Porting Open WebOS To the Exhibit 2

thetrent804

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Got bored at work today and started looking for a Pre 3 to buy because I severely miss the UI for WebOS and I don't want a tablet. Well I got this idea in my head to port WebOS to the exhibit. I've never done this before but I'm good at figuring things out, I have a lot of linux experience, and I'm determined to make it work. The Pre 3 and the Exhibit 2 both have the Qualcomm MSM8255 CPU. Only difference I have noticed so far is the GPU. But I'm gonna get crackin on this as soon as my ubuntu box finishes installing and I can get all of the tools compiled. Just thought I'd share this with yall. Give the Exhibit a little bit of hope :)

20121019 7:15 HST: Compiled WebOS Desktop. Need to integrate kernal and PPL

20121019 8:49 HST: Still lost as can be on compiling WebOS with kernal and PPL. Giving same error and there's nothing on the interwebs to help me out on the situation. Got the desktop build compiled and running on a VM in my linux partition though so I guess that's some progress? Desktop build only has core apps. So no Browser or app store. I think once I get the compiling issue figured out on the normal build all of that will work just fine. I'm thinking only edge will work since the webos devices don't run on the 1900mhz spectrum.
20121019 7:45 HsT: Okay so I got the WebOS Desktop image built but it turns out I need the normal WebOS image built. But any time I try to 'make webos-image' at the end of the small amount of mumbo-jumbo it gives me says error 127. I can't figure this out because I did everything on the github line for line but it won't build. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I'm familiar with Linux but compiling is all new to me.

20121020 12:13 HST: Got it built, but can't figure out how to get luna on the device. Novacom doesn't recognize it and it isn't a package I can flash in heimdall (Odin for Linux). This is a lot more complicated then I thought it would be. Anyone have any ideas at all? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

thetrent804

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
Yeah nobody responds on IRC and I'm stuck until I can figure out how to get either novacom to recognize this phone so I can push it, or package it so it can be flashed in heimdall.

Edit: Or get the bootloader unlocked.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa