Is the Rogers version of the HTC Dream/G1 a good choice for a business smartphone?

coscom

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I am completely new to this forum and haven't yet had the pleasure of using Android yet so so I appologize if I am asking the following questions in the wrong place.

Anyways, I am a long time Windows Mobile user (have an 8525 and before that an 8125) who is looking at possibly getting a Rogers version of the G1 (I am on my company's cell plan with AT&T so switching cell companies isn't an option and I'd heard that the Rogers version is compatible with AT&T's 3G network). So my first question is, is the Rogers version completely compatible? Will it work on AT&T's network, both Edge and 3G?

I also want to know if the G1 will meet my smartphone needs? I personally want a phone that has a larger screen than the 2.8" one on my 8525, has a physical keyboard, is able to browse the web and remotely control PC's though logmein, is able to check my POP3 email (while leaving it on the server) and receive and read my text messages, and on which I can also read ebooks (txt's, rtf's, doc's, lit's, pdf's, etc). Less importantly I would like to be able to listen to mp3's on headphones and play bejewelled/popit style games. Would the G1 meet these needs? Are there any other Android phones that would meet these needs?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice. I am hoping that something in the android world will be what I am looking for as I am sick of waiting for the Tilt 2 to come out and every other phone I've looked into has either been a downgrade in one way or another or is so bug and defect ridden that their forums have scared me away from buying the phone.

barnettj

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I am completely new to this forum and haven't yet had the pleasure of using Android yet so so I appologize if I am asking the following questions in the wrong place.

Anyways, I am a long time Windows Mobile user (have an 8525 and before that an 8125) who is looking at possibly getting a Rogers version of the G1 (I am on my company's cell plan with AT&T so switching cell companies isn't an option and I'd heard that the Rogers version is compatible with AT&T's 3G network). So my first question is, is the Rogers version completely compatible? Will it work on AT&T's network, both Edge and 3G?

I also want to know if the G1 will meet my smartphone needs? I personally want a phone that has a larger screen than the 2.8" one on my 8525, has a physical keyboard, is able to browse the web and remotely control PC's though logmein, is able to check my POP3 email (while leaving it on the server) and receive and read my text messages, and on which I can also read ebooks (txt's, rtf's, doc's, lit's, pdf's, etc). Less importantly I would like to be able to listen to mp3's on headphones and play bejewelled/popit style games. Would the G1 meet these needs? Are there any other Android phones that would meet these needs?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice. I am hoping that something in the android world will be what I am looking for as I am sick of waiting for the Tilt 2 to come out and every other phone I've looked into has either been a downgrade in one way or another or is so bug and defect ridden that their forums have scared me away from buying the phone.

I'm not sure about the Rogers compatibility thing. But it sounds like all of your other needs could be met with the G1. As far as viewing documents, the Market has the lite version of Docs To Go, which allows for viewing, I think maybe editing, but not creating. However, they have a paid version ($29.99 I believe) which also allows you to create documents.

techie961

Sep 29, 2009
Visit site
I just spent the weekend with the Dream and it looks like I am going to send it back. It won't tether to my PC for internet access. It won't sync with Outlook on my PC (except for contacts).

If anyone knows different on this, I would love to know your experience.

I need to tether and I need tasks and notes on my phone that will sync with Outlook. Is that too much to ask?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs