Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Can this phone get 3G in Europe on UMTS band 2100? I am still unclear whether T-Mobile's Band IV phones can roam on 3G or not.

If not I hope HTC releases a "world version" soon.

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
My understanding was that Band IV 2100 and Band I 2100 use separate ranges round about 2100, which is why the Vibrant, for instance, explicitly states that it supports Band I and Band IV.

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
That is what I thought at first as well.

However the 1700/2100Mhz frequencies of Band IV refer to the UL (uplink) and DL(downlink) frequencies. The uplink and downlink frequencies of Band I are 1900 and 2100Mhz, so I still don't understand really. Perhaps a Band IV phone can only pull down data but can not send any acknowledgments when data is received?

It is all very confusing, wish I could find a clear explanation of what it all means somewhere.

raeef

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
That is what I thought at first as well.

However the 1700/2100Mhz frequencies of Band IV refer to the UL (uplink) and DL(downlink) frequencies. The uplink and downlink frequencies of Band I are 1900 and 2100Mhz, so I still don't understand really. Perhaps a Band IV phone can only pull down data but can not send any acknowledgments when data is received?

It is all very confusing, wish I could find a clear explanation of what it all means somewhere.

I am still looking for an answer for this, I will be using my phone in the Middle East where most networks use UMTS I 2100 coupled with 1900. On HTC website is not clear, on T mobile webiste they said it's UMTS band IV which is the AWS band and not the European band ( 2100 coupled with 1700) which will not work on UMTS I. I got confused because I read on phonearena that it does support this band ( I). I've just emailed HTC to see if they can confirm.

raeef

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I am still looking for an answer for this, I will be using my phone in the Middle East where most networks use UMTS I 2100 coupled with 1900. On HTC website is not clear, on T mobile webiste they said it's UMTS band IV which is the AWS band and not the European band ( 2100 coupled with 1700) which will not work on UMTS I. I got confused because I read on phonearena that it does support this band ( I). I've just emailed HTC to see if they can confirm.

It's confusing actually, T mobile has different specs on their website : S

UMTS IV only :
Band (frequency):850 MHz;900 MHz;1800 MHz;1900 MHz;UMTS: Band IV (1700/2100)

From this link Unsupported Browser

UMTS Bands: 1 (2100) and 4 (AWS 1700/2100)
from this link
Feature Summary (T-Mobile G2? with Google?)

raeef

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
This is the second reply I got from HTC, they didn't give me an answer and I assume because G2 price in the US is lower than the EU version HTC Desire Z so maybe they don't want people buying these devices to use them in Europe or ME

Dear Raeef ,

Thank you for your response.

Unfortunately, we do not have this information. The information we have is the same as on the website or in the users manual. You will most likely receive EDGE service. You can still send and receive calls, text messages, picture messages, and surf the Internet. However, we cannot specify if the device supports UMTS band 2100.

To send a reply to this message or let me know I have successfully answered your question log in to our ContactUs site using your email address and your ticket number ****.

Sincerely,

xxxx

HTC

kyleresq

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Did anyone ever get a response to this? I am switching from a Blackberry to the G2, never once thinking that this phone would not work in Europe and now I am worried that it won't....