1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Will the G2 be able to get Gingerbread?

Simple question. Didn't google say that a phone has to have a minimum clock speed of 1ghz to get the update? Does this mean the G2 can never have it, even with the new processor architecture?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

No they didn't, that 1ghz speed requirement is a rumor. However nobody knows if the G2 will see Gingerbread. For a new high-end phone you'd have to believe so, but nobody knows for sure.

Inwould be surprised if it didn't.

I would be shocked if it didn't. 4.0 too.

Global Posts
    846 Global Posts

Default Re: Will the G2 be able to get Gingerbread?

Lol 4.0?! Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G

ROM
    None

I'm gonna push all of my chips to the table, and say yes. The G2 will get at least 2 official updates. It's practically the new Developer's Phone.
    Back to Big Red. Sprint was tooooo slow
    Click my Twitter | Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

^ Wow someone finally being optimistic about this phone. For me I'm going to guess that it will get Gingerbread, but NOT Honeycomb. But if this phone becomes a huge hit..who knows?

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I think this phone will get tons of updates, and it'll be faster than any others at getting it.

If I'm right, this phone will get updates with the same waiting period as the Nexus One has been enjoying.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

The Nexus One was Google's baby, this one is not. T-Mobile will be in charge of the updates, so while stock android should drastically decrease waiting times, if this phone doesn't sell well why would they even bother updating it?

It's all about the dollars. Big Hit= More software support and love. Big flop= Drop current owners on the curb and move on to the next potential "hit". Why waste resources on a phone nobody is buying?

Global Posts
    885 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

I would say yes as well. Its google's phone. I wouldnt call it 100% top end but its close.
    My mobile device timeline:
    Misc electronic organizers -> Cassiopeia -> palm pilot III -> m100 -> Palm Pilot VII and Zire 21 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> PPC6700 -> Treo 755p -> PPC6800 -> Palm Pro -> Palm Pre -> Samsung moment -> Samsung Epic 4g -> HTC EVO Shift 4g-> Galaxy Nexus-> EVO LTE

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

I'm betting this will get Gingerbread and may even get Honeycomb as well.

I think I head this phone will be apple experience. I'll say this will get updated as fast as nexus one.

HTC is good with support and T-Mobile is good with updates for the important phones. This is a stock phone and a AAA phone, it will definitely be updated.

Anyone that still has question should listen to the last AndroidCentral Podcast... Episode #30... they talk about this very question.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Like Jerry keeps TRYING to tell you... it is essentially a snapdragon, only much faster, it acts like a dual core snapdragon, it's just an underclocked dual core essentially speaking, not technically though.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    Anyone that still has question should listen to the last AndroidCentral Podcast... Episode #30... they talk about this very question.
    And... why can't you just tell us what was said?

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    And... why can't you just tell us what was said?
    The gist of it is, stop thinking the phone is underpowered because the clock speed is lower. THE G2 CAN RUN AGAINST ANY PHONE BEING RELEASED RIGHT NOW. It can certainly get Gingerbread. Also, there was never any Google mention of minimum requirements for Gingerbread. If there were, clock speed wouldn't be one of them.

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Prof-KOS View Post
    The gist of it is, stop thinking the phone is underpowered because the clock speed is lower. THE G2 CAN RUN AGAINST ANY PHONE BEING RELEASED RIGHT NOW. It can certainly get Gingerbread. Also, there was never any Google mention of minimum requirements for Gingerbread. If there were, clock speed wouldn't be one of them.
    I mean in the end it is all how the processor performs, regardless if it isn't 100 MHz it acts like it has more than 1000 MHz so if the evo or nexus one get gingerbread then it will get it too, of course at the same time around the Nexus one (stock reasons)

I'm sure it will, its idiotic to release a flagship phone with no upgrades... I'm willing to bet it gets honeycomb as well if the cpu is as strong as it looks to be

Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by hawon View Post
    I think I head this phone will be apple experience. I'll say this will get updated as fast as nexus one.
    Not so sure about that, but definitely faster than the other manufacturers with their non-stock OS modifications. Also being on T-Mobile is a plus compared to other carriers who have slower updates, like Verizon.

The Nexus One was not technically a T-Mobile phone, but a developer phone directly supported by Google. Updates came directly from Google. I consider this phone a sequel to the G1, and as such is supported by T-Mobile. So any updates would have to be supported by T-Mobile first. So I think update speeds would be similar to those for the G1.

So maybe not as fast as the Nexus One (directly from Google), but definitely faster than most phones, because it's stock Android and it's from T-Mobile.

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvana328 View Post
    The Nexus One was not technically a T-Mobile phone, but a developer phone directly supported by Google. Updates came directly from Google. I consider this phone a sequel to the G1, and as such is supported by T-Mobile. So any updates would have to be supported by T-Mobile first. So I think update speeds would be similar to those for the G1.
    Can't use the G1 as a benchmark for anything. The whole thing was so new and fresh, but now developers have gotten in the swing of things. Also, we don't know how slow or fast G1's updates were because there was nothing to compare it to.

I do agree with what you're saying about the Nexus One being a developer phone and a Google phone, so I don't think there really is a phone that'll give us an apples to apples comparison.