Bought a G1 today as an alternative to my BB Storm 2. It's locked but I figured should be easy enough to unlock - not so. I'm in Canada, so had to activate the phone using my wife's Rogers SIM card, got the IMEI and bought the unlock code. All the websites I've seen say to pull the battery, insert the 'uncompatible' SIM card you want to use (Telus in my case), turn the phone back on and a 'SIM unlock code' screen should pop up. Should be simple, only the unlock screen doesn't come up. Device starts up fine, goes straight to the home page, recognizes that I'm on Telus but I have no network access. I can still do everything else, wifi, gps etc... but I can't make a call or access my data plan because I've had no opportunity to put the unlock code in. I've put the APN settings in for Telus, but that doesn't seem to do anything either.
I've seen some others have had this problem but haven't found any solutions yet. Is there some other way to access the unlock code screen beyond simply turning on the phone with an 'uncompatible' SIM card? Because that doesn't seem to be working for me. Would love to see what Android can do so would appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance.