1.6 push on Unlocked G1

bobsavenger

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I'm new to this android community and was wondering if there is a problem with updating the software to 1.6 from T-Mobile since I don't have a data plan and it's an Unlocked G1?

Not sure if the update would put me back to the factory default settings or if it's even worth the time to do the update.

Please let me know.

Thanks

Dr. Tyrell

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
If the phone is registered with T-Mobile then it should update. Maybe the update has not reached your area yet? I don't have a data plan either but got the update OTA via Wi-Fi.

The update seems relatively minor and does not mess with settings. One change is a new Market layout.

Last edited:

bobsavenger

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
T-Mobile doesn't know that I have the phone. So I should log on the wifi and do the update? It has shown up on the phone that there is an update available for it. I just keep telling it to update later until I know for sure that it won't mess up the phone settings.

Dr. Tyrell

Oct 28, 2008
Visit site
T-Mobile doesn't know that I have the phone. So I should log on the wifi and do the update? It has shown up on the phone that there is an update available for it. I just keep telling it to update later until I know for sure that it won't mess up the phone settings.
I don't follow. Your G1 has no phone service at all or something other than T-Mobile? All I can say is that the updates have not changed my phone settings with a T-Mobile SIM and PAYG plan.

bobsavenger

Oct 10, 2009
Visit site
I didn't get the phone from T-Mobile. When I log into my T-Mobile account is shows my old cell phone and hasn't updated. That is why I'm saying T-mobile doesn't know I have the phone.

I'll see what I can get OTA via wifi on the phone. Thanks

rjfabian

Jun 3, 2009
Visit site
Updates

Updates are done through the Gmail registration when you turned on the phone. Unlocked or not, you will eventually get all the upgrades that your phone is capable of loading. I have at&t and haven't missed an upgrade yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz