Will the G2 be able to get Gingerbread?

Okkoto86

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Simple question. Didn't google say that a phone has to have a minimum clock speed of 1ghz to get the update? Does this mean the G2 can never have it, even with the new processor architecture?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
No they didn't, that 1ghz speed requirement is a rumor. However nobody knows if the G2 will see Gingerbread. For a new high-end phone you'd have to believe so, but nobody knows for sure.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I'm gonna push all of my chips to the table, and say yes. The G2 will get at least 2 official updates. It's practically the new Developer's Phone.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
^ Wow someone finally being optimistic about this phone. For me I'm going to guess that it will get Gingerbread, but NOT Honeycomb. But if this phone becomes a huge hit..who knows?

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I think this phone will get tons of updates, and it'll be faster than any others at getting it.

If I'm right, this phone will get updates with the same waiting period as the Nexus One has been enjoying.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The Nexus One was Google's baby, this one is not. T-Mobile will be in charge of the updates, so while stock android should drastically decrease waiting times, if this phone doesn't sell well why would they even bother updating it?

It's all about the dollars. Big Hit= More software support and love. Big flop= Drop current owners on the curb and move on to the next potential "hit". Why waste resources on a phone nobody is buying?

JONNNathannn

Dec 13, 2009
Visit site
HTC is good with support and T-Mobile is good with updates for the important phones. This is a stock phone and a AAA phone, it will definitely be updated.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Anyone that still has question should listen to the last AndroidCentral Podcast... Episode #30... they talk about this very question.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Like Jerry keeps TRYING to tell you... it is essentially a snapdragon, only much faster, it acts like a dual core snapdragon, it's just an underclocked dual core essentially speaking, not technically though.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
And... why can't you just tell us what was said?

The gist of it is, stop thinking the phone is underpowered because the clock speed is lower. THE G2 CAN RUN AGAINST ANY PHONE BEING RELEASED RIGHT NOW. It can certainly get Gingerbread. Also, there was never any Google mention of minimum requirements for Gingerbread. If there were, clock speed wouldn't be one of them.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The gist of it is, stop thinking the phone is underpowered because the clock speed is lower. THE G2 CAN RUN AGAINST ANY PHONE BEING RELEASED RIGHT NOW. It can certainly get Gingerbread. Also, there was never any Google mention of minimum requirements for Gingerbread. If there were, clock speed wouldn't be one of them.

I mean in the end it is all how the processor performs, regardless if it isn't 100 MHz it acts like it has more than 1000 MHz so if the evo or nexus one get gingerbread then it will get it too, of course at the same time around the Nexus one (stock reasons)

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure it will, its idiotic to release a flagship phone with no upgrades... I'm willing to bet it gets honeycomb as well if the cpu is as strong as it looks to be

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
I think I head this phone will be apple experience. I'll say this will get updated as fast as nexus one.

Not so sure about that, but definitely faster than the other manufacturers with their non-stock OS modifications. Also being on T-Mobile is a plus compared to other carriers who have slower updates, like Verizon.

The Nexus One was not technically a T-Mobile phone, but a developer phone directly supported by Google. Updates came directly from Google. I consider this phone a sequel to the G1, and as such is supported by T-Mobile. So any updates would have to be supported by T-Mobile first. So I think update speeds would be similar to those for the G1.

So maybe not as fast as the Nexus One (directly from Google), but definitely faster than most phones, because it's stock Android and it's from T-Mobile.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12