HOW TO: Clock Workrecovery Mod ( CWM )

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Because this seems to get asked again and again and there is no central place where it is posted to my knowledge, here is how you get CWM on your P505. Some people have had issues using this method on the P506[Thrive] so use at your own risk like everything else.

I have verified this with the stock versions of both 2.2.2 and 2.3.4 so this should work for you some people have had issues with the P506 and this method so read the whole thread before you try anything.

Warning !!!!! Do these steps exactly or you could softbrick your phone and you will need to go through some stupidly complicated steps to get your phone working again. So seriously don't think you know better, do only what is listed here in the order its listed.

1 You need to root your phone (there are a few ways to do this, gingerbreak is the easiest)
http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-lg-thrive/95690-easiest-way-root-lg-phoenix-thrive.html

2 Install Rom Manager from the market

3 Open Rom Manager and click the very top selection that says Flash ClockworkMod Recovery
********** DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE IN HERE OR CWM WILL BREAK YOUR PHONE**********************

4 Select Optimus One (some versions list it as P500) as your Phone MAKE SURE SELECT OPTIMUS ONE OLD BASE BAND (OBB)

5 Exit Rom Manager

6 Reboot the phone

At this point you should have CWM installed on your phone you can access it by holding Home+Vol Up [or Vol Down]+ Power ****Note with some phones and software versions the Vol Down Button will not work and will give you an error.

After you restart into CWM you will see a kinda screwed up image and the colors will be all weird this is totally normal don't worry about it.

If I have forgotten anything let me know and I will update this I tried to remember everything step by step but I may have left something out

Last edited:

mmavipc

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Because this seems to get asked again and again and there is no central place where it is posted to my knowledge, here is how you get CWM on your P505/P506.

Um, you forgot to put in the rest of the post bro. I found out that LG Optimus One's cwm recovery works, the display is just all ed up with the colors.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Nice did you make this? What method did you use to install it on the phone since ROM MANAGER did all the work the first time around? Let me know and I will update the first post to include this file.

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Not exactly. I just replaced the kernel inside the Optimus One recovery with the stock Phoenix kernel.

I used the terminal method from here to flash it. But either method described will work fine!

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I checked out the link is there anyway of making this into a zip file that can be run from inside CWM instead of having to use the terminal emulator or ADB to install it. If we can streamline the process for people I think we will have a larger group who are into ROMing the phone. Also replacing with the stock Kernel? Shouldn't we use Joban's custom kernel rather than the stock to do this or is the kernel inside of cwm completely different than the one that actually runs inside of android itself?

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Haven't had any luck making an update package, but I'll try again in the morning.

The kernel the recovery runs and the one run in Android are different.

The recovery DOESN'T replace Joban's kernel :)

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: Still not working :\

Unless there is a way of getting this recovery in the ROM Manager recovery repository, which would make this whole process a lot quicker and simpler.

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I just posted a link to this thread on the developers facebook page in hopes that he reads it but we will have to wait and see.

Last edited:

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the update.zip made, with the recovery.img and flash_boot in it.
Recovery opens it and appears to install and flash everything, except it's not.
I'm not getting any errors and even the log shows everything went fine.

I have attached it in case you'd like to take a look at it later on. Maybe you can catch something I've missed.

Here is the text in updater-script:

Code:
set_progress(1.0000);
ui_print("Flashing Recovery...");
mount("yaffs2", "MTD", "system", "/system");
package_extract_file("flash_image", "/system/xbin/flash_image");
set_perm(0, 0, 0755, "/system/xbin/flash_image");
package_extract_file("recovery.img", "/tmp/recovery.img");
run_program("/system/xbin/flash_image", "recovery", "/tmp/recovery.img");
delete("/tmp/recovery.img");
unmount("/system");
ui_print("Flashing Recovery Complete!");

Last edited:

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
It's copying the recovery.img in the package to /tmp. Flashing it from there, then deleting the image.

Currently in the process of trying it with sdcard..

steven0291

Nov 2, 2011
Visit site
Turns out update-binary was the culprit. Swapped it for another one and now the update package works as it should.

1. Put update.zip on sdcard

2. Install ROM Manager

3. Open ROM Manager

4. Press "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery"

5. Select "Optimus One". Wait for it to finish

6. Press "Reboot into Recovery". Wait until you're in recovery

7. Apply update.zip

8. Reboot recovery

Voil?!

Last edited:
Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Bravo! my good man Bravo ! I will update the first post to reflect this after I try it on mine. What about renaming it to something like Stevens_CWM_Update.zip since we can load from any zip file any objections?