[how to]cm7 + cm9 + cm10

yarcz

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: [HOW TO]Perfect working CM7

I would recommend lgp505icskernel-14062012.zip ...the one you recommended drains the battery like crazy, and it doesnt even fix the axis inversion bug ( i wish there was a fix for that!!) cant play cartoon wars 2 or zombie assault 3 which are awesome games that run on the thrive but unplayable with the multitouch bug. But yes everything ELSE looks to run perfect.

Have no idea why you recommend the unamable kernel first. worked fine for me without flashing that kernel at all

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend lgp505icskernel-14062012.zip ...the one you recommended drains the battery like crazy, and it doesnt even fix the axis inversion bug ( i wish there was a fix for that!!) cant play cartoon wars 2 or zombie assault 3 which are awesome games that run on the thrive but unplayable with the multitouch bug. But yes everything ELSE looks to run perfect.

Have no idea why you recommend the unamable kernel first. worked fine for me without flashing that kernel at all

Wifi doesn't work if you don't flash the first kernel. As far as I know there is no multi touch fix for our phone. I don't have the battery drain you mentioned. I'll try the other kernel and test.

Sent from my LG-p506 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

yarcz

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

i never had a problem with wifi. i think its because before i wiped everything i backed up settings with rom toolbox. the battery drain was so bad that i tryex the other kernel with full wipes and no jobans kernel just to see. after restoring settingz with rom toolbox i had no wifi issues.

the battery drain looks like the phone never slept or something. i would get 70% drain overnight.

Last edited:

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

i never had a problem with wifi. i think its because before i wiped everything i backed up settings with rom toolbox. the battery drain was so bad that i tryex the other kernel with full wipes and no jobans kernel just to see. after restoring settingz with rom toolbox i had no wifi issues.

the battery drain looks like the phone never slept or something. i would get 70% drain overnight.

Are you leaving wifi or 3g on? Overnight you should only lose 5-10% battery while the phone is idle. Also check you don't have app's running that are keeping the phone awake. I guess rom toolbox backed up some info for wifi becuase trust me, before I discovered this fix, wifi did not work with arjens kernel alone.

yarcz

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

Are you leaving wifi or 3g on? Overnight you should only lose 5-10% battery while the phone is idle. Also check you don't have app's running that are keeping the phone awake. I guess rom toolbox backed up some info for wifi becuase trust me, before I discovered this fix, wifi did not work with arjens kernel alone.

I leave both on and i get good signal on both in my bedroom. I did try to remove almost everything with a startup manager and that didnt seem to work.

What it looks like to me is that when you startup with the "unnamable" kernel it causes some configuration in wifi settings that arjens does not. I would try this all over again to make sure but i am so happy with the way my phone is now with apps and settings i wouldnt want to lose anything.. I do know for sure tho, is i did not flash our thrives first kernel ever made... Why is he unnamable now? that sucks, he was the first to have our phones capable of roms.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I do know for sure tho, is i did not flash our thrives first kernel ever made... Why is he unnamable now? that sucks, he was the first to have our phones capable of roms.

The un-namable person were speaking about is most likely "joban" which did some of the first work for this device. Without getting into a long winded explanation he didn't follow the rules and guidelines we have set forth here for development and the end result was he was banned from participating.

Since then we have had donavan, Oathkeeper1212, Arjen and many others come along to provide the best experience possible for their fellow Phoenix/Thrive users..

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I leave both on and i get good signal on both in my bedroom. I did try to remove almost everything with a startup manager and that didnt seem to work.

What it looks like to me is that when you startup with the "unnamable" kernel it causes some configuration in wifi settings that arjens does not. I would try this all over again to make sure but i am so happy with the way my phone is now with apps and settings i wouldnt want to lose anything.. I do know for sure tho, is i did not flash our thrives first kernel ever made... Why is he unnamable now? that sucks, he was the first to have our phones capable of roms.

Turn off wifi and 3G data when you aren't using it. It kills battery on most roms and phones. That is why it is draining 70% overnight. Also try to recalibrate battery...Charge to 100%, wipe battery stats in recovery (or use app battery calibrator), then let it drain all the way down til it dies, or very close to it. Then recharge it to 100%....Your battery could also be dying. Depending on how many charges you have put on it and just the age of the battery, it could be losing its charge capacity. Lithium Ion batteries don't have memory though so you don't have to fully discharge everytime to keep the battery healthy.

I attempted trying the 6-14 ICS kernel, and wifi did not work with it at all, wouldn't even enable. I flashed the 6-19 ics kernel and voila, wifi is back. I don't know what you did but rom toolbox is obviously restoring files. I guarentee if you were to wipe and reflash the rom and then just the 6-14 kernel WIFI would not work. The reason I made this entire thread was to fix this, and everybody else seems to agree my method is required for fully working cm7. I don't see how your phone would be special and not require this.

Last edited:

yarcz

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

whats up with the hissy fit? im not the only one who says the battery life is drasticly different after that kernel.. your method works fine, relax. dont let ur head explode. im only saying battery life is perfect and wifi works perfect for me. obviously i dont need a tutorial how to save battery life if i can see a difference between two updates.. well anyways, good luck to you.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

whats up with the hissy fit? im not the only one who says the battery life is drasticly different after that kernel.. your method works fine, relax. dont let ur head explode. im only saying battery life is perfect and wifi works perfect for me. obviously i dont need a tutorial how to save battery life if i can see a difference between two updates.. well anyways, good luck to you.

I'm 90% sure you are just trolling now but I will respond anyways. I don't know what gave you the impression of a hissy fit but I was simply stating facts.

I'm glad its working for you. I don't have the battery issues you had though.

Wifi doesn't work for the 6/14 kernel and on a fresh wipe Joban kernel flash is required first.

Last edited:

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

I'm 90% sure you are just trolling now but I will respond anyways. I don't know what gave you the impression of a hissy fit but I was simply stating facts.

I'm glad its working for you. I don't have the battery issues you had though.

Wifi doesn't work for the 6/14 kernel and on a fresh wipe Joban kernel flash is required first.

Actaully after installing (as per directions) my battery life was terrible a few hours at best but it has gotten better after a few charges. Bluetooth seems to be he biggest eater of power on mine as long as I keep this off it does well enough to be usable. I really think there is something with the p500 kernels that they have fixed that Arjen never got a chance to. I did wipe the cache so maybe it takes a while to rebuild it or something.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Actaully after installing (as per directions) my battery life was terrible a few hours at best but it has gotten better after a few charges. Bluetooth seems to be he biggest eater of power on mine as long as I keep this off it does well enough to be usable. I really think there is something with the p500 kernels that they have fixed that Arjen never got a chance to. I did wipe the cache so maybe it takes a while to rebuild it or something.

It could be the rom also I suspect. I'm on the 9/2 cm7 p500 nightly now.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Android Central Forums

rbross3030

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

It could be the rom also I suspect. I'm on the 9/2 cm7 p500 nightly now.

Sent from my LG-P506 using Android Central Forums

To correct myself, I didn't follow your instructions exactly as I didn't use a nightly, so perhaps that's why I was having battery issues? I calibrated and charged several cycles and it didn't get any better. I installed a "stable" release of CM7 hoping that I would get USB mass storage that way but it was to no avail, personally a deal-breaker for this setup unfortunately.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

Has anybody else tried the 6/14 kernel instead of the 6/19 after flashing the unnamed kernel? One person has said it helped his battery life, but when I tried the 6/14 kernel as he suggested I had no wifi whatsoever. He also said he didn't even have to flash unnamed kernel before the ICS kernel, but I believe that would be a world first if everything worked for him that way.

Deathglobe

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

I flashed the 6/19 battery and my phone last two days with my normal use which is mostly texting and occasional quick phone call. I do keep my data turned off and screen at lowest dim.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

After clearing the battery cache and about three charges (some full some short), I am doing a test on the battery to see how long it lasts, so far I am at 33.5 hours with minimal to moderate usage, Wifi on, Bluetooth off, GPS off and if my little graph is working I still have about 1/3 to 1/2 battery to go. I will update the thread when it yells that it needs a charge.

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

After clearing the battery cache and about three charges (some full some short), I am doing a test on the battery to see how long it lasts, so far I am at 33.5 hours with minimal to moderate usage, Wifi on, Bluetooth off, GPS off and if my little graph is working I still have about 1/3 to 1/2 battery to go. I will update the thread when it yells that it needs a charge.

That isn't bad at all. My roommate's stock droid x with gb gets way worse battery life than my cm7. He has to charge every night, and sometimes charges during the day to when hes not busy to ensure it will last. He doesn't use wifi, or gps, but he uses 3g 24/7. I think people are just dreaming of a battery life like the nokia 3310 had, hoping for 4+ days without a charge without realizing we already have it better than most smart phones.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site

OK here is the final number

41 hours 23mins 8s with 15% battery left.

This was again with

Wifi / 3G on
Bluetooth off
GPS off
screen normal
sounds normal
vibrate on

made a few calls and played a game for at least 2 hours

ClydeS

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site

I have been looking for the past 2 hours... can someone link the OLD BB fix for the thrive?? i feel dumb as its probably right under my nose huh :'(

korrectmethod

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site

I have been looking for the past 2 hours... can someone link the OLD BB fix for the thrive?? i feel dumb as its probably right under my nose huh :'(

Indeed it is right under your nose. Post 6, on the first page of this thread. :) it is scattered other places as well.

Reactions: ClydeS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34