[ROM][ICS][4.0.4] Piccolo

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I had installation problems with this rom and the unofficial cm9 build for p505. I edited updater scripts on both and the latter installed. Testing now. Hopefully I can flash this rom after my changes. Will try this evening after work. :wink:

Sent from my LG-P506

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Just downloaded the alpha 3. I wiped data/cache, cache partition, and dalvik. Rom installed and booted beautifully first try. I will test for the next few days and report usage. (Unless an amazing new JB build gets released). hehe :p

Using LG Thrive.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Just downloaded the alpha 3. I wiped data/cache, cache partition, and dalvik. Rom installed and booted beautifully first try. I will test for the next few days and report usage. (Unless an amazing new JB build gets released). hehe :p

Using LG Thrive.

When not testing jb I've been using this rom. Its fairly stable. I did have a random reboot today for no apparent reason. Other than that no issues and I'm running this on mg LG-P506 Thrive. :D

Sent from my LG-P506

istos

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
When not testing jb I've been using this rom. Its fairly stable. I did have a random reboot today for no apparent reason. Other than that no issues and I'm running this on mg LG-P506 Thrive. :D

Sent from my LG-P506

I saw on an earlier post from you that some mods had to be made in order to get it installed on your P506. I tried installing it today and it gave me an Error 7.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I saw on an earlier post from you that some mods had to be made in order to get it installed on your P506. I tried installing it today and it gave me an Error 7.

Yeah. I had to edit the updater-script in the ROM itself to include checks for the P506 and P500 models because of the recovery I'm using. I'm guessing that you are having a similiar problem since you are having the same error I had. I can post my reworked updater-script if you'd like. Give me a few minutes. I want to be sure that you can just replace the script in the ROM with my updated script.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Ok. Here's the modified updater-script for Piccolo.

Bear in mind that this is only a work-around, not a permanent fix, for those using a LG-P500 CWM instead of the correct CWM for your device.

What you will need to do:

1) Download the modified updater-script
2) Download the Old baseband fix. Search for it. It's here. I've uploaded it and given references to other threads as to where it can be found.
3) Unzip the Piccolo ROM into it's own folder
4) Goto "Path to unzipped Piccolo\META-INF\com\google\android" and replace the "updater-script" with the one in the zip downloaded in step 1
5) Repackage the ROM. Simply zip all the files in the folder where you unzipped Piccolo to into a new zip file.
6) Copy to SDCARD
7) Reboot device into CWM
8) Install the ROM
9) Reboot recovery
10) Install old baseband zip
11) Reboot device
12) ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Why was it necessary to do all of these extra steps? I wiped the phone then flashed piccolo like normal and had 0 issues using the thrive. Maybe you should switch recoveries? I'm using CWM Recovery v5.0.2.0.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Why was it necessary to do all of these extra steps? I wiped the phone then flashed piccolo like normal and had 0 issues using the thrive. Maybe you should switch recoveries? I'm using CWM Recovery v5.0.2.0.

Quite simply because I don't have all the answers. This worked for my situation. Plus I'm liking the touch recovery especially since the keys have been remapped and I have issues with my power button.

Sent from my LG-P506

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Quite simply because I don't have all the answers. This worked for my situation. Plus I'm liking the touch recovery especially since the keys have been remapped and I have issues with my power button.

Sent from my LG-P506

Ah I see. maybe you should point out that those steps are only necessary with your recovery, just so people with normal cwm know its not required.

do you think modifying the script will be necessary for all releases?
Sent from my LG-p505 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Ah I see. maybe you should point out that those steps are only necessary with your recovery, just so people with normal cwm know its not required.

do you think modifying the script will be necessary for all releases?
Sent from my LG-p505 using Android Central Forums

I actually had stated that it was a work-around not a fix. I edited my post and made it obvious that this was not a fix.
From what I've read and been told, we shouldn't be having this issue , no matter what CWM we run. I believe my problem is the fact that the CWM I'm using was for the P500. Someone else patched the CWM to fix the color issue.

Sent from my LG-P506

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I actually had stated that it was a work-around not a fix. I edited my post and made it obvious that this was not a fix.
From what I've read and been told, we shouldn't be having this issue , no matter what CWM we run. I believe my problem is the fact that the CWM I'm using was for the P500. Someone else patched the CWM to fix the color issue.

Sent from my LG-P506

I'm using cwm 5.0.2.0 with color issues and haven't had problems. if that helps

Sent from my LG-p506 using Android Central Forums

rbross3030

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Arjen I just wanna thank you for this release, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Installed this with CWM 502 after doing a full system/dalvik/cache wipe then did old bb fix (thrive) and this beauty is FAST & CLEAN! I'll run this as long as it works well and get back if I find any bugs! Thanks again! :D

edit: can anyone tell me whats the appropriate version of google apps to install on here? I've been using the 08-21-2011 version(?) but that was on CM7... also - is there an "official" site to get g.apps zips? I thought I remember going to a google project repository somewhere but I can't find it now...

