[TOOL] [BETA] [Windows] Android Flash Recovery

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Introduction

Since I'm not a ROM developer or Java coder, I thought I could help by donating this little tool, that was origionally written for my personal use, for all to utilize in an attempt to give back to this community.

WinFastboot - Flash Recovery has been renamed to Android Flash Recovery

Requirements

- A PC running Microsoft Windows. 32 or 64 bit.
- Correct Android USB drivers installed for your device
- An Android powered device with debugging enabled

Description

Android Flash Recovery is a Windows GUI front-end for the Windows version of fastboot. This particular tool is designed to simplify flashing an Android device's recovery partition. Android Flash Recovery WILL NOT repair a bricked device. The device must be able to be put in to fastboot mode for Android Flash Recovery to be able to work. Since Android Flash Recovery is just a GUI for fastboot, the same applies for fastboot.

Installation

Installing Android Flash Recovery is simple too. Just unzip to a folder of your choice and then execute androidflashrecovery.exe, assuming your device drivers are already installed.

If you haven't installed your drivers yet, then they will need to be installed before using Android Flash Recovery as your device won't be detected.

If you are an LG user, the latest LG United Mobile USB drivers are are in a sub-folder of Android Flash Recovery, titled "USB". If you have attempted to install your USB drivers in the past with no success or with errors, go to Control Panel and uninstall any LG driver setup program you may find. Reboot your computer. Run the driver installation program. Make sure your device is NOT connected to the PC. Reboot your PC once more. Enable USB debugging on your device the power it off, trust me. ;) After your PC has fully booted, plug your device into a USB port. Do not plug in to a USB hub. Windows may detect your device at this point and begin searching for or installing drivers. Power on your phone. Wait for all devices to be installed. For Froyo and GingerBread phones this is normally 5 or 6 devices. For ICS and JB this is 4 devices I believe. The important one is 'Android Single Sooner Interface'. This won't be installed if USB debugging isn't enabled on the device. Now your drivers should be installed and you can use Android Flash Recovery at your leisure.

Using

Using Android Flash Recovery is even easier than installing it. Browse for the recovery you wish to flash and press the 'Flash Recovery' button. NOTE: In order for Android Flash Recovery to flash, your device MUST BE in fastboot mode.

Included with Android Flash Recovery are the adb binaries with support libraries as well as fastboot. Android Flash Recovery is written to use the binaries included in it's package. Also included is the driver setup application for LGE Android Mobile devices ( United Mobile USB Drivers ).

Post questions here. I will try to answer them as I can. I have a regular full-time job so I am not a full-time developer. You may also email me at shinobisoft@yahoo.com. Set your subject line to "Android Flash Recovery". If the subject line isn't correct your email will be ignored.

Download

Latest version here -> Android Flash Recovery

Previous versions:

Last edited:

failed1234

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I'm not a ROM developer or Java coder, I thought I could help by donating this little tool, that was origionally written for my personal use, for all to utilize in an attempt to give back to this community.

WinFastboot is a Windows GUI front-end for the Windows version of fastboot. This particular tool is designed to simply flashing a devices recovery partition.

Installing WinFastboot is simple too. Just unzip to a folder of your choice and then execute WinFastboot.exe.

Using WinFastboot is even easier than installing it. Browse for the recovery you wish to flash and press the 'Flash Recovery' button. NOTE: In order for WinFastboot to flash, your device MUST BE in bootloader/fastboot mode.

Included with WinFastboot are the adb binaries with support libraries as well as fastboot. WinFastboot is written to use the binaries included in it's package. Also included is the driver setup application for LGE Android Mobile devices.

Post questions here. I will try to answer them as I can. I have a regular full-time job so I am not a full-time developer. You may also email me at shinobisoft@yahoo.com. Set your subject line to "WinFastboot - Flash Recovery". If the subject line isn't correct your email will be ignored.

Download here -> WinFastboot

Cool cool cool I'll try it next week. Did it work OK for you?

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire using Android Central Forums

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: [TOOL] [BETA] WinFastboot

Cool cool cool I'll try it next week. Did it work OK for you?

Works great on my LG Thrive P506. I don't have any other android devices to test on tho. That's why the thread title contains [BETA] in it until I can determine which devices it works with and which ones it doesn't. ;)

This is just an initial release also. I have a few other features I'd like to add, like installing from a CWM zip. If I can get this tool right, I can then write another for flashing ROMs and patches :D

failed1234

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Works great on my LG Thrive P506. I don't have any other android devices to test on tho. That's why the thread title contains [BETA] in it until I can determine which devices it works with and which ones it doesn't. ;)

This is just an initial release also. I have a few other features I'd like to add, like installing from a CWM zip. If I can get this tool right, I can then write another for flashing ROMs and patches :D

So I shouldn't try it on my 505 then?

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

So I shouldn't try it on my 505 then?

Not saying that at all. Fastboot is supposed to work on all Android devices to my knowledge. More than likely if there are any problems it will be on the PC end, specificially my GUI.

Reactions: failed1234

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

I am going to post minor fixes here before compiling and reuploading the WinFastboot archive.

FIXES

Fixed where device was rebooting after flashing a recovery just not into the new recovery. Now the device reboots into the recovery after flashing. That is if the option to do so is enabled. NoteThe device actually reboots twice, no need to worry, this is normal.

WinFastboot now supports flashing recoveries from zip archives :D. It looks for 'recovery.img' in the root of the archive.

Last edited:

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

I'm currently in the process of adding support for flashing a recovery from a zip style recovery. I haven't implemented any method to varify that the archive does actually contain a valid recovery image other than attempting to locate a file named 'recovery.img' in the root of the archive. This will be implemented in a much more specific and precise manner at a later date. Once I'm finished with this part, I'll rebuild the distribution archive and upload it.

My main goal is to implement all basic and needed functionality without implementing a bunch of useless crap that may or may not get used. After I can confirm that everything is working, I can then venture on to fine tuning everything.

Last edited:
Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone have a recovery image i could use for my p506?

There are a couple posted on the jb thread for our device. I'd give you a link but I'm not near a PC to look it up for you :(

Edit:
Found it Here
That's the generic touch version but there are others in the same thread ;)
Sent from my LG-P506 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

Recently installed Linux/Ubuntu on my computer. I've been a Windows user and programmer for so long. Linux/Ubuntu loads much faster that Windows 7 ever could. I'll keep working on WinFastboot for the Windows users out here, but I'm also gonna look into writing a Linux version as well.

Reactions: AdictoDigital

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

welcome to ubuntu. i dual booted mine 7 months ago. i think ive booted into windows 3 times sence. i tried to build a kernel, but ran out of free time to really learn and understand it.

Reactions: bill.weckel

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

welcome to ubuntu. i dual booted mine 7 months ago. i think ive booted into windows 3 times sence. i tried to build a kernel, but ran out of free time to really learn and understand it.

Thanks. I'm using WUBI, which to my understanding is not a dual boot scenario. But, I'm taking a liking to it so far. Was definately easier getting Ubuntu to recognize my phone than it was for Windows. :cool:

I've downloaded and installed everything I need to develop for Android. That's my next step. That is, when I get the time to learn it. :p

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

Just tried it, aaaannnnddddd... It worked! Thank you so much! Saved my dad some money.

I'm glad I could help.:D My main motivation behind this program is the fact that most people are intimidated by console or command-line apps.:eek: Throw in a GUI and it seems that some fears get pushed aside. ;)

On another note, WinFastboot can now flash a recovery via a zip file. I have a few minor things that I'd like to work out before uploading the update tho.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site

I have somewhat of a serious question here.

Since WinFastboot is really new here, I've been thinking of renaming it to Android Flash Recovery as I have a much better idea for an application/tool that has abilities that would better benefit from the title/name WinFastboot.

I really need some input please. If it's left completely up to me, then I will rename WinFastboot to Android Flash Recovery and continue on with my new project which will be titled WinFastboot.

Reactions: AdictoDigital

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

i dont see why not. anyone here would know. thou a name that would better describe the tool.
android fastboot, recovery flasher, ... just spit ballin

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: [TOOL] [BETA] [Windows] WinFastboot - Flash Recovery

Since I have had practically zero feedback about my previous post, I've decided to rename "WinFastboot - Flash Recovery" to "Android Flash Recovery". I'd also like to mention that it will be updated later this evening. I have a few more minor things to wrap up and then I'll upload and post a new link.

I've had quite a few downloads, so I know my app is being tried. I really need some feedback folks. If you have issues with, a feature request, or even a simpe UI improvement/suggestion. I'm also curious as to the types of devices that my app is being used in conjunction with. What works and what doesn't.

Thanks.

failed1234

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Since I have had practically zero feedback about my previous post, I've decided to rename "WinFastboot - Flash Recovery" to "Android Flash Recovery". I'd also like to mention that it will be updated later this evening. I have a few more minor things to wrap up and then I'll upload and post a new link.

I've had quite a few downloads, so I know my app is being tried. I really need some feedback folks. If you have issues with, a feature request, or even a simpe UI improvement/suggestion. I'm also curious as to the types of devices that my app is being used in conjunction with. What works and what doesn't.

Thanks.

I think it's perfect as is. Simple and it works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Android Central Forums

Reactions: bill.weckel

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: [TOOL] [BETA] [Windows] WinFastboot - Flash Recovery

I think it's perfect as is. Simple and it works. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my LG-P505 using Android Central Forums

I understand where you're coming from failed1234, and thanks. I haven't changed any of the important stuff ;), just trying to make it better, safer to use, and a little more pleasing to the eye. No major changes for the UI itself, mainly just in the manner that user notifications are displayed. :p

Reactions: failed1234

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1