Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by alekaras View Post
    I gave up BB 8900 for G2. For my taste, the larger keyboard is not very convenient. Maybe it takes some getting used to. The battery life is horrible. I go from 100% to 80% in half an hour when I am using an app on the phone. I see this as the main drawback. I also miss BBM, but I'll get over it. Finally, the size is a bit big compared to my 8900. Other than that, the phone is quite sweet.
    Me too, I noticed the battery life is pretty damn bad... I had it on standby for about 7 hours (school) and it was roughly at about 70 to 80%... pretty bad I never got this on my Vibrant. After that I was texting, web browsing, listening to music, show down to 30% so fast! In about 4 to 5 hours it shot down that fast, I was amazed it wasn't even heavy use. Pretty meh about the battery life, but its okay... no other complaints besides the hinge, seriously that thing just feels like its about to break right off.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10

Quote Originally Posted by paige2055 View Post
    How about coming off a Treo 680!
    Wow!! I remember that phone when it came out around the time I graduated high school. Yeah you probably win the award. I couldn't imagine hanging on to a phone that long. You do know you are eligible for upgrades right? Just playing. back in those days it was either Palm or BlackBerry for your choice of smartphones. Look at how the landscape has changed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

I give 2-3 more years and every cell phone in the world will be a smartphone. There will be no such thing as regular cell phones that just makes calls. They will all be portable computers that do everything. If they can do something like that with TVs all switching to digital than it is foreseeable in the cell phone market.

Quote Originally Posted by Nissan4LIFE View Post
    I give 2-3 more years and every cell phone in the world will be a smartphone. There will be no such thing as regular cell phones that just makes calls. They will all be portable computers that do everything. If they can do something like that with TVs all switching to digital than it is foreseeable in the cell phone market.
    Except that there will be people (think, elderly) who really only want a phone that does nothing but makes phone calls.

Oh, and thinking about giving up my Droid X and Verizon to go to the G2 since I have had a lot of data issues with VZ lately.
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,180 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

the more I read about the G2 from users that have it... the more I'm thinking of staying away... the loose hinge... the poor battery life... the music cutting out... random reboots... it's just not ready for primetime... I had my doubts about the whole hinge mechanism... turns out it's not as great as HTC would make you think it is... I really wish it was a regular slider, or even a slide/tilt like the TyTN II was...
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    the more I read about the G2 from users that have it... the more I'm thinking of staying away... the loose hinge... the poor battery life... the music cutting out... random reboots... it's just not ready for primetime... I had my doubts about the whole hinge mechanism... turns out it's not as great as HTC would make you think it is... I really wish it was a regular slider, or even a slide/tilt like the TyTN II was...
    Just remember an average person isn't going to make a thread "I Love my G2 and here's why lolblahblah". If you're posting it's usually because you have some sort of problem, so the numbers are skewed. I'm going to guess that the vast majority of G2's are fine and their owners happy.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA 1.4.0

My G2 is perfectly fine and ready for prime time.. Of course we all want more battery life but that comes with the territory. Just charge the thing during the day, thats what I do...

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts

im moving from a BB 9700 to the G2
    Mac20
    (CompTIA Network+ Securtiy+ Certified)
    Current: Samsung Galaxy S II (T989) Next: Samsung Galaxy Note

Global Posts
    3,100 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    These things affect people differently. The truth is that all large-screen high performance devices are going to drain the battery faster than smaller-screen devices with lower specs. That's undoubtedly one of the main reasons why BlackBerry phones do not have the largest screens and fastest processors, and why the OS isn't as slick. The BB "base", to borrow a political term, is still the working professional who needs the phone to be ready all day, without needing a second charge. Even the larger screen BBs (Storm, Torch) don't have higher res, so they save some power that way.

But for many people, charging the G2 (or iPhone, or Vibrant, etc) is just no problem at all, and the minor inconvenience of doing so is a small price to pay for the added performance.

The loose hinge is another matter. Before I bought the G2 I watched a YouTube video where the hinge was tested and wasn't loose. But mine was loose, and it was a problem. Even though I only had the phone a few days, on several occasions, it would open slightly as I'd take it from my pocket, and the edge of the screen would catch on fabric. It would have been very easy to keep pulling and bend those hinges or tear the screen off, particularly in a hurried situation.

Maybe the more modestly endowed MyTouch Slide is actually a more stable and less battery-hungry Android phone.

Ubizmo

Global Posts
    160 Global Posts

I'm finally making the switch from my BB 8220 (Pearl Flip) to the G2. This phone (the BB) has been nothing but trouble for the majority of the time I have owned it. First it had stupid software issues, then hardware, and now that I revived it after major water exposure, it has become the spawn of the devil!

I'm excited for my G2 and cannot wait until it finally shows up! (Even with the "problems" people report, I think it is a solid phone with great specs and will surely be rooted before long with a stable root.)

My prior three phones were Blackberry with a 9700 being the most recent. The Blackberry is a great communications device and reasonably reliable. I also have the T-Mobile at home which gives me UMA without using minutes.

The issue I have with Blackberry is there is little in the area of interesting software available. Also, my old man eyes are starting to need a larger and brighter screen.

I was surprised about how well Android works, and with the unbelievable lack of an integrated spell checker, it may be the best mobile device operating system out there.

Now that I have seen what Android has, Blackberry will have little chance outside of adopting Android as their OS. If I get sick of the G2, there are many other choices that will not involve a platform change.
    Last edited by ScottieG59; 10-15-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added a comment

I gave up my Iphone 4 for a G2 I just like the android system better

Blackberry Bold 9700 Love my new G2!! its wayyy better!!

I traded someone on craigslist a iPhone 3gs for a G2. I was thinking "why the hell would he trade a G2 for a 3gs" but he said he always wanted an iPhone. His loss is my new favorite toy. I have only one regret, android games cant compare to iPhone games

I will agree with you on that one. Althou android has some good games.

MyTouch 3G

I gave up the samsung vibrant. The screen is incredible but even with lag fix. I notice the g2 is still faster than the almighty hummingbird processor. My last straw was I needed gps where I needed it the most and it totally failed on me and froze the phone multiple times.
    Samsung should be ashamed for a high end phone incapable of navigation. They need to hire a **** load of programmers if they want to keep their galaxy s customers. I was warned multiple times that samsung does not update their phones but I refused to believe it because they cannot possibly ignore their flagship model. Months go by and yes they ignored the gps problem and lagging on froyo. Goodbye vibrant, you were pleasant to look at but battery life and gps which is very critical feature in a smartphone was lagging.

G2 is the king of tmobile till mytouch comes out.

I'm new here. I actually just ordered my G2. I have leaving behind a long list of BlackBerries. Most recently the BB curve 8900.

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

Is the G2 worth switching from the Captivate? As a recent iphone convert, I love android but I find it a little frustrating that there are so few handsets running stock. Throw in the GPS issues and slow updates for Touchwiz and I'm thinking of trading it in for a G2.
    Former Advisor

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Smokexz View Post
    Haha BBM...

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    lmao

Sent from my Droid Incredible via Tapatalk

Android Central Advisor August 2011 - Late September 2011
    Former Advisor

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts

I would give up my Dinc if T-Mobile didnt suck where I live (Cape Cod, MA Area)

Android Central Advisor August 2011 - Late September 2011

I gave up my iPhone 3GS.

LONG time Windows Mobile user giving up HTC Touch Pro II with WM6.5. Got the G2 a week ago and so far so good. Quite a learning curve though! I'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions on here. Oh, I already have one...How do you change camera settings like quality 3mp, 2mp...?

Samsung B3310

Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 7.2 Nightly

I am still deciding between the G2, Vibrant, and the MyTouch 4G coming out. I am leaning to the G2, and will be moving up from a G1.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast