Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What phone are you giving up for the G2? And why?

From reading the forum, it sounds like quite a few of you are current N1 users? What are other people giving up for the G2?

My past 2 phones have been the BB 8900 and the 9700. This will be my first Android based phone.
    Last edited by iamlilysdad; 12-01-2010 at 09:28 PM.

considering giving up my Droid X... i'm a Verizon ***** since all other carriers suck in my area (Long Beach, CA) but this phone is a beast!!

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Don't know if you can call it "giving up", more like "getting rid of" my G1

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Blackberry Pearl Flip 8220

Quote Originally Posted by cltatenza View Post
    From reading the forum, it sounds like quite a few of you are current N1 users? What are other people giving up for the G2?

My past 2 phones have been the BB 8900 and the 9700. This will be my first Android based phone.
    I have also owned the BB 8900 and presently am using the 9700, and have never owned an Android before as well.... I'm looking forward to owning one. Unfortunately I need to wait until November, which could be good if T-Mobile also releases the myTouch HD in early November (as was rumored). IMHO, it's a good time to leave the Blackberry world and get an Android.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

I plan to return my Epic today.

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy97 View Post
    IMHO, it's a good time to leave the Blackberry world and get an Android.
    Agreed. OS 6 just doesn't look like all that much of a change and the as much as I like the 9700 battery life and keyboard theres just no open development/apps for it and I think I could get a lot more out of an android device. The G2 is looking pretty awesome. Here's hoping t-mo lets me get one for the contract price.

I'm planning on selling my beloved Nexus One to get the G2. I don't really want to get rid of my Nexus One because of its awesomeness, but I got to play with a G2 in the store yesterday and I think it is a worthy successor.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

@denness544, just curious, why are you giving up the Epic for the G2?

I'm actually in the same boat and today is the last day to turn the Epic in, so I went and played with a G2 at T-Mob today and it felt really nice, tight and well engineered. That said, the Epic is way smoother and faster all around, not that the G2 was a slouch.

The screen is no competition, but the G2 buttons, layout and ergonomics are supreme. That may be worth the price of admission.

Hmmm... the clock is ticking.

im upgrading my cliq.. now i need to find an app that lets me remote wipe
    motorola a630 - sidekick2 - sidekick3 - sidekick id - sidekick 2008 - motorola cliq - T-Mobile G2(2010)*inbound*

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

I gave up my BB Curve 8900 and Bold 9700 for the G2. So far I'm liking the switch.

Global Posts
    76 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoDapper View Post
    @denness544, just curious, why are you giving up the Epic for the G2?

I'm actually in the same boat and today is the last day to turn the Epic in, so I went and played with a G2 at T-Mob today and it felt really nice, tight and well engineered. That said, the Epic is way smoother and faster all around, not that the G2 was a slouch.

The screen is no competition, but the G2 buttons, layout and ergonomics are supreme. That may be worth the price of admission.

Hmmm... the clock is ticking.
    I am not completely happy with my Epic but I do admit it is a nice device. I have problems with the capacitive buttons, keyboard mis-type, horrible battery life, etc. It's really the little things that bugs me. I came from an iPhone and pretty much like a device that works.

I can't just fault the Epic though. Sprint's 3G network is poor here in my area (LA/OC). I really can't turn on 4G all the time since that kills the battery so I figured with T-mobile's HSPA+ it's using just a single radio so therefore I wouldn't have to turn on and off the 4G radio. I'm not willing to stick with the Epic and Sprint's network for 2 years. Instead, I rather go on the T-mobile's month-to-month and buy the G2 straight up. I am very fickle with my mobile devices so the upgrade bug is always there. When there is something I feel worth the 2-year (or 1-year on VZ) committment then I'll jump on it. In the meantime, I rather do the no annual contract route. I can always sell my G2.

The most appealing thing about the G2 to me is Vanilla Android IMO. Also, the development community will be all over this device.
    Thanked by:

Moving from my HTC Tattoo and G1!

Global Posts
    169 Global Posts

My wife and I are switching from BlackBerrys (9650 & 8330). We got the BBs when I started my last job, which had a blackberry server. I got a nice monthly reimbursement. I recently changed positions and no longer need a blackberry, so we're jumping ship!

I've always wanted an Android phone, and the G2 is coming at the perfect time. I could upgrade to one of the Verizon Droids, but I'm tired of paying the Verizon premium. HSPA+ is supposed to be coming to Phoenix soon, so I'm pretty stoked about that too.

I'm a new member here, and while I'm sad to be leaving Crackberry, this looks like a great new home!

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Going to the G2 from a 8900.
    I can not wait for a fast phone that doesn't take 15 minutes to turn back on!!!
    I've never had an android phone before but played with my friends Vibrant and Epic, so I am very excited for my G2's Monday arrival!!

Global Posts
    2,335 Global Posts

Coming from a Blackberry 8120--->Blackberry 9700 and now to the G2. Once T-Mobile registers my SIM, I'm in business!
    (AT&T) Nokia 5110 (2001)-->(Cingular) Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile)Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700 (2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010) (Sprint/Nextel) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Inspire(2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Vivid(2012)-->(Verizon)Motorola DROID RAZOR (2012) (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S3(2012)
    ~K Bear~

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    ROM
    CNA 1.4.0

From BB 9700 to G2, first android phone and loving it!
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

anyone ditch an iphone to go with the G2? just curious...
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One

Global Posts
    951 Global Posts
    ROM
    Only Jelly Bean or ICS!

Id be all over this if tmobile didnt suck in my area.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by mi_canuck View Post
    anyone ditch an iphone to go with the G2? just curious...
    My wife wants to give up her unlocked iPhone on TMo for my G2, but it's not going to happen

i gave up NexusOne for G2.. but if i can't move NexusOne for the price I want to sell then I'll most likely to return G2.

Global Posts
    369 Global Posts

I am (gladly) giving up the HTC HD2. At least I'm staying in the HTC family. I was also an original G1 owner. I had the HD2 for 6 months, and I had Android envy the whole time.

I plan on giving up my two and half year old RAZR on Alltel for the G2. I've waited a long time to make the leap into smartphones (mostly because I was waiting on WP7) and this is the phone for me. I can't wait till tomorrow to go and play with one of these things and finally get one of my own.

I just upgraded from my mytouch 3g to the G2. I LOVE this phone but I'm a bit disappointed how difficult it is being to unlock. My MT3G and my wife's G1 are both cyanogen 6.0.0 so I really hope that will change sometime

Global Posts
    3,121 Global Posts

I've had a Blackberry 8900 for 18 months, with T-Mobile, and I've been eligible for upgrade, with contract extension, since April. I considered the Nexus, but decided against it. If the Blackberry 9800 had come to T-Mobile I might have tried that.

Or I may get the G2 tonight. It looks like what I've been waiting for: Decent but compact physical keyboard. Good sized screen, without being so huge and high-res as to suck the life out of the battery. Good camera, I think.

Before the 8900, I had SideKicks for almost four years. I liked the SideKick UI a lot, but I didn't like the locked-down app platform, or the frequent service interruptions. One of the developers of Android is the same person who helped develop the Sidekick, and I think Android retains all of what was good about the Sidekick, plus a lot more, of course.

I like the 8900, and it has been pretty reliable, if you don't mind having to reset it frequently and put up with quite a lot of lag. I don't know if the upgraded Bold, the 9780, will come to T-Mobile or not, but I feel that it's time to move on.

Ubizmo
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast