Unlock question

Deathglobe

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I currently use the thrive on att network. Is it possible to use this phone with t mobile? And if so do i need to buy a unlock code or can I flash a rom that already makes it unlocked for any network?

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
There is a chance you can convince att to give it to you .but other wise you need to buy it.
I dont know what you would need to say. But I presume that it would
Be that your going somewhere that doesn't have att service.
Good luck. Give feedback if you get att to give it to you.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok here is what you need to do to get AT&T to release the phone. First you will have to have it long enough to cover the cost of the phone in AT&T's eyes. Next call them and tell them you want to use your phone overseas and your not sure how it all works and you want to make sure your phone is unlocked so you dont get screw having to buy a new phone when you get there. They will tell you that you can just use the phone like normal over there. But tell them it will cost you a fortune to do that and it will be way cheaper for you to just get service from a local provider. They should be willing to unlock the phone if they aren't, call back and try again eventually you will find someone that will... the other option is to tell them your giving the phone to a friend and they dont want to use AT&T. Once the phone is unlocked though you may have some issue getting it to work on the new provider there are some configuration that needs done. I'm getting ready to do the same thing soon if I can figure it out I will let you know how it works if you figure it out please post it somewhere to help the rest of us.

Deathglobe

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
i got it unlocked. I just went to a website and paid for a code. I plan to switch to t mobile's 30$ a month plan for unlimited txt data and 100 mins. I tried my girlfriends sim out in the phone and it worked only it had edge and not the 3g working but for that to work I just need to find there apn and add that into the settings?

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Maybe depends on where your are at ... a lot of T mobiles 3g towers use different technology from AT&T so you can't actually run 3g ... I would check into this more before you commit personally I would try to get it to work with straight talk. it actually uses AT&Ts towers but it cost 45$ for unlimited everything.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
i got it unlocked. I just went to a website and paid for a code. I plan to switch to t mobile's 30$ a month plan for unlimited txt data and 100 mins. I tried my girlfriends sim out in the phone and it worked only it had edge and not the 3g working but for that to work I just need to find there apn and add that into the settings?

Did you go to T-Mobile or Simple Mobile? I can upload apn's for both tonight if you'd like.

Sent from my LG-P509

Deathglobe

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I went to a unlock website i dont remember exact url. They sent me a code that unlocked my phone. I was more curious for t mobiles because of the whole unlimited data for 30 that is a price range close to what my current plan is which is 25$

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I went to a unlock website i dont remember exact url. They sent me a code that unlocked my phone. I was more curious for t mobiles because of the whole unlimited data for 30 that is a price range close to what my current plan is which is 25$

I switched from AT&T to Simple Mobile. And like you, I was on AT&T's $25 plan, but with Simple Mobile for $40, flat $40 and no tax, I get unlimited everything. I did end up changing phones tho. Anyway since Simple Mobile uses T-Mobile towers, I have APN's for both.

APN for T-MOBILE ::->
Name: T-Mobile US or T-Mobile GPRS
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Server: *
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MCC: 310
MNC: 260
APN type: default,supl,mms
APN protocol: IPv4/IPv6

All other fields left blank or unset. Hope this helps.

bill.weckel

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
It should, no guarantees tho. As I stated previously, I own a P506, but I ended up buying a P509 to use with Simple Mobile, mainly because I don't do credit cards, so I couldn't pay for an online service to unlock the phone from AT&T.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
So with this it should give me 3g on the thrive?

As I said before it depending on where you are in the country. T-Mobile will not work in 3G mode with the LG P505 or P506 in most cases. T-Mobile uses a AWS on 1.7ghz in most of their towers. AT&T uses PCS on 1.9ghz. These are two totally different frequencies and two totally different data formats. Simply put it will not work.

(AT&T) LG Phoenix / Thrive uses the following frequencies.
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 850, 1900, 2100 MHz
As an example here is another Optimus one clone that was release by T-Mobile compared to the P505/506
(T-Mobile) LG Optimus T
GSM: 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz
UMTS: 1700/2100, 2100 MHz

So to put it another way your radio can't pick up the frequency it needs to talk to the Tmobile towers in 3G nor would it know how if it did... EDGE will still work but you will not be able to get 3G unless you are lucky enough to live in areas where T-Mobile has already converted there towers over to support the 1900mhz. I tried doing the same thing a while back with one of T-Mobiles HTC G1's and could not get it to work after hours of trying everything I finally figure out that the radio just didn't support it. This is the same deal only in reverse. Good luck to you but your probably barking up the wrong tree here.

f2racer

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
As I said before it depending on where you are in the country. T-Mobile will not work in 3G mode with the LG P505 or P506 in most cases. T-Mobile uses a AWS on 1.7ghz in most of their towers. AT&T uses PCS on 1.9ghz. These are two totally different frequencies and two totally different data formats. Simply put it will not work.

Is there any way to flash the Optimus T radio on the Phoenix?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress