Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Default Processor Speed

Can someone please explain to me why this phone will launch with only 800 MHz? Does it have a sick GPU to make up for it?

New architecture. From what I hear, the new chip at 800 runs better and uses less battery than the current 1GHz Snapdragon

And the GPU is great. Slightly better than Droid X, slightly behind the Galaxy S -- so basically all of the big 3 have equivalent GPU's...for now.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Thanked by:
    cr3amy 

Global Posts
    2,099 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liberty v1.0

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why this phone will launch with only 800 MHz? Does it have a sick GPU to make up for it?
    It's not the mhz, it's how you use it
    there is no spoon
    Coffee Addict

Global Posts
    710 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Franco Kernal

It's not the size of the boat, but the motion of the waves that count?...
    I'm a tech junkie with a weak spot for Good Music, Good Beer, and Excellent Coffee.

Motion of the Ocean sounds much better!!!

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

There is no skin on top of the Android OS. Nothing that is consistanly running as a separate program. The 800Mhz is gonna be fine.

People need to understand that this 800mhz SoC has a better architecture, and GPU with 4x the performance of the previous Snapdragon.

It will be way better than the Nexus One, EVO 4G, Incredible... And more on par with the iPhone 4, and Samsung Galaxy S phones.

ROM
    None

It uses the same 45nm architecture as the new 3600 series OMAP cores. They produce lower voltages, and faster cycles. The G2 will smoke the EVO, Incredible, and N1 in terms of performance.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2
    Thanked by:
    cr3amy 
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Brown View Post
    It uses the same 45nm architecture as the new 3600 series OMAP cores. They produce lower voltages, and faster cycles. The G2 will smoke the EVO, Incredible, and N1 in terms of performance.
    Well, the Evo, Incredible, and N1 run on year old technology, I'd hope the G2 smokes them. I'm more concerned with comparing it to the X, Droid 2, Galaxy S, which gbhil did. Thanks for the info though, Bushido.

Sherifone, did you read my original post? I asked about the GPU.

ROM
    None

The GPU doesn't really have much to do with the clock speed. If that was the case, I would've been able to get a higher FPS score in a Neocore benchmark test on my Droid 1 after overlocking it.

The GPU is an Adreno 205, and should perform on par with the current crop of high end Android smartphones.

Last edited by Bushido Brown; 09-10-2010 at 09:34 PM.
    Thanked by:
    cr3amy 

Someone please buy me a g2. I'll be your best friend!
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

The GPU doesn't really have much to do with the clock speed. If that was the case, I would've been able to get a higher FPS score in a Neocore benchmark test on my Droid 1 after overlocking it.

The GPU is an Adreno 205, and should perform on par with the current crop of high end Android smartphones.

Very interesting. Nice link. Thanks for the info, that puts my worries to rest.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Don't start talking about out performing the evo until it actually is out and has done so, what seems good on paper doesn't always translate. (Except for gaming, Evo doesn't handle that so well. Unless youre rooted )

Same goes for hspa+ beating sprint wimax 4G.

I'll believe it all when I see it haha
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Don't start talking about out performing the evo until it actually is out and has done so, what seems good on paper doesn't always translate. (Except for gaming, Evo doesn't handle that so well. Unless youre rooted )
    Agree in most cases, but disagree here. If the processor is shown to be as fast/faster than the Evo's, plus it has stock Android, plus a dedicated GPU, plus a smaller screen... will definitely out-perform the Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by igotsanevo4g View Post
    Same goes for hspa+ beating sprint wimax 4G.
    This I completely agree with though. No way to tell, considering both companies only give you "theoretical" speeds.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

I have ran cm6 which is stock, and theres not much speed difference for me. Sense adds alot to android imo anyways.
    Some say the glass is half empty. Some say its half full. I say, "Are you going to drink that?"

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

I assume you guys saw the benchmark video on the front page? Phone still blazes despite the 800mhz.

Default Decent performance, not great performance

I counted pixels on the image that Jerry posted. The Nexus One received an 820% increase in "CPU" performance from 2.2. Extrapolating that to the Galaxy S, the CPU score for those devices would be 1175.

In terms of processor performance, that would make a Galaxy S with 2.2 18% faster than the G2.

Also worth noting is the faster I/O on the Galaxy S: About 130 points difference, which is a 61% performance advantage for the Galaxy S. Presumably this would be unaffected by the 2.2 upgrade.

I don't play games on my phone, so I don't care about the other parts of the benchmark.

In terms of real-world effects, I'm not usually frustrated by the foreground app being too slow; it's usually switching between apps when I start to notice delay. The 61% performance benefit of the Galaxy's I/O system is therefore probably much more significant to me compared to the difference in processor performance.

I was planning to return my two Epics next week... This has given me something to think about.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,549 Global Posts
    ROM
    Ice Cream Sandwich

Quote Originally Posted by drfrank View Post
    I counted pixels on the image that Jerry posted. The Nexus One received an 820% increase in "CPU" performance from 2.2. Extrapolating that to the Galaxy S, the CPU score for those devices would be 1175.

In terms of processor performance, that would make a Galaxy S with 2.2 18% faster than the G2.

Also worth noting is the faster I/O on the Galaxy S: About 130 points difference, which is a 61% performance advantage for the Galaxy S. Presumably this would be unaffected by the 2.2 upgrade.

I don't play games on my phone, so I don't care about the other parts of the benchmark.

In terms of real-world effects, I'm not usually frustrated by the foreground app being too slow; it's usually switching between apps when I start to notice delay. The 61% performance benefit of the Galaxy's I/O system is therefore probably much more significant to me compared to the difference in processor performance.

I was planning to return my two Epics next week... This has given me something to think about.
    Your whole theory is flawed... other phones might get greater or lower increases from 2.2 besides the fact that they are all different processors.
    I'd geta G2 over an epic anyday, and G2's arent even out.

If you want it to be a faster cpu just root it and overclock, im sure that the 800mhz is not what its fully capable of.

ROM
    None

Who gives a **** about the clock speed. The only thing that should matter is whether or not the phone performs quickly. Which it does.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Who gives a **** about the clock speed. The only thing that should matter is whether or not the phone performs quickly. Which it does.
    I think everyone in this thread has already accepted that and moved on. Thanks, though.

ROM
    None

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    I think everyone in this thread has already accepted that and moved on. Thanks, though.
    Note the comment posted hours before mine. Also note the dialog preceding said comment. Its pretty obvious to me that "everyone" has not moved on. Your lone sentiment is not the consensus-unless you secretly own half the accounts in this thread, and you're just putting on a show for the masses.

If so, bravo man. Bravo.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

please settle down guys. this discussion has definitely educated me because i was questioning why htc would put and 800 mghz processor on a brand new phone which seems to be t-mobile's new flagship device. please stay on topic and continue discussing but do not start bashing each other because it is not adding anything to the topic at all.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Note the comment posted hours before mine. Also note the dialog preceding said comment. Its pretty obvious to me that "everyone" has not moved on. Your lone sentiment is not the consensus-unless you secretly own half the accounts in this thread, and you're just putting on a show for the masses.

If so, bravo man. Bravo.
    Don't really get why you have to be a d*ck in your posts, but go ahead and quote someone from the 2nd page that hadn't moved on to that consensus. I don't really see your point here...
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,393 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7 / Incredikernel .37

Last warning. If one more person continues an argument with somebody else the thread will be locked.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Play nice guys, the Internet is a free place for everyone. At least until the ignorant masses make Steve Jobs overlord.

Final say- Yes the processor is 800mhz. But it should outperform all previous 1ghz Snapdragons, as it is made with new technology. So stop worrying. If the G2 has problems, I don't think it will be due to the processor.

I'm going to go grab some cake now...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast