Gingerbread OTA update

cliephoto

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
I got the OTA update this morning. Installed with out an issue. Wish I did a backup before I told it to do it. The new look is cool. Now I just need to find out what is new and how to use it.

Android version:2.3.4
Kernel Version: 2.6.35.10-g96de068
Build Number: 2.15.531.3 CL82286 release-keys

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Very cool that they went with 2.3.4, since all previous leaks only had 2.3.3.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

cliephoto

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
did this update impact your ability to tether or use your phone as a wireless hotspot?

Unknown. Never use that feature due to 200mb data plan. The update sure sucked up most of that. I am 15 mb from over. My month rolls over on the 6th so I have just turned it off.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I would love to know if Visionary can still temp root to give my phone the ability to run Wireless Tether

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Don't think it can. Why not use the built in wireless hotspot? Based on a post on xda, I believe it is still present.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Can I use the built-in wireless hotspot without paying extra?

Also, I really like the bluetooth tether instead of the wifi tether

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I use it in emergency situations, and have never had to pay extra, not saying if you use it all the time they won't get you though.

kpetrie77

May 14, 2011
Visit site
http://android.clients.google.com/p...MOUS_2.15.531.3-1.22.531.8_release_197463.zip

Hadn't seen the link posted on here yet. Just in case...

Save to the root of your sdcard as "update.zip" and flash with recovery.

No, this is not rooted. No, this won't flash over the leaked 2.3.3 PC10IMG from May (you guys can update in-store.) No, this will not flash with CWM so you need a stock G2 recovery to update. Yes, you will lose S-OFF.

Kind Regards,
Kevin

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: sdorsey

ethan.ost

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
i hope it is gingerbread... i'm backing up everything on my phone and then giving it a go. too impatient to wait for the OTA. i'll letcha know how it goes!

sdorsey

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
After visiting and calling several T-Mobile stores today, none of them had the sdcard update. I decided to use the zip file from Kevin and it didn't work at first. I got stuck at a black screen with a phone and a red triangle picture. I did some digging on a forum at xda developers and found the solution to my problem. Here's what I found on xda and it worked.

"Rename file to update.zip (make sure it's not update.zip.zip)
Put it in root of SDCARD
Power off phone
Press volume up and power to turn on. Choose the second option (RECOVERY)
Once You get to the red triangle with exclamation mark press and hold VOLUME UP AND POWER

Now You'll see a menu,
Choose "apply update.zip" and wait.
Then You'll have to reboot.
After the reebot You'll see a phone with two green arrows, just wait
Then the phone will reboot and You'll have Gingerbread"

Took about 10 minutes total time, update was pretty painless and I still have all my data. NO FACTORY RESET!!! I was totally stock G2 2.2, no root.

Good luck!

Reactions: Eldub Seattle

chrisdlv77

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Just got my update this morning in san antonio loving the 2.3.4 installed very fast just to let everyone know i did have the leak version 2.2.3 but still got the ota

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC