Lost root on Phoenix and Gingerbreak wont reroot.

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Phoenix running Android 2.2.2 stock. I rooted using GingerBreak and had root working just fine for a few days and downloaded an app and accidentally rebooted into recovery mode(stock). I cursed but when it came back up I still had full root access and Super User was still installed. Now is when the story takes an unfortunate turn... I went over to my dads to use his wifi to re-download my lost apps when the wifi just stopped working. So I rebooted and checked it again and I get the same thing obtaining IP over and over and this is on any wifi network now. So I opened titanium backup to back up my apps so I could flash it or something. Well it told me I didn't have root access... ok let me try another app same thing. They will request su permission and I can allow it with the superuser app but thats it. no root....

I have tried re-rooting and gingerbreak just tells me "Could not extract assets!" Any method I have tried to regain root does not work. But I can adb shell and type su and I get the # prompt but any time I try to change file or folder permissions I get no visible response or I will get "Permission denied".

I'm lost... no clue how to regain root. Otherwise the phone still works as it is intended.

Advice?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
sounds to me like you still have root but your busybox files crapped out on you. If your able to get root access using the ADB at the command line then it would be my guess that somewhere along the lines the you lost files essential to the super user account. You might want to look into how to get busybox reinstalled using ADB. You could also completely reflash the ROM from ADB using the KDZ files to return you back to stock 2.2.2. But before you try any of this trying a new copy of Gingerbreak, click the UNROOT option (if available) then click root, see if this gets you where you need to go.

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
New copy of gingerbreak gives the same error. I tried using adb to reinstall busybox but while following along with a tutorial I get stopped at
Code:
$ su
su
# cd /data/local
cd /data/local
# chmod busybox 755
chmod busybox 755
# /data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
/data/local/busybox cp /data/local/busybox /system/xbin/busybox
/data/local/busybox: permission denied

I even tried pushing directly to xbin and get the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12