The LG Thrive on straight talk!

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
~~~PHONE MUST BE ROOTED/UNLOCKED~~~
Mine was rooted so here is how I kicked it off in a pros/cons style walk-through.

Okay guys it's done we have a working lg thrive on straight talk,

pros:
1. Straight talk! 45 bucks for unlimited everything? %$#! Yeah!
2. The nokia e71 was on sale in my area for $49.99USD refurbished.
3. The nokia e71 actually isn't a bad phone mostly metal frame, pretty durable built mostly from metal..
cons:
1. You have to buy a nokia e71 from straight talk, and get the sim and activate it. (i had a little trouble with mine they sent it with the wrong sim.)
2. They also hire half of their customer service from india, so good luck.
3. Don't use too much data, they will throttle/shut off your web usage.
YOU MUST HAVE APN/BACKUP/DELETE because if there is already 2 primary APN'S if you leave the ones that are on there, it will just read the AT&T ones, and this is counter-productive, after you get that, back up your AT&T apn's and then delete them, then go into your settings>wireless&networks>Mobile networks> Acess point names..
then enter this (You have to enter them both for this to work!)
First APN

Name: (anything you want I just put Straight-talk.)
APN: att.mvno

Leave everything else alone but the bottom part that says:
APN type here you enter: default,supl

Save the above then start another new one.
It should look like this
Name: MMS

skip to
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

MMS port: 80

skip to:
APN type: mms

After that is done power off your phone and insert your ACTIVATED e71 sim, they've sent me 3 already that were "unable to be activated"
IT should automaticly select the only available APN's unless you forgot to delete the AT&T ones, and just incase you want to go back to AT&T i'll be posting those APN's on here soon (in case you delete them by accident.) ALSO MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :> If this worked for you don't be shy to sign up and click that thank button over there. Of course if you have any further questions, message me or post here.

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: The LG Thrive on straight talk?

I'm not sure anyone here will have a yes or no answer for you but I may be surprised. But here is some things to look into and it will give you a better idea as to whether your plan will work. First and foremost you need to check out the specs on the straight-talk phones and see if there are special ROM/OSes that they are running on them. If they are running custom software you may be looking at an uphill battle. Also you will need to make sure that Tracfone will see let you use a third party phone for there straight talk plans or if your locked in to using theirs. If Tracfone doesn't care and you are willing to get a thrive and root and unlock it from AT&T then yes in theory you should be able to use it. Since straight talk works on both CDMA and GSM you should be able to have the Thrive work. You may need to buy one of the el-cheapo phones they have to get the SIM card for Straight-talk unless you can get Tracfone to send you a SIM. As to your Iphone that should be about the same process but being as I'm not an apple fan I can't really say for sure.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

right now they have an android, it's called the Samsung galaxy precedent it's running on 2.2 i'm thinking it's a standard o.s. just like the thrive.
but i do know some people are using iPhones on their network, given that you can use an a.p.n. backup and delete to remove at&t's regular a.p.n.'s i can use their network.. i'll keep everyone posted though, i'll be unlocking it probably tomorrow or next week.. though i have heard of users using the thrive on straight talk sim witch is what lead me to make this post.. i'm kind of new to androids but i'm learning like a crack head about them.. doing all the research i can so i can help further the thrive's go-phone goodness, or at least try to get into it.. wish there was a way to expand the phones internal memory though

If i can't get it to work i'll probably just buy the precedent, its processor is a little better but it doesn't beat the thrives camera with only a 2 megapix.
though on ebay right now i can get a iPhone 3gs for around 150-200 so if i drop another buck fifty for a phone might as well save up another 50 bucks and get something better.. though i heard the precedent is flash capable.. gonna have to find some one that has one and talk to them about it.

Last edited:

cybermaniak

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Short answer: Yes it?s possible.

Long Answer: You will need to buy a Nokia E71 or Nokia 6790 only those have an unlocked SIM (that will work on 3G), activate that nokia phone, and once is activated you can switch the sim to your Thrive (but everytime you need to call support, you will need to do it on the Nokia, because somehow they can see the ESN and if the ESN doesn?t match with the registered phone they can cancel your service.

For more info see this thread How To: Straight Talk And Android! Everything you need to know(so please stop asking)

BTW: The samsung precedent is not a GSM phone is a CDMA.

Good Luck.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Yeah i read that too and thanks, i appreciate your input and every ones on here, also thanks for the post you linked me it has some useful info, though if i'm going to have to spend any money at all i'm probably going to just buy an iPhone, though i love my thrive and probably wont ever get rid of it.. turns out my sister had a straight talk e71 i'll see if she still has it..

PoorBoy52760

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Short answer: Yes it?s possible.

Long Answer: You will need to buy a Nokia E71 or Nokia 6790 only those have an unlocked SIM (that will work on 3G), activate that nokia phone, and once is activated you can switch the sim to your Thrive (but everytime you need to call support, you will need to do it on the Nokia, because somehow they can see the ESN and if the ESN doesn?t match with the registered phone they can cancel your service.

For more info see this thread How To: Straight Talk And Android! Everything you need to know(so please stop asking)

BTW: The samsung precedent is not a GSM phone is a CDMA.

Good Luck.

Accually i have Straight Talk and if u get a CHEAP GSM Phone and setup an account with them all u have to do is call them and give them the IMEI from the phone u are transfering to and your SimCard Number and its good to go... as long as u have an Unlocked Phone i did this with my HTC Snap 3g i had that was on T-Mobile/IWireless

Hope this helps...

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

4 months later, and I'm back again.. I entered all of the information, and followed the instructions on the link that cybermaniak posted, and i ended up here "Sim not provisioned MM #2" but at this point I'm about to upgrade to a better phone, about tired of the candy bar, and I want the hole cake, at least something that plays Netflix. So I'm tired of sitting bored everywhere playing angry birds, when I could be catching up on some TV shows/ crappy movies.

Edit: keep in mind this sim has not been activated yet, i was told that the sim that was sent with my e71 was the "wrong sim" and they are sending me another one.. I'm pretty pissed off about that, but what can i do other then yell at the company for it?

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like this issue is with the sim not being activated I had the same thing with one of mine when I was tranfering phone numbers and also on a HTC G1 when the SIM was deactivated. If you get it working let us know I am thinking about ditching AT&T for Straightalk because even with the early termination fee its still cheaper to go with straightalk than to finish out my contract... plus the unlimited data package would be nice.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

Sounds like this issue is with the sim not being activated.

Exactly right actually, it's activated, and works, I've got 3 days left on my at&t 2 dollar plan, it runs fine on the 2g a little slow, but i'm not complaining i get 5 bars on the lake here.. I've read elsewhere and tend to follow most warnings about straight talk having "unlimited web" and if it gets cut off use the e71 to call and tell them that you were using it to stream Youtube, just to cover your rear.

(don't hold anyone but your self responsible for what you do to your phone.)

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I spoke with the straight talk rep a few months back and aside from the horrible English and the complete lack of knowledge they are nice and love to help. I asked them about using other phones with there plan and they said they didn't care what phone you use as long as its an unlocked GSM phone... CDMA phones get a little trickier I guess.

David420

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site

I spoke with the straight talk rep a few months back and aside from the horrible English and the complete lack of knowledge they are nice and love to help. I asked them about using other phones with there plan and they said they didn't care what phone you use as long as its an unlocked GSM phone... CDMA phones get a little trickier I guess.

yeah i almost bought my buddies droid x untill i learned it was a cdma and had to be flashed to change the network, he only wanted a hundred bucks for it, but my cousin offered to sell me his iphone 16gb 3gs for 50 bucks so i had to turn him down,

eetsnalon

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
It has been awhile I see since this was done. Did it work for you as I have read? I now have a unlocked LG Thrive, and an active AT&T ST Sim card. I was wandering if all of these instructions are still relevant and working for their system? Thanks!
~~~PHONE MUST BE ROOTED/UNLOCKED~~~
Mine was rooted so here is how I kicked it off in a pros/cons style walk-through.

Okay guys it's done we have a working lg thrive on straight talk,

pros:
1. Straight talk! 45 bucks for unlimited everything? %$#! Yeah!
2. The nokia e71 was on sale in my area for $49.99USD refurbished.
3. The nokia e71 actually isn't a bad phone mostly metal frame, pretty durable built mostly from metal..
cons:
1. You have to buy a nokia e71 from straight talk, and get the sim and activate it. (i had a little trouble with mine they sent it with the wrong sim.)
2. They also hire half of their customer service from india, so good luck.
3. Don't use too much data, they will throttle/shut off your web usage.
YOU MUST HAVE APN/BACKUP/DELETE because if there is already 2 primary APN'S if you leave the ones that are on there, it will just read the AT&T ones, and this is counter-productive, after you get that, back up your AT&T apn's and then delete them, then go into your settings>wireless&networks>Mobile networks> Acess point names..
then enter this (You have to enter them both for this to work!)
First APN

Name: (anything you want I just put Straight-talk.)

Leave everything else alone but the bottom part that says:
APN type here you enter: default,supl

Save the above then start another new one.
It should look like this
Name: MMS

skip to
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com

MMS proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

MMS port: 80

skip to:
APN type: mms

After that is done power off your phone and insert your ACTIVATED e71 sim, they've sent me 3 already that were "unable to be activated"
IT should automaticly select the only available APN's unless you forgot to delete the AT&T ones, and just incase you want to go back to AT&T i'll be posting those APN's on here soon (in case you delete them by accident.) ALSO MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE! :> If this worked for you don't be shy to sign up and click that thank button over there. Of course if you have any further questions, message me or post here.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon