me and it had been on all day, no issues with it.. And... It didnt come on.. The battery had been around 80%.. So I tried to reboot it.. Nothing.. totally lifeless.. I plug it into the charger, nothing.. I plug it into my laptop, nothing.. Absolutely nothing.. I tried another charger too, same result.. So I ordered a Galaxy S4 mini to tide me over for a bit.. Anyhow, I have figured out I can get the phone to display the LG logo if I hold the power button and volume up button. I try to go into safe mode with volume down and nothing.. I hold volume down on the LG screen and nothing.. I plug it into the charger on the LG screen, nothing.. The screen just goes black.. So is it toast? And I can only get it to display the LG screen SOMETIMES I can be playing with the power button for minutes before it will display it.. I believe though its volume up and power that gets it to display. Anyhow, any assistance would be nice!

The phone has lolipop, no custom anything just a stock phone. Never been wet, never been hit hard.. Nice phone until now.. The only time it ever done ANYTHING weird.. Was about 7 months ago the phone got super hot in my pocket and shut off. Turned out the battery went from 70% to 0 in an hour.. I dont know if I had accidently mashed a button and kept the screen on or if the battery was/is faulty. I charged it up and it worked fine though up until now.

Edit 2- It seems its the power button by itself that will get the phone to display the LG logo, but only sometimes if I hold it down long enough. It wont respond to anything else and the LG logo just goes black

Last edited:

Marty Medlin

May 10, 2015
Visit site
This friday my LG G2 phone died as well with the same problems you have

The one thing I do remember is I downloaded a upgrade from my provider AT&T

My guess it that the downloaded software update killed mine. Also I had the battery replaced with no improvment still stayed off

but for the time I had it (before this upgrade) it worked like a champ

Allen Asher

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
The latest update I got from mine was the lollipop update back in April but maybe my phone downloaded something too. I was at home and on my wifi.. The weird part is my boss at work has a Iphone 4 and his phone died the same night too. Lol Not related but just interesting how this can be turned into a AT&T bricking phones conspiracy theory.

Janet E C

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone kept shutting off, and took half a day to come on one day. Lollipop updates. I've reset twice; blocked Google restore and started fresh. Phone good for about 3 days. Android update this morning - shutting off again, can't get on at all. Quit for the night. Maybe there will be another update in the morning. Hate it!!!

Posted via the Android Central App

Juseeca

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I smashed my phone 2 weeks ago, ordered the parts, replaced the screen and all of a sudden the same "bricking" black-out/powering off situation began 2 days ago. I thought it had something to do with the screen replacement. I've found that holding the power button down for a minimum of 2 minutes brings it back. The first time, there was no LG Symbol, no recognition of charger, nada. Complete death. Yesterday, it happened several times but the first time of the day it did the LG Symbol twice. I even had a professional phone repair man stumped. Took it home desperate to get it back by trying my luck with 30-60 sec increments by approx 2 min 15 secs it came back. I'm hoping it has something to do with the screen replacement since now I've order the complete manufacturer assembled LCD/GLASS/DIGITIZER unit.

Juseeca

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
I smashed my phone 2 weeks ago, ordered the parts, replaced the screen and all of a sudden the same "bricking" black-out/powering off situation began 2 days ago. I thought it had something to do with the screen replacement. I've found that holding the power button down for a minimum of 2 minutes brings it back. The first time, there was no LG Symbol, no recognition of charger, nada. Complete death. Yesterday, it happened several times but the first time of the day it did the LG Symbol twice. I even had a professional phone repair man stumped. Took it home desperate to get it back by trying my luck with 30-60 sec increments by approx 2 min 15 secs it came back. I'm hoping it has something to do with the screen replacement since now I've order the complete manufacturer assembled LCD/GLASS/DIGITIZER unit.

Btw, no updates, I'm not on AT&T, although it's a D800 on Straight Talk w/ an AT&T SIM card

Janet E C

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
My phone kept shutting off, and took half a day to come on one day. Lollipop updates. I've reset twice; blocked Google restore and started fresh. Phone good for about 3 days. Android update this morning - shutting off again, can't get on at all. Quit for the night. Maybe there will be another update in the morning. Hate it!!!

As of today, Aug. 6th, 2015, my phone came on and stayed on for a few hours. All of a sudden, another Android update and now the phone will not come on past the LG Logo for about 4 days now. It's very frustrating. I had to go back to my old Motorola phone until my contract is up in November.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Bring the phone to the carrier and ask if they can please fix what their update broke. (I just had a phone replaced for that.)

Janet E C

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
They wouldn't replace my phone because I'm no longer under warrantee and still on 2- year contract. They keep saying it's my phone, but I just recently went back to the LG because it has stayed on for 5 days. Another "Android updating" message and it's shutting on and off again. When they finally get it straightened out, I'll just keep the phone until it dies and not do another contract.

Janet E C

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Rukbat: That is weird! Have you reset the phone at all? I did 3 times with no success. As long as they're pushing updates through, it will keep messing up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC