Links for learning all things Kernel related.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Have you read the README in LG's source code for our phone? It's similar to the instructions on the page you linked. I'm hoping it would pretty much work out of the box, with proper make files, and such. The best part of the instructions you linked to is the list of dependencies to install. Definitely useful!

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I talked with a few developers in cyanogen to get the basic overview of what I am doing and I think I have just about enough head knowledge to give a good go at it. I will keep everyone updated on my progress and sorry for my continued posting of sites I wanted a way to keep track of the good sites I found and I figured sharing them with everyone was probably the best. So here are two more links I think may be important (may just be the same information all over again too ... hard to say at this point). If the fiance lets me waste away part of my holiday weekend trying to build a kernel I will see if I can give it a go over the next few days.

HOWTO: Compile your own kernel from source (WIP) - xda-developers
Howto: Compile Your Own Kernel V. 0.1 - Thunderbolt Development - RootzWiki

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
soon enough will have enough info.
Kernel.org hacked – how to get Android repo? ? mindexception: out of context
i was having issues getting repoto work with the walk throughs we've found. i found this and it worked.
sense im new at all this, im not sure if repo is general or device specific.
on that note if device specific, then maybe a little help in reading and understanding.
i looks like its only android version specific, ie froyo, gingerbread.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
so far the best iv found
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ht...how-build-your-own-kernel-package-source.html

well this is just going to be me trying to understand. so bear with me..lol
trying to forget windows os and learn linux is quite hard. so hoping some of you might help in sheding some light on my situation.
as windows is quite easy in knowing when a program is installed. im having trouble in knowing when a program is installed on linux.
ill try to elaborate in a way that you understand and that i might understand your response. when using terminal to install java i could see that it installed it.
when giving the command java -version it lets me know that its installed and what version.
now when i got the SDK package it was more of a extract and move file to a specific folder. once there i could go into it to open SDK Manager and get the packages i needed, i also ASSuME that you could use terminal to open it also, i havnt tryed it though.
now when i tryed to download java 7 tar.gz i couldnt get it to install, i think i didnt have the right commmands or have it in the right location for the commands to work.
so more or less im wondering how i would know that i installed a downloaded file right.

thanks, and im sure ill have more to come.

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
generally speaking when it comes to linux if everything goes well it wont tell you, unless it give you a bunch of lines with complete or ok. However when something breaks it normally cries for mommy and spits out a bunch of stuff that doesn't make much sense unless you have worked for NASA for the better part of your life.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
I would avoid java 7. There are many pages around the internet with instruction for installing java 7, but they don't work, and can screw up your apt. I would definitely stick with java 6 for now, which can be easily installed through various means.

That ferramroberto ppa has been around for a while now, and it's widely used and trusted.

You may have to remove the openjdk packages.

Edit: Forgot to ask, is there a specific problem you're having right now?

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Edit: Forgot to ask, is there a specific problem you're having right now?
not so much. just clarification.

anywho .... repo takes forever to DL.SO... got to where you pull the /proc/config.gz file from phone and i assume put it into the source kernel .gz file. i see this in two diff tuts, so what am i missing here. term says it cant do it cuz it isnt a valid dir , and i understand that. but i see nothing in the tuts about extacting the source gz file so that it could be a valid dir.

what am i missing?
thanks

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
not so much. just clarification.

anywho .... repo takes forever to DL.SO... got to where you pull the /proc/config.gz file from phone and i assume put it into the source kernel .gz file. i see this in two diff tuts, so what am i missing here. term says it cant do it cuz it isnt a valid dir , and i understand that. but i see nothing in the tuts about extacting the source gz file so that it could be a valid dir.

what am i missing?
thanks

could you site exactly which tut you are reading I didnt have to do that to get the zimage build (not to say I shouldnt have). Might be that I skipped a step might be that you doing something for the ROM and not the kernel build.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Code:
#Pull kernel config from running phone
adb pull /proc/config.gz ~/android/sources/kernel/
cd ~/android/sources/kernel/
gunzip config.gz

This will leave a file named config in /home/*your-user-name*/android/sources/kernel/ . We need this to see what HTC thinks we have to have in our kernel.

Lets edit the makefile
1. Open your terminal, and head to your kernel source code directory.
2. At the prompt, type

Code:
make clean

this is from the site at my post, two posts up.

its not a required step, and im sure it just does what it implies. i just cant see it being an HTC only thing.

also this step it done at android.com/source/kernel. and i believe that cyanogen wiki has this step too.

i just wanted to know if i was missing something, poss recomended, before i moved on.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
In a previous step in that tutorial, he says to execute the following command
Code:
ln -s /home/*your-user-name*/.Hero_Kernel_sources/[U]*EXACT NAME OF THE FOLDER YOU EXTRACTED FROM THE ZIP[/U] kernel
which creates a symlink ("shortcut") to the folder. Note that the symlink should be to a folder, not a file.

If for some reason it doesn't work, you could copy the config.gz file directly into the folder in question (in his HTC example, it would be /home/*your-user-name*/.Hero_Kernel_sources/*EXACT NAME OF THE FOLDER YOU EXTRACTED FROM THE ZIP).

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
i think i know what i did. sad thing ill have to wait till i get home tonight to see.
i left the actual kernel file still in tar.gz, ill just have to extract it then change the symlink. that should then give me a valid folder.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
well i fixed the issue.
but know when i try to "make clean" i get this
make: arm-eabi-gcc: Command not found
/home/savage/.LG_Kernel_sources/LGP505_kernel/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: arm-eabi-gcc: command not found
/home/savage/.LG_Kernel_sources/LGP505_kernel/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: arm-eabi-gcc: command not found

i reinstalled gcc, and still the same error.

i think this might be some usefull info, as i just thought of it.
the machine i am using, had win7 64bit on intire HD, shrunk the partition , then had linux cd format and install 10.04 32bit on unallocated partition. could this be why i have the above error?

thanks

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
No, it's unrelated to the Windows thing.

Look at gcc-version.sh, and the relevant line #s.

BTW, when you fixed the symlink, did you remove the old symlink?

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Its possible it has something to do with the chain tool version you are using. I ran into issues with the arm-eabi-gcc part of things... I got a different chain tool and it had what I needed in it. Check your chain tool directory and make sure the file you are trying to use in the make is actually there, my guess is that it is not.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
i did remove old symlink.

how do i go about finding what tool chain i have, what i need?
i think my conflict is that i have java 6, and that walk through is getting files for java 5. ya?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
that could be it too ... I will let you know what all I used once have a successful build till then im just groping in the dark like the rest of you so I don't want to drag anyone down. but yeah the java versions will make a difference. and I will see what I can do about getting a good chaintool set

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz