LG 2.3.4 vs CM7 2.3.7 Which is better?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok folks, I have come to a place where I need to make a decision. Do I upgrade(downgrade actually) to the new LG ROM or do I keep running with CM7 builds on the old baseband? Those of you out there that switched to the LG stock Gingerbread from a custom ROM please let me know your feelings on LG's vs any other custom ROM. I know about the bloatware and lack of overclocking so don't bother putting that down. How does the ROM look and feel? Is it faster, slower, about the same? Do you get better battery, reception, 3g speeds? Does it butter your toast for you in the morning?

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So here is my two cents on the stock gingerbread. I have had it for about a week and I haven't noticed a difference in battery, reception, 3g speeds or anything for that matter. It was suggested to me from some of my friends with more android experience that the graphics performance would be improved. All I know is that, the netflix app does seem to perform slightly better but is still (just like on stock froyo) not usuable. The video at least displays pretty well on gingerbread but is lagged almost 2 to 3 seconds behind the audio. So now the video skips about every 10 seconds to try to catch up to the audio but never makes it. My hope was that by upgrading to one of those nifty overclocking 2.3.7 roms I might see enough of a performance boost to run netflix but I'm not holding my breath.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My hope was that by upgrading to one of those nifty overclocking 2.3.7 roms I might see enough of a performance boost to run netflix but I'm not holding my breath.

You can kiss that dream goodbye I have tried ROM after ROM in hopes that netflix would work and long story short it doesn't and I don't think it will without some serious reworking of the way netflix streams there video the GPU/CPU combo we have just can't keep up.

What I was really looking for was a comparison between the Cyanogen ROMs and the stock LG but thanks for the froyo to gingerbread compairison that helps too.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well the only diff im seeing is options, customization that is. granted i just put it on the phone 13 hours ago. batt at 50% smooth, feels like cm7. best bonus so far is no fear of errors or crashes.

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My real questions is, has anyone got a rom to work with cell service after upgrading to gingerbread? Also, something else that doesn't make sense to me. Just because I've upgraded to gingerbread, how does it matter whether I use joban's kernel with a rom for old base band? Once I factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dvorak cache what is left that is still associated with the gingerbread update?

So far I have tried CosmicExperia, NightlyFourE, SlimGen, and PerfectPeso all with the old baseband. CosmicExperia installs nicely as does SlimGen but once everything is installed I still don't have any cell service even after flashing Joban's kernel. PerfectPeso and NightlyFourE will install and boot but once I install Joban's kernel to fix the graphics both of these roms fail to boot. All the roms boot without any APN set. I'm wondering if I would have manually set the APN would that have given me cell service?

Someone suggested that the Gingercruzt rom works completely with Joban's Kernel. I plan to try that rom at some point today. If anyone has gotten a rom to work completely with Joban's kernel after updating to Gingerbread, please respond as I would be very interested in trying it out. Also what's the deal with APN's?

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
So, an even more frustrating problem, many of the roms are not hosted anymore. For instance, mike's cyanogenmod and the gingercruzt rom I can no longer find a working link to download them. Does anyone have rom besides the four that I listed in my last post that can be posted somewhere that I could then download?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
My real questions is, has anyone got a rom to work with cell service after upgrading to gingerbread? Also, something else that doesn't make sense to me. Just because I've upgraded to gingerbread, how does it matter whether I use joban's kernel with a rom for old base band? Once I factory reset, wipe cache, and wipe dvorak cache what is left that is still associated with the gingerbread update?

So far I have tried CosmicExperia, NightlyFourE, SlimGen, and PerfectPeso all with the old baseband. CosmicExperia installs nicely as does SlimGen but once everything is installed I still don't have any cell service even after flashing Joban's kernel. PerfectPeso and NightlyFourE will install and boot but once I install Joban's kernel to fix the graphics both of these roms fail to boot. All the roms boot without any APN set. I'm wondering if I would have manually set the APN would that have given me cell service?

Someone suggested that the Gingercruzt rom works completely with Joban's Kernel. I plan to try that rom at some point today. If anyone has gotten a rom to work completely with Joban's kernel after updating to Gingerbread, please respond as I would be very interested in trying it out. Also what's the deal with APN's?

The problem you have is the baseband is a firmware flash and cannot be undone just by clearing the cache and such. LG updated the baseband along with the the kernel and the OS. Almost all of the roms out there never touch the baseband as it is so dependent upon the phone type you are using. Jobans kernel is based off of the 2.6.32 linux kernel all of the new baseband stuff runs off of the 2.6.35 linux kernel. Unfortunately you cant just use them interchangably. I did see that it looked like someone had luck flashing froyo back to the phone and then re-ROMing that way but I have not tried it.

soundemonchan

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

ROMs will have service after upgrading to stock 2.3.4(NBB) ONLY if they are designed for NBB. They will have odd colors wich cannot be fixed by flashing Joban's Kernel. If you flash an OBB rom after going to stock gingerbread you WILL NOT have service. The baseband is not affects by cache wipes, nand restores, or ANYTHING. We can change the baseband by going to stock 2.3.4, this takes it to NBB from OBB, but we cannot change it back. I don't know about the APN issue (I am on Rogers, but it may different for AT&T) If you MUST have custom ROMs don't upgrade to stock GB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
educationalco22