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Arjen I just wanna thank you for this release, this is exactly what I've been looking for. Installed this with CWM 502 after doing a full system/dalvik/cache wipe then did old bb fix (thrive) and this beauty is FAST & CLEAN! I'll run this as long as it works well and get back if I find any bugs! Thanks again! :D

edit: can anyone tell me whats the appropriate version of google apps to install on here? I've been using the 08-21-2011 version(?) but that was on CM7... also - is there an "official" site to get g.apps zips? I thought I remember going to a google project repository somewhere but I can't find it now...

If you have any version installed just let google update you to the newest version. This will happen automatically when you go to the playstore/market.

Reactions: rbross3030

rbross3030

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
If you have any version installed just let google update you to the newest version. This will happen automatically when you go to the playstore/market.

Gotcha, thanks donovan! I just installed the ICS version posted on CM's google apps wiki:

Latest Version/Google Apps - CyanogenMod Wiki

and all is working great.

Worth noting: battery charges very fast with this release and seems to last a long time. Scrolling through homescreens even with live wallpapers is surprisingly smooth as well! I feel like I have a new phone! :cool:

Thanks again!

rbross3030

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ROM][ICS][4.0.4] Piccolo - Update on Performance

OK so after a few days of using this ROM on my thrive I am reporting back with results:

Rom is still very stable, has not crashed or randomly restarted other than during the problem below.

Battery life is still awesome.

WiFi & Bluetooth work - I can control my iTunes over Wifi using Remote for iTunes, can connect my Plantronics headset without fuss.

USB Mass Storage works - music in my car via USB

ICS is generally a hell of a lot nicer to use than GB :cool:

So tethering is working, sort of. It's running and stable right now, but it seems to be touchy. Sometimes the phone will restart when I toggle on hotspot tethering, especially if it's right after I modify the hotspot settings (eg name, password). I also have not been able to get FoxFi working via wifi, which is a bummer because I'd prefer to be able to use it's proxy abilities. Anyone else having issues with tether?

All in all still the most stable and functional build I've ran and will likely continue using it. I am running a Galaxy Core live wallpaper along with Minimalistic Text and it is smooth, responsive & gorgeous and has little effect on battery life.

I've attached a few screenshots - I've never run ICS on this phone before so I don't know how much this differs from stock - but you get the idea either way ;) Same as stock ICS

Last edited:

kushkingz

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
This rom was very nice but in the end was a bit to buggy for me. Like music would skip every now and then, Instagram and Facebook would up, etc. But I still enjoyed using ICS for the last 2 weeks.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I don't have this device but the name caught my eye. My last name is Piccolo.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

rbross3030

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
This rom was very nice but in the end was a bit to buggy for me. Like music would skip every now and then, Instagram and Facebook would up, etc. But I still enjoyed using ICS for the last 2 weeks.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Tapatalk

It seems as if this ROM is trying to keep too much in RAM, could be nothing in particular to this vs. any other ICS release--thrive is kinda a gimp compared to modern devices running ICS. I went into Developer Options and enable "Kill app back button." I think that lot of that stuff that pops up is running in the background and just needs to be killed. If my homescreen isn't scrolling smoothly I'll hold down the back button to kill the launcher. It will automatically relaunch after a couple seconds BUT if there are other processes running in the background they will be brought forward one at a time and I can selectively kill them one by one until I'm back at the launcher again and things will run far faster at that point. I understand that force killing apps is a topic of debate but I find it hard to argue against it in a case like this where killing everything makes the phone perform exceptionally smoother. One could also play with the Background process limit in developer options but I don't mess with it because I don't know what the default selected "standard limit" actually means and many background processes are normal & necessary anyways.

Great rom! Cant wait for a new version, I did find this one a bit buggy.

~OneForth

So far tethering is the only major problem I've noticed. Native tethering crashes the phone after using it once and third party tethering apps don't seem to work at all, pretty bummed about that actually because AT&T throttles the hell out of my tethered connection if I don't use a proxy, an option only available with FoxFi addon.

I've also noticed that sometimes apps running unknowingly in the background can hog priority of the volume control--so that even when you are at the home screen the volume rockers will change the media volume instead of the ringer volume...

What bugs did you find OneForth?

EDIT: I've flashed AOKP for p500 followed by flashing joban's kernel followed by flashing arjen's 6/19 ICS kernel and am still encountering the same exact tethering bug in a different rom which leads me to believe that it is more like the kernel causing the problem... see here.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie