Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can you get T-mobile to turn off the data on a newly discounted phone upgrade?

I have two phone lines with T-Mobile. My main one for my smart phone with data, and a second cheap plan with no data for my parents. I have always used the upgrades on both lines to get a discounted phone for my main line while my parents keep the same crappy phone that they barely use. My line with the data is still under contract so I just used the upgrade on my parents line for a new Smartphone but what I was unaware of was that they make you get the data with a discounted Smartphone if you dont have it on your line to begin with. I will now be paying for both lines with data when only one is actually using it. Does anyone know if there is any way to get them to take off the data? Otherwise I will have to return it in 14 days.

Thanks
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

I'm not totally sure but I believe one of the caveats of upgrading to an Android phone is "needing" to keep a data plan on that line, for the upgrade. So canceling the data may put you up for a heavy early termination fee. But I'm not all knowing in carrier policy so I'm not sure. Your best bet is to call CS, explain your situation and maybe they have mercy on you.

My guess is they will say that you should have waited to upgrade using your line and to continue paying for two data plans. You may be able to get away with paying the termination on your current plan (which may be less than your new upgraded line), then "switching" with your parents.

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

Android phones require data for T-Mobile. If you do not want data, you will need to pay the ETF & move to another network.
    (AT&T) Nokia 5110 (2001)-->(Cingular) Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile)Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700 (2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010) (Sprint/Nextel) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Inspire(2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Vivid(2012)-->(Verizon)Motorola DROID RAZOR (2012) (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S3(2012)
    ~K Bear~

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by K Bear View Post
    Android phones require data for T-Mobile. If you do not want data, you will need to pay the ETF & move to another network.
    I think you missed his point. He wanted to get the smartphone on another plan, use it on his plan, and cancel the data on the other plan.

Global Posts
    2,336 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    I think you missed his point. He wanted to get the smartphone on another plan, use it on his plan, and cancel the data on the other plan.
    Still cannot be done. Android devices require the Android feature or else the OP will need tl pay the ETF or the full price of the device. Once you purchase a device via contract, you agree to pay for the required data plan as part of the TOS. You can swap devices on different lines, but you will still be require to have the Android feature on whatever line the device is linked to.
    (AT&T) Nokia 5110 (2001)-->(Cingular) Nokia 6102i (2007)-->(T-Mobile)Blackberry Pearl 8120 (2008)-->(T-Mobile) Blackberry Bold 9700 (2010)-->(T-Mobile) T-Mobile G2 (2010) (Sprint/Nextel) HTC Evo 4G White (2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Inspire(2011)-->(AT&T)HTC Vivid(2012)-->(Verizon)Motorola DROID RAZOR (2012) (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S3(2012)
    ~K Bear~
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thumbs up

Got it done! T-mobile hooked it up with a little persuasion

I do the same thing. I have 5 lines and 3 data plans. I know T-Mobile can do what they need to to satisfy customers on the phone. For me, it was simple. Either they did the reasonable thing I request or I move on. I have always been a good customer and always pay my bills on time. I never ask for anything unreasonable. My last two upgrades were based on my extra lines. We are not data hogs on their network and it is worth being nice to us.

Hi... I'm about to do the same thing and I have a couple of questions.

Did you have to call retentions to do this or can you just go through customer service? And, can you do it from tmo's website?

I have 4 lines, one with a data plan, 2 out of contract. I want to use one of the lines to get the MT4G but use it on the one line that already has a data plan.