New to Android

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Hello, everybody. After lurking here for about 3 or 4 weeks, I finally made an account today. I'm new to Android, so I have a couple questions I haven't seen answered elsewhere.

I recently acquired my 1st ever Android device, which is also my 1st ever unlocked mobile phone. Now, I've had several never-locked (or, "factory unlocked") phones before, but my LG P505 Phoenix is the 1st phone I've ever had that was branded (AT&T), and later unlocked. In my case, I purchased this phone used, over the internet. It was advertised as being unlocked, and I have confirmed that it works with a non-AT&T SIM.

1. Is that all the proof I need that the phone is truly unlocked, and has been unlocked properly? If a phone is "unlocked," can that mean more than 1 thing?
  2. Is it possible to lose my unlock if I flash the ROM?

Thank you, guys, for any input.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site

Edit: I read about the baseband thing with the LG upgrade utility, and wanted to avoid it for now, though I don't really know the significance, yet.

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
Ok, good!

I noticed you guys are saying "you shouldn't lose it" and "I don't think so." Are you just being cautious, so you don't get blamed for my misdeeds?

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I said it because that's not something I personally have experience with, as I use a CDMA provider so SIM unlock isn't part of my phone tweaking.

But it's been confirmed on XDA that you won't lose unlock - i say shouldn't because you never know, there may be some weird fluke somewhere.

Sent from my 3VO using Tapatalk

Reactions: PersonaNonGrata

PersonaNonGrata

Mar 15, 2012
Visit site
So what are the down sides to upgrading to 2.3.4? I know the baseband gets upgraded, which makes other ROM flashes trickier (at least as I understand it). Anything else? Is it worth it to upgrade?

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
so far just the lock screen lag. over all performance isnt that smooth, but neither was froyo.

has better battery life is the main thing

Last edited:

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You could always get a different recovery and flash cm9 with the appropriate p505 kernel.
Then you get awesome battery and no lock screen lag.
I'm just waiting for a good new baseband kernel to go back.

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes you can flash old baseband. I don't have time to play that game.
As for a new baseband kernel ... there is reayne' s and jobans.
Reayne ' s is stock. Don't know much about it.
Jobans first release Wifi don't work, data works only if you flash " funny sim version".
Joban has fixed the Wifi and maybe some other tweaks. But hasn't released it yet. Crossing fingers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674