What phone are you giving up for the G2? And why?

barnettj

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I am (gladly) giving up the HTC HD2. At least I'm staying in the HTC family. I was also an original G1 owner. I had the HD2 for 6 months, and I had Android envy the whole time.

GearSecond

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I plan on giving up my two and half year old RAZR on Alltel for the G2. I've waited a long time to make the leap into smartphones (mostly because I was waiting on WP7) and this is the phone for me. I can't wait till tomorrow to go and play with one of these things and finally get one of my own.

theratdude64

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just upgraded from my mytouch 3g to the G2. I LOVE this phone but I'm a bit disappointed how difficult it is being to unlock. My MT3G and my wife's G1 are both cyanogen 6.0.0 so I really hope that will change sometime

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had a Blackberry 8900 for 18 months, with T-Mobile, and I've been eligible for upgrade, with contract extension, since April. I considered the Nexus, but decided against it. If the Blackberry 9800 had come to T-Mobile I might have tried that.

Or I may get the G2 tonight. It looks like what I've been waiting for: Decent but compact physical keyboard. Good sized screen, without being so huge and high-res as to suck the life out of the battery. Good camera, I think.

Before the 8900, I had SideKicks for almost four years. I liked the SideKick UI a lot, but I didn't like the locked-down app platform, or the frequent service interruptions. One of the developers of Android is the same person who helped develop the Sidekick, and I think Android retains all of what was good about the Sidekick, plus a lot more, of course.

I like the 8900, and it has been pretty reliable, if you don't mind having to reset it frequently and put up with quite a lot of lag. I don't know if the upgraded Bold, the 9780, will come to T-Mobile or not, but I feel that it's time to move on.

Ubizmo

aceman118

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
For any of you out there who have already given up a blackberry for the G2 - how does it compare so far? My main concerns are the reception, battery and keyboard.

I've already heard pretty good things about the keyboard and the battery doesn't seem to be all that much worse. It does seem like some people are having issues with reception, though. Blackberries always seem to hold a pretty good signal - any comparisons?

Troggie

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
My BlackBerry Bold 9650 is the best phone I've ever had. I moved from the Tour, which is essentially the same phone (and my first BB). The keyboard's awesome and enterprise email integration was fantastic. Unfortunately, email and calender were the only useful things on it.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of my G2 tomorrow. I don't expect to miss my BB too much.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I wish I could give up my evo for it, if sprint doesn't get an HTC slider ill be soooo chapped.

But as usual, sprint doesn't get much HTC love. Just a nod every know and then :(

esteef

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
This is what I've given up in past 2 months to obtain this beast.

Iphone 4 --- HTC Evo ---- Epic 4G ---- HTC G2

I am in love with this phone (besides pandora audio quality on Froyo)

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I had the G2 for a few days, but went back to my BB 8900 for now. I'll hope for the BB 9780 from T-Mobile in November. I simply couldn't put up with the battery life on the G2. Even on days when I got no phone calls and mostly just received email, I was lucky to have any charge left at 5:00 pm. I did get and use task killer apps, but to no avail. Also, for reasons that neither T-Mobile tech support nor my work IT people could figure out, the G2 simply would not validate my work email account. It was a nice phone, but these two things were deal-breakers.

Ubizmo

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I had the G2 for a few days, but went back to my BB 8900 for now. I'll hope for the BB 9780 from T-Mobile in November. I simply couldn't put up with the battery life on the G2. Even on days when I got no phone calls and mostly just received email, I was lucky to have any charge left at 5:00 pm. I did get and use task killer apps, but to no avail. Also, for reasons that neither T-Mobile tech support nor my work IT people could figure out, the G2 simply would not validate my work email account. It was a nice phone, but these two things were deal-breakers.

Ubizmo

I remember having the 8900 before I bought the Nexus One. Blackberries are unfair to compare battery life simply because they do not handle data in the same manner and use less power because of it. I can get through the entire day without having to charge, but I would suggest getting a car charger since plugging it in won't hurt and give it a little boost on your way home. All android phones last about the same. It just comes with the territory. DO NOT USE ANY TASK KILLERS IN FROYO!! Sorry for "yelling" but it is vital that you understand it. It does not do you any good and can create more problems.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
Well I have a BB 8900 since launch and loved the phone until the Torch came out with ATT and I must say I'm disappointed with OS6 not that I even got the opportunity to use it myself...I think its time to move on to the future of cell phones...lets just hope the WiFi calling update works when I get my G2 on Friday just in time for my birthday. Blackberry is back to being at the bottom of the pile IMO.