Get ADB to recognize the G2

theratdude64

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't see a post in the G2 area about this, so I figure I'll post it...

I spent quite a while last night trying to get my ADB to discover my G2. It shows up in device manager as ADB, and will not find the driver. I have SDK in my root directory c:\android and directing windows to the USB Drivers in this directory did nothing. So I found a guide to fixing the .inf file so that when you direct windows to it, it will detect the G2. And now, I can screen capture with DDMS :)

Here is the modified file that you copy over the existing .inf in the USB Drivers directory that SDK Setup downloaded. Let me know if it works, from what I was looking into it shouldn't be specific to my computer but my apologies if it is. I took a guide for getting a Desire to work and made it work with T-Mobile G2 with it's device ID's

And here is my Quadrant Standard benchmark screen shot I was able to take because of this.

G2benchmark.png

Dzeimsas

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
RatDude-

Thanks so much for this post, I was getting really frustrated as well when the SDK wasnt detecting my G2... It was definitley a WTF moment.

I was actually directed here by Arno Gourdol, Adobe's Director of Engineering.

NOTE:: RatDude's updated .inf file DOES work but you need reinstall the driver before it will actually be detected.

Right Click on "My Computer > Manage", then "System Tools > Device Manager". At this point it does not recognize your G2 so look for "Other Devices > ADB". Right click on ADB and then reinstall driver. You will need to browse for the "usb_driver" folder that you just updated.

Then you should be golden.

Thx again man!

theratdude64

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Glad to see it works for someone :) I have been meaning to try it on my other computers but my puppy ate my cable lol.

Ya I forgot to mention that you gotta reload the drivers, then it works :)

Dzeimsas

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Oh I see... Ill check that out when I get some time. Any thing in particular that you are working on... Company I work for does a lot of social media type stuff and and and our other as3 guy have convinced our CIO to dive into AIR for android.

Cant wait to jump in head first!

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Actually guys, I managed to get ADB to recognize my G2 by uninstalling the ADB drivers and installing PdaNet on my computer. Then when I plugged my G2 back in, ADB had no issues.

Reactions: Dzeimsas

Dzeimsas

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm... well that is interesting. I guess there is more than one way to get around this issue. Im just happy ADB recognizes my G2 now.

Thanks for the additional info on this issue... Im sure a lot more people are going to run into this problem.

efpizarro

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
I also used cr3amy's method after reading this thread and it also worked for me. Running Win Vista 32bit SP2 with a G2 and happily watching my phone's debug log running on eclipse! I had tried changing the driver files before but had no luck though maybe i did something wrong. But after installing drivers that come with Pdanet Windows recognizes the device and drivers automatically no problem...weird, but that's Windows for ya! Just glad its working now.

jbakerdsm

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Not sure why it's not working for me... I copied the new driver file to C:\android\usb_driver folder & when prompted, I point the driver installation wizard to the C:\android\usb_driver folder, but it does not find any compatible drivers. I am trying to do this on a HTC G2 with Android 2.2. Any ideas?

Rjbaran17

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
This driver solution didnt work for me either. Windows 7 32 bit here, IT guy. PDANET worked for me somehow, and lets me use tethering at the same time!

Plastic3D

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
New Solution To G2 Drivers: This Works

After many unsuccessful attempts by using the attached driver file at the top of this thread, I finally found a solution here:

[SOLVED][ADB] Won't install correctly for my G2. - xda-developers

Download Corylulu's zip file, and