This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Rooting the phone will not give you free data. It will let you do things like tethering and blocking ads and removing unwanted programs, but your data usage is controlled by AT&T at the server side of things. If an exploit was found that would let AT&T phones use free data they would lock it down lickity split the Cell carrier can't control your phone so what they do is control your access to their network through use of the IMEI & SIM card Numbers. It checks a database to see if your phone has access to a certain service. If it doesn't you don't get that service unless you activate it with them at which time you can expect a bill. You can however use WiFi for free till your eyes bleed on the phone without rooting it.

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I down loaded the gingerbreak but now. I am lost what do I do? Sorry new to this

Follow the instructions on the first post they're step by step.

As to what you can do to get the most out of you phone. That really depends on what you want to do. Basically rooting your phone opens it up to let you load any software you like on it. Some features of the phone are crippled when you don't have root access this just frees your phone and makes it so you can load what ever you like. Be warned though there are downside to rooting and you should look into them before you root your phone.

dmullens

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Link2SD and Droidwall have ended up being the best reason to root for me. I'm on the Thrive (GoPhone) so I pay for my data usage. Droidwall has allowed me to limit access to 3G data. Now only the programs I _want_ to use 3G data can.

Link2SD has allowed me to install apps to my hearts content. Before Link2SD I had to keep deleting apps off (even though I was using App2SD) and I would still end up with 20 megs internal ram. After getting Link2SD setup (which means you have to partition your SD card into 2 primary partitions), I now have about 70 megs internal ram. That's even with install apps like Google+, Google Sky, Rhapsody, Google Music, Sound Hound, multiple weather apps, Amazon Music, etc, etc, etc.

Link2SD works so well, I wonder why they didn't build something like that into the phone! I've been using this for about a week now. It's nice not having to keep deleting apps because of low memory.

So, for me, those two things are the biggest reason to root. There is also the ability to use the phone as a wifi hotspot (Tethering), but since I pay for my data, that isn't a big reason for me to root.

Reactions: LifesGoodPhoenix

qpefax

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi just rooted my thrive ....sucess. Now I still cant move to sd some of the apps in my phone memory to gain some of the memory space. this phone comes with only 200mb and I have only 45mb left how can i gain more. Thank you in advance

donavan

May 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi just rooted my thrive ....sucess. Now I still cant move to sd some of the apps in my phone memory to gain some of the memory space. this phone comes with only 200mb and I have only 45mb left how can i gain more. Thank you in advance

Congrads, the phone actually has more than 200mb of storage but AT&Ts crap takes up a bunch of it, If space is a concern you may wish to look into removing some of there apps but be careful you can muck up the phone if you get rid of the wrong thing. I would look into getting CWM installed on your phone. That way if you kill your phone you can at least re-flash. As far as moving apps to the SD some apps will break if they are moved off of the phone to the SD card, which can cause your phone to wet the bed and cry for mommy. There are ways to force programs to the SD but use with caution.

Jelibat

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Just in case anyone had the same problem I did...At first root failed to work and it said I had superuser (which I didn't--waited 10 minutes)--then I retried rooting it again and it worked, within 2 minutes it rebooted :)

qpefax

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
thank you for your reply donavan. can you tell me how I can force the apps to go to sd card? I m not worry about damaging the phone beacuse the apps i woudlike move are like maps, facebook, market etc so i dont think phone will cry for those apps beeing on sd? :)

LifesGoodPhoenix

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
good apps... file explorer, i use ES file explorer, there are other good ones out there some free some pay.
i would recommend Titanium Backup(pay version), easy to restore apps and data after i change roms.
between the two i ve had no issue moveing apps to sd.

Reactions: qpefax

LgPhoenix

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading through this forum and I'm sorry if you already answered this but will rooting work on 2.2.2? and the only thing i see myself doing is getting free apps from the market, is that worth rooting for?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading through this forum and I'm sorry if you already answered this but will rooting work on 2.2.2? and the only thing i see myself doing is getting free apps from the market, is that worth rooting for?
Yes, rooting works on a 2.2.2, I did it earlier this week.

What apps are you talking about? You don't need to be rooted to install free apps from the market.

LgPhoenix

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Yes, rooting works on a 2.2.2, I did it earlier this week.

What apps are you talking about? You don't need to be rooted to install free apps from the market.

Thanks for letting me know that rooting works, and what I meant was, i saw a video that you could get paid apps off the market for free, is that worth rooting for?

thesnowsnake

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I just update on rogers and went back to stock as I was having different problems...All works fine But LG has new software and now I can't seem to root with gingerbreak.

Spins like a deamon

lol
JAn 27

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol