5 Bars vs. 3G

meowzer

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
This is probably a stupid question, but my Thrive is my very first smartphone.

Question: On a recent road trip while traveling down the highway my Thrive occasionally had 5 bars of signal strength to make phone calls but no 3G data access. Can someone please explain that?

Just thought of another question: Whenever I did have 3G data access, sometimes the symbol was "3G" and other times it was "E." Anyone know the difference?

meowzer

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious. Was this a really stupid question that everyone knows the answer to?

Or does no one know the answer?

Maybe rooting is all anyone is interested in. . . . And if so, that's okay. I'll just need to find a different forum for help.

bconover93

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
"3G" means 3G. "E" means EDGE--Enhanced Data for GSM Evolution (or something like that). Edge is just a slower data connection.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: meowzer

n2alltheworld

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
3G is Highspeed internet and "E" is a slower Data connection. You were driving in an area that doesn't have "3G" data speeds so it switches to "E" edge. You still have internet access, but it's just going to be slow. But still it's better than nothing. =)

Reactions: meowzer

meowzer

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, bconover and n2, for that information about 3G and E.

Do either of you understand why there were areas with 5 bars of signal to make calls but no 3G or E for data? I assumed they were tied together. I tried googling for this information, but could not find it. Just trying to understand the basics of a smartphone. :-[

Edit: Please disregard this question. I found the answer on another forum.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams