Data service issues with .35 kernel/nbb

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
I decided to start this thread to let people know what I have done to attempt to gain data services with cm7 base roms for .35kernels/nbb. Unfortunately, I must report that I have been unsuccessful. I'm hoping that others that have updated their phones with stock gb will let me know if they have have had a custom rom work with data service. At the moment no one should have wifi until a new kernel is released. Okay so here goes.

1. Manually enter APN info: Immediately after booting to cm7 or any of the several custom roms I have tried, I go into the settings/wireless & networks/mobile networks/Access Point Names. There are none listed in the menu. I then add a new apn. Put in the correct values and then hit save but the new apn disappears.

Now from here if someone were to google things like "apn disappear" or "apn issues with cm7" there are many forum post with people dealing with this issue. I have tried the following things: restore defaults, use cwm to fix permissions and then reboot, and entered all the apn info except mnc and mcc values - leave apn menu and then go back into it - select partially created apn - add mnc and mcc values - reboot phone. Like I said before none of these things had any effect.

2. Back up and restoring apn settings using APNsBU (ROOT) app: What I did here was install the app on my stock gingerbread. Then I backed up my current stock/working apn settings. Then I backed up the app using titanium backup. Then I flashed cm7 and manually installed titanium backup using the including file manager. Restored APNsBu (ROOT) app using titanium backup. Ran up and restored previously backed up apn settings. Again no change at all. After navigating to apn settings it is still blank and I have no service. (yes I rebooted after restoring apn settings as the app directed)

3. editing/replacing apns-conf.xml: The purpose of this file is still a mystery to me but I saw some people saying they were able to regain service by updating this file. For this I used the included terminal editor on cm7 to remount the appropriate blocks to be read/write instead of read only. I than navigated to the file using terminal editor and copied to the sd card. I pulled up the file from the sd card on my computer and added entries for AT&T. I saved the file and copied it back to the etc folder using terminal emulator on my phone. No change so I rebooted and there is no change.

This lead me to believe that this file really has no affect on anything. Several other posted this. Just to make sure I flashed back to stock and copied the file to the sd from there. I then reflashed cm7 and copied the stock apns-conf.xml file to the etc. Again no affect.

This was actually a much longer and harder process than I made it sound. It took me a couple of hours to figure out that all the linux commands I needed for the terminal to give myself the write access/permissions to all of the places I needed.

4. using Market Enabler: Best I can tell, the average person uses Market Enabler to fool the android market into giving them access to apps from different regions. For example, people in Canada or Europe want apps that are only available in the US for whatever reason. I happen to stumble upon some forums where people would make statements like, "you just need to change market enabler to local." I still don't know what those people were talking about exactly. There is no local option in the Market Enabler app. I did think I was on the right track with app however. If I used market enabler and manually set the AT&T code which is 310410 which corresponds to the mnc/mcc values, then apns would appear in the apn menu! yay! But it turned out that my celebration was to early.

I was able to save apn setting and everything like normal after using market enabler. After doing this and selecting the apn nothing would happen. I assume that you probably need to reboot or go into airplane mode for the changes to go into affect. Ofcourse once I did either of those things, everything I had created and saved in the apn menu disappeared. I believe this is because Market Enabler doesn't make any hard changes but I don't really know. There is an option in Market Enabler to boot to some setting but whenever I try to set that the app force closes.

I realize that was a long post but I wanted to get this all out there so that hopefully someone smarter than me will be able to get to the root of the problem.

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

temwt2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Some people have posted in forums that the reason they were not getting data services was that there sim cards were outdated or some incompatible type/format. I wondering if that could have anything to do with what's going on with our data services. I am doubting it because we do have data service with stock gb.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm also having this problem. I flash the newest ICS Kang 4.0.3, then flash the p506 gb stock kernel oldbaseband, and everything works awesome except mobile data service. I've also tried the APN funny sim fix and that just freezes the phone at the android boot logo.