Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Default Re: This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

Just rooted my Thrive. Now to find one of those lists of apps that I can safely remove.

thanks a million times over!

Quote Originally Posted by adam4374 View Post
    HELP i downloaded gingerbreak to my sd card and icant use open it any ideas?
    I have LG p505. I had rooted it then my dad was gonna put a rom on it and rooted it and I did root check says its not rooted downloaded Ginger break and it sets there for 10-15 minutes and doesent reboot if successful so need help plz

ROM
    stock 2.3.4 rooted

Froyo or gingerbread?

Thanks

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 rooted

Okay, I'm freaking out. Hope someone can help. I finally decided it was "safe" to upgrade the OS and re-root. Now, I'm panicked. The update to Gingerbread was fine. I went through the steps here to root with SuperOneClick after the root. It told me it had successfully rooted. Now, the phone is screwed. I am getting constant--and I do mean constant--pop-ups telling me that the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. The phone is absolutely and completely unusable. I knew I shouldn't do this, since it was all working fine rooted under Froyo. Now, I'm just at wits end. Any ideas what to do?

UPDATE: I unrooted the phone. After doing so, I went in and uninstalled every root app I had, like Titanium Backup Pro, DroidWall, etc. These were not wiped out by the upgrade to Gingerbread, they just no longer worked. I then re-rooted. At first, I got the Emergency Mode thing and freaked out again. I rebooted the phone again, and that went away. Please make sure people know to get rid of all their root apps before doing the root process. Maybe there's something weird about my phone, but that's what seems to have caused it. Now, I've got to go re-install them. Just wanted to let you all know what I did to fix it. I didn't have any guidance, I just worked it out myself. If it saves someone else from the panic I felt earlier, it would be worth it.
    Last edited by aznemesis; 04-07-2012 at 12:06 AM.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #107  

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 rooted

Quote Originally Posted by aznemesis View Post
    Okay, I'm freaking out. Hope someone can help. I finally decided it was "safe" to upgrade the OS and re-root. Now, I'm panicked. The update to Gingerbread was fine. I went through the steps here to root with SuperOneClick after the root. It told me it had successfully rooted. Now, the phone is screwed. I am getting constant--and I do mean constant--pop-ups telling me that the process com.android.phone has stopped unexpectedly. The phone is absolutely and completely unusable. I knew I shouldn't do this, since it was all working fine rooted under Froyo. Now, I'm just at wits end. Any ideas what to do?

UPDATE: I unrooted the phone. After doing so, I went in and uninstalled every root app I had, like Titanium Backup Pro, DroidWall, etc. These were not wiped out by the upgrade to Gingerbread, they just no longer worked. I then re-rooted. At first, I got the Emergency Mode thing and freaked out again. I rebooted the phone again, and that went away. Please make sure people know to get rid of all their root apps before doing the root process. Maybe there's something weird about my phone, but that's what seems to have caused it. Now, I've got to go re-install them. Just wanted to let you all know what I did to fix it. I didn't have any guidance, I just worked it out myself. If it saves someone else from the panic I felt earlier, it would be worth it.
    Actually I think it is an issue with the LG Dialer program when rooted I noticed the issues (not as bad as yours) a few times on mine and decided to switch out the dialer for Go Dialer and Go Contacts and I havent seen the issue since then. I honestly think the LG ROM wasn't really 100% before they sent it to us.

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 rooted

The problem has re-occurred after several days of working just fine. I'm going to try your fix and switch out the dialer. See if it helps. I'm back to an unusable phone. When I un-root, it works fine. As soon as I root, it's messed up again.

UPDATE: I think I found the offending party. I have Root Call Blocker Pro installed. As soon as I check the box to allow it to block, I start getting the FC message. So, it's a specific app that's acting funny with Gingerbread on the Phoenix. It's putting the phone into Airplane mode. It didn't do this when I ran it on Froyo. It worked perfectly. Really sucks because that and DroidWall are my two "must have" apps.
    Last edited by aznemesis; 04-11-2012 at 09:31 PM.

ROM
    2.2.2 HTC-provided upgrad

UPDATE: I think I found the offending party. I have Root Call Blocker Pro installed. As soon as I check the box to allow it to block, I start getting the FC message. So, it's a specific app that's acting funny with Gingerbread on the Phoenix. It's putting the phone into Airplane mode. It didn't do this when I ran it on Froyo. It worked perfectly. Really sucks because that and DroidWall are my two "must have" apps.
    tCallBlocking works fine on my rooted HTC Aria. You might give that a try if you haven't already.

freaking awesome lol the speed compared to original fw is amazing...kudos and thanks

To fix this is simple but not always permanent but works every time and easy and risk free. This wasn't my idea just spreading word. You need to download SQLite editor off the market. Put the phone in airplane mode it will stop the error but may end up crashing the phone, its fine you will get through this.. Download SQLite editor (its a paid app but can be refunded if you do these steps quick). Once you have SQLite editor open it and let it load. Scroll down to "Settings Storage" and click that. Next click Settings.db-> then click secure->then scroll down and find the key "preferred network mode". Long press the key and delete it. Turn off airplane mode and within seconds you will have service and no errors. Hopefully this helped.

Quote Originally Posted by korrectmethod View Post
    To fix this is simple but not always permanent but works every time and easy and risk free. This wasn't my idea just spreading word. You need to download SQLite editor off the market. Put the phone in airplane mode it will stop the error but may end up crashing the phone, its fine you will get through this.. Download SQLite editor (its a paid app but can be refunded if you do these steps quick). Once you have SQLite editor open it and let it load. Scroll down to "Settings Storage" and click that. Next click Settings.db-> then click secure->then scroll down and find the key "preferred network mode". Long press the key and delete it. Turn off airplane mode and within seconds you will have service and no errors. Hopefully this helped.
    Edit: Sometimes the phone refuses to go into airplane mode during this bug. If thats the case just press OK on the error when it pops up and do your best to make it through the steps I mentioned. It will still stop the problem as soon as you delete that key.

Sorry for double post. Wrong button @_@ no sleep.

To remove any bloat ware go to market install titanium backup.This is the best and safest method but use caution when selecting what to uninstall.

ROM
    stock 2.3.4 rooted

Did you select the right version of optimus?
    You need to select OBB version

Worked Great on my LG P505

Hey, i'm having some trouble with the link in the first section, #2. it says it's not found.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberry1776 View Post
    Hey, i'm having some trouble with the link in the first section, #2. it says it's not found.
    NVM! figured it out!
    (:

can anyone tell me the steps to root a lg phoenix 505

I don't exactly understand what froyo is. Can someone please explain that and how to get it? I'm new to this, but I want to root my Phoenix because all those apps that came with it take up too much memory. Grrr.

Okay, I used B for the first step, but it doesn't have an unknown sources test... what do I do?
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #121  

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 rooted

Quote Originally Posted by dykeadellic View Post
    I don't exactly understand what froyo is. Can someone please explain that and how to get it? I'm new to this, but I want to root my Phoenix because all those apps that came with it take up too much memory. Grrr.
    Froyo v2.2 is (was) the stock version of android that came on the phone. If you have done any updates to the phone this may no be true any longer you could possibly have Gingerbread v2.3(though not likely).

Quote Originally Posted by dykeadellic View Post
    Okay, I used B for the first step, but it doesn't have an unknown sources test... what do I do?
    If you enabled the unknown sources then you should be able to move on to the next step and just install gingerbreak and away you go.

Quote Originally Posted by wjmayes View Post
    can anyone tell me the steps to root a lg phoenix 505
    I suggest you actually read the first post as that what the whole point of this thread is. I take you step by step through how to root your phone.

Donavan - I really appreciate how you made it so simple for us to root our phones. I wish you would write a how to, so that we can take it further. There is so much information here that it gets very confusing. I for one, have a rooted Thrive with the LG update to Froyo 2.2.2. I'd like to get a stable gingerbread on it or even ICS if battery life and all work well. But all this new baseband old baseband stuff has just really puzzled me. Months ago I read everything but seeing as I really didn't know what I am doing I did nothing. I watched and waited like everybody for help. Now that Ajen has solved the problems, I am looking for someone to write a how to as easy to follow as your post "This is the easiest way to root the LG Phonenix/Thrive.

When you get some free time would you consider making a dummies guide?
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #123  

ROM
    Stock 2.3.4 rooted

Quote Originally Posted by desilva View Post
    Donavan - I really appreciate how you made it so simple for us to root our phones. I wish you would write a how to, so that we can take it further. There is so much information here that it gets very confusing. I for one, have a rooted Thrive with the LG update to Froyo 2.2.2. I'd like to get a stable gingerbread on it or even ICS if battery life and all work well. But all this new baseband old baseband stuff has just really puzzled me. Months ago I read everything but seeing as I really didn't know what I am doing I did nothing. I watched and waited like everybody for help. Now that Ajen has solved the problems, I am looking for someone to write a how to as easy to follow as your post "This is the easiest way to root the LG Phonenix/Thrive.

When you get some free time would you consider making a dummies guide?
    I had actually thought about doing this for a while now but we had so many different possiblities that actually writing a how to for it would be a task of monumental size. However now that we seem to have a good kernel and ICS ROM I think I will undertake the task once I have had time to test out the kernel and ROM (just installed it yesterday as I was away from the scene for a while).

tried to download the file for 2.3.4 Gingerbread, it saves a 7 MB file but when I try to extract it. I get an error telling me that there is actually nothing in the file at all.

Very wierd. Is there another place to download the files?

ROM
    Stock

Lightbulb Re: This is the easiest way to root the LG Phoenix / Thrive

Quote Originally Posted by kyrealean View Post
    tried to download the file for 2.3.4 Gingerbread, it saves a 7 MB file but when I try to extract it. I get an error telling me that there is actually nothing in the file at all.

Very wierd. Is there another place to download the files?
    You must use the Official LG Update Tool: LG Mobile Support Tool!!!
    LG Phoenix (P505) | Android 2.3.4 | Kernel 2.6.35.7 | LG-P505-V20F | ROOTed
    LG Thrive (P506) | Android 2.2.1 | Kernel 2.6.32.9 | LG-P506-V11E | ROOTed
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast