1300 mAh battery?

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
What are everyone's thoughts on the battery in this phone? The Nexus One has a 1400 mAh battery, the HTC 3G slider has a 1300 mAh. Does anyone think this phone will have a poor battery life or is that enough considering it's running Android 2.2 and has a newer CPU?

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Smaller, newer chipset = less battery consumption. Plus, I believe the CPU is being underclocked, which means even less battery consumption.

But the main power draw is the screen, not the processor. Since it's only a 3.7", it should have decent battery life. I'm not too sure... hope it's good, but I have my doubts.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
It's a concern, though they are probably using a 800mhz processor for battery reasons, so hopefully they're trying to get as much life out of it as possible. But unlike the other problems this one is fixable, just grab an extended battery. Though I'm thinking we probably won't need to worry.

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Smaller, newer chipset = less battery consumption. Plus, I believe the CPU is being underclocked, which means even less battery consumption.

But the main power draw is the screen, not the processor. Since it's only a 3.7", it should have decent battery life. I'm not too sure... hope it's good, but I have my doubts.

Where did you read it was underclocked? Haven't seen that anywhere.

Anyways, The Nexus One has a 3.7'' screen but with a 1400 mAh, and the battery on that phone was nothing special. This new phone has the same screen but a smaller battery, so unless that new processor is amazingly good at conserving battery life, it's only reasonable to assume that the G2's battery life will be even worse.

As for the above post, extended batteries are a terrible solution. They ruin the look of the phone, and there are numerous articles online that state that many 3rd party extended batteries are not as strong as the companies claim they are.

HTC should have manufactured the phone with a LARGER battery, not a smaller one. If anything they should have kept the 1400 mAh battery from the Nexus One.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site

Anyways, The Nexus One has a 3.7'' screen but with a 1400 mAh, and the battery on that phone was nothing special. This new phone has the same screen but a smaller battery, so unless that new processor is amazingly good at conserving battery life, it's only reasonable to assume that the G2's battery life will be even worse.

As for the above post, extended batteries are a terrible solution. They ruin the look of the phone, and there are numerous articles online that state that many 3rd party extended batteries are not as strong as the companies claim they are.

HTC should have manufactured the phone with a LARGER battery, not a smaller one. If anything they should have kept the 1400 mAh battery from the Nexus One.

Not talking about the "big butt" extended batteries, but there is usually a larger battery still capable of fitting the regular compartment. Usually there is one bigger one that fits and one SUPER big one that needs a new battery door. Not ruining the look.
For example- http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-innocell-1600mah-extended-battery/8A37A6444.htm

The talk/standby times on HTC's website seem in line of most smartphones. Again I see no reason for the 800mhz processor other than to increase battery time, so I don't think they overlooked this problem. Guess we'll see soon.

Talk Time Up to 400 minutes for WCDMA
Up to 590 minutes for GSM
(The above are subject to network and phone usage.)
Standby Time Up to 430 hours for WCDMA
Up to 430 hours for GSM

Last edited:

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I really think the battery life will be no worse than the Nexus One, and likely a little bit better. The slightly smaller battery is most likely to preserve the thinness of the phone. It's not much thicker than the N1 and it a has a Qwerty keyboard tucked in there. The processor is not underclocked, it is just "clocked at 800 Mhz", which is great. It's going to run at or better the performance of current high-end Android devices due to newer architecture. I'm sure once root is achieved there will be options to overclock your G2's for those people who just can't get over the fact that the processor is clocked at less than 1Ghz

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I wish that all the manufacturers would step up to the plate with batteries that are big enough to get a full day + of usage. Not “the phone is on and you’re not doing anything” usage, but real world, several Widgets going, 100+ e-mails, Text messaging, Web surfing, e-book reading, ect. I don't think it’s sad that the first thing people think about when buying a new phone is “Do I need the bigger battery?”

Of all the phones and gadgets I’ve owned over the years. The current generation of Smart Phones are the only devices where I’ve seen consistent complaints about stock battery life. A 1300 battery is what the DInc shipped with, and it is not enough to use it the way it’s designed to be used for even close to a full day.

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Let's face it though. We all want smaller devices with more memory and processing power but there hasn't been any great breakthroughs in battery technology that I know of. If you want sleek, sexy smartphones with high res displays the trade off is shorter battery life.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk

Nirvana328

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Not talking about the "big butt" extended batteries, but there is usually a larger battery still capable of fitting the regular compartment. Usually there is one bigger one that fits and one SUPER big one that needs a new battery door. Not ruining the look.
For example- http://store.androidcentral.com/seidio-innocell-1600mah-extended-battery/8A37A6444.htm

The talk/standby times on HTC's website seem in line of most smartphones. Again I see no reason for the 800mhz processor other than to increase battery time, so I don't think they overlooked this problem. Guess we'll see soon.

Talk Time Up to 400 minutes for WCDMA
Up to 590 minutes for GSM
Standby Time Up to 430 hours for WCDMA
Up to 430 hours for GSM

Just FYI, and for anyone who's reading, be very cautious about 3rd party batteries, especially ones that fit the original phone and battery cover, because they may not offer as much extra power as advertised, see the following links:

BatteryBoss Calls Out False Capacity Claims!
http://forum.androidcentral.com/inc...2316-seidio-1750mah-vs-htc-oem-batteries.html

As for the rated talk times, you have a valid point, compared to the Nexus One, the talk times are similar and the standby times are actually better (430 hr for the G2 vs 290/250 hr for 2g/3g on the N1).

So it does help a bit, but these figures are not very true to real life usage as obviously anyone with an android phone will be running multiple apps & widgets, and pulling data frequently.

As for users wanting slimmer sleeker phones, yes most of us would agree that smaller = better, but how "sexy" is a smart phone when all you can do is look at it because it's dead. Many people often complain about battery life, but when it comes to larger phones such as the Evo or Droid X, people might whine at first about the size, but you know who doesn't? The person who buys the phone and appreciates the larger batteries that those phones can accommodate.

I guess we'll have to wait and see for the hands on reviews to come out. Hurry up T-Mobile, Best Buy is making you look bad!

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site

The processor is not underclocked, it is just "clocked at 800 Mhz", which is great.

Sorry, at the time I wrote the post, every piece of information I could find said that the chipset was supposed to be 1 GHz. That's why I assumed it was underclocked. You're right, it's not, so proceed...

kludgineer

Oct 2, 2010
Visit site
After one day, battery life seems ok

I got my phone on Thursday, and it is now Saturday, so I have had the phone for less than two days. That is not really enough time to form a strong opinion, but so far the battery life seems ok. I am upgrading from a G1 with an oversized, extended life battery, and this one seems comparable-- certainly better than it was with the Stock G1 battery. If you stream a lot of music or video you will definitely need to charge the battery at some point during the day, but I spent a fair amount of time playing with the phone including installing several apps, watching a few Youtube (and Vimeo!) videos, etc, and was above 15% when I finally plugged back in after about 16 hours (didn't check the exact level, but the indicator was in the orange, but not yet in the red).

I suspect that most users will have no real complaints about the battery life, but heavy users may be a bit frustrated.

Reactions: Nirvana328

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I got my phone on Thursday, and it is now Saturday, so I have had the phone for less than two days. That is not really enough time to form a strong opinion, but so far the battery life seems ok. I am upgrading from a G1 with an oversized, extended life battery, and this one seems comparable-- certainly better than it was with the Stock G1 battery. If you stream a lot of music or video you will definitely need to charge the battery at some point during the day, but I spent a fair amount of time playing with the phone including installing several apps, watching a few Youtube (and Vimeo!) videos, etc, and was above 15% when I finally plugged back in after about 16 hours (didn't check the exact level, but the indicator was in the orange, but not yet in the red).

I suspect that most users will have no real complaints about the battery life, but heavy users may be a bit frustrated.

^ You are right on. Casual users (like me) will have no problem making it through the day, but if you're youtubing/browsing/playing games all day you will most likely need to take a charge break. I made it ~30 hours of standby, a few calls, and a couple extended app browsing/customizing periods.

gbm85

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I wish that all the manufacturers would step up to the plate with batteries that are big enough to get a full day + of usage. Not ?the phone is on and you?re not doing anything? usage, but real world, several Widgets going, 100+ e-mails, Text messaging, Web surfing, e-book reading, ect. I don't think it?s sad that the first thing people think about when buying a new phone is ?Do I need the bigger battery??

Of all the phones and gadgets I?ve owned over the years. The current generation of Smart Phones are the only devices where I?ve seen consistent complaints about stock battery life. A 1300 battery is what the DInc shipped with, and it is not enough to use it the way it?s designed to be used for even close to a full day.

There was a WinMo phone launched last year that was spec'ed at 6 hours talk time (CNET got 9 hours in their test). It was called the Intrepid. Ever heard of it? Not likely. Why? Because as much as people complain about battery life, it actually doesn't carry at lot of weight at time of purchase.

T-Mobile had (maybe they even still sell it) a dumbphone that was rated at 9 hours talk time (CNET got almost 10) and 18 days of standby. It sold horribly as well.

drfrank

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
19 hours

Fully charged the phone yesterday, removed it from the charger last night at 9 pm. It just ran out of juice, so 20 hours.

It sat idle overnight. I listened to about an hour of podcasts in the car, today, made two quick phone calls, and read an ebook for an hour last night.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nirvana328

cltatenza

Sep 29, 2010
Visit site
I've been getting about 8-10 hours from mine, but I've been playing with it pretty regularly. I'll definitely be picking up an extended life battery if Seidio or someone comes out with one that doesn't require a new battery door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke