What phone are you giving up for the G2? And why?

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I gave up the 8900, and I'm getting my G2 today, I was getting bored with blackberry, but I think I'm gonna miss the email, and BBM.

If you are a heavy Gmail user you wont miss the email. And for you bbm addicts there is Gtalk, and various multi-chat clients (eBuddy, Trillian, etc.) that I use Facebook chat for. Plus text messages with Google voice outdid the need for bbm anyways since they are free. Not having 3G or even "4G" on the 8900 is just a major minus. Plus a real web browser makes android a more modern OS nowadays.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Frank_45

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
If you are a heavy Gmail user you wont miss the email. And for you bbm addicts there is Gtalk, and various multi-chat clients (eBuddy, Trillian, etc.) that I use Facebook chat for. Plus text messages with Google voice outdid the need for bbm anyways since they are free. Not having 3G or even "4G" on the 8900 is just a major minus. Plus a real web browser makes android a more modern OS nowadays.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Cool, the browser was the tipping point for me to go with android.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
The lack of instant messaging apps on a BlackBerry is just dumb, those keyboards are meant for some heavy texting... yeah G Talk is more like a faster more universal BBM, without the bad name lol... plus your one gmail account is essentially the only thing Google needs to set up your Google Voice, Google Talk, Android Market, Google Buzz, Google Reader, and even Google Listen accounts. Its amazing cause when I used a BlackBerry I had to make different accounts for everything, my beta testing account should be linked to my Appworld account lol FAIL on RIM's end

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The lack of instant messaging apps on a BlackBerry is just dumb, those keyboards are meant for some heavy texting... yeah G Talk is more like a faster more universal BBM, without the bad name lol... plus your one gmail account is essentially the only thing Google needs to set up your Google Voice, Google Talk, Android Market, Google Buzz, Google Reader, and even Google Listen accounts. Its amazing cause when I used a BlackBerry I had to make different accounts for everything, my beta testing account should be linked to my Appworld account lol FAIL on RIM's end

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

For what it's worth the BeeJive multi-IM client works great on BB, as it does on Android. There are others like it available for BB, so I don't know why you say there's a lack of IM apps. There isn't. As for one account linking to all those apps, you have to remember than not everyone uses Google for everything. I have several email accounts, only one of which is Google. I do use Google calendar, but that syncs with my BB calendar anyway, so no problem there.

BB App World has to be linked to an email account for billing purposes (PayPal). It doesn't force you to use a Google account though.

Another good BB feature is the ability to prompt to delete email on handheld only or on handheld and server.

I will miss the larger screen of the G2 though. And the Android OS itself is mostly a pleasure to use.

Ubizmo

anon(11078)

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the G2 today. I'm giving up my Nexus One. I'll miss the hotspot capability, hopefully in the long run T-Mobile will implement it.

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I picked up the G2 today. I'm giving up my Nexus One. I'll miss the hotspot capability, hopefully in the long run T-Mobile will implement it.

Well, they supposedly say there is an OTA update out and about, I haven't gotten it yet so you have to consider if it is fake or not >.> regardless the OTA update supposedly has Wi-fi calling and tethering support, finally, at least it didn't take longer than 2 weeks...

alekaras

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I gave up BB 8900 for G2. For my taste, the larger keyboard is not very convenient. Maybe it takes some getting used to. The battery life is horrible. I go from 100% to 80% in half an hour when I am using an app on the phone. I see this as the main drawback. I also miss BBM, but I'll get over it. Finally, the size is a bit big compared to my 8900. Other than that, the phone is quite sweet.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Loving everyone coming off of CrackBerry. Yes battery life on BBs are amazing and its something you will have to adjust on android. iOS and Android both will only get you through a day. Blame not having dedicated servers and being stuck on edge (looking at u 8900)

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I gave up BB 8900 for G2. For my taste, the larger keyboard is not very convenient. Maybe it takes some getting used to. The battery life is horrible. I go from 100% to 80% in half an hour when I am using an app on the phone. I see this as the main drawback. I also miss BBM, but I'll get over it. Finally, the size is a bit big compared to my 8900. Other than that, the phone is quite sweet.
Me too, I noticed the battery life is pretty damn bad... I had it on standby for about 7 hours (school) and it was roughly at about 70 to 80%... pretty bad I never got this on my Vibrant. After that I was texting, web browsing, listening to music, show down to 30% so fast! In about 4 to 5 hours it shot down that fast, I was amazed it wasn't even heavy use. Pretty meh about the battery life, but its okay... no other complaints besides the hinge, seriously that thing just feels like its about to break right off.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
How about coming off a Treo 680!

Wow!! I remember that phone when it came out around the time I graduated high school. Yeah you probably win the award. I couldn't imagine hanging on to a phone that long. You do know you are eligible for upgrades right? Just playing. back in those days it was either Palm or BlackBerry for your choice of smartphones. Look at how the landscape has changed.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
I give 2-3 more years and every cell phone in the world will be a smartphone. There will be no such thing as regular cell phones that just makes calls. They will all be portable computers that do everything. If they can do something like that with TVs all switching to digital than it is foreseeable in the cell phone market.

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I give 2-3 more years and every cell phone in the world will be a smartphone. There will be no such thing as regular cell phones that just makes calls. They will all be portable computers that do everything. If they can do something like that with TVs all switching to digital than it is foreseeable in the cell phone market.

Except that there will be people (think, elderly) who really only want a phone that does nothing but makes phone calls.

Oh, and thinking about giving up my Droid X and Verizon to go to the G2 since I have had a lot of data issues with VZ lately.

LCW

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
the more I read about the G2 from users that have it... the more I'm thinking of staying away... the loose hinge... the poor battery life... the music cutting out... random reboots... it's just not ready for primetime... I had my doubts about the whole hinge mechanism... turns out it's not as great as HTC would make you think it is... I really wish it was a regular slider, or even a slide/tilt like the TyTN II was...

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
the more I read about the G2 from users that have it... the more I'm thinking of staying away... the loose hinge... the poor battery life... the music cutting out... random reboots... it's just not ready for primetime... I had my doubts about the whole hinge mechanism... turns out it's not as great as HTC would make you think it is... I really wish it was a regular slider, or even a slide/tilt like the TyTN II was...

Just remember an average person isn't going to make a thread "I Love my G2 and here's why lolblahblah". If you're posting it's usually because you have some sort of problem, so the numbers are skewed. I'm going to guess that the vast majority of G2's are fine and their owners happy.

Reactions: miller7796

helmdawg

Sep 26, 2010
Visit site
My G2 is perfectly fine and ready for prime time.. Of course we all want more battery life but that comes with the territory. Just charge the thing during the day, thats what I do...

ubizmo

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

These things affect people differently. The truth is that all large-screen high performance devices are going to drain the battery faster than smaller-screen devices with lower specs. That's undoubtedly one of the main reasons why BlackBerry phones do not have the largest screens and fastest processors, and why the OS isn't as slick. The BB "base", to borrow a political term, is still the working professional who needs the phone to be ready all day, without needing a second charge. Even the larger screen BBs (Storm, Torch) don't have higher res, so they save some power that way.

But for many people, charging the G2 (or iPhone, or Vibrant, etc) is just no problem at all, and the minor inconvenience of doing so is a small price to pay for the added performance.

The loose hinge is another matter. Before I bought the G2 I watched a YouTube video where the hinge was tested and wasn't loose. But mine was loose, and it was a problem. Even though I only had the phone a few days, on several occasions, it would open slightly as I'd take it from my pocket, and the edge of the screen would catch on fabric. It would have been very easy to keep pulling and bend those hinges or tear the screen off, particularly in a hurried situation.

Maybe the more modestly endowed MyTouch Slide is actually a more stable and less battery-hungry Android phone.

Ubizmo

Starku

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm finally making the switch from my BB 8220 (Pearl Flip) to the G2. This phone (the BB) has been nothing but trouble for the majority of the time I have owned it. First it had stupid software issues, then hardware, and now that I revived it after major water exposure, it has become the spawn of the devil!

I'm excited for my G2 and cannot wait until it finally shows up! (Even with the "problems" people report, I think it is a solid phone with great specs and will surely be rooted before long with a stable root.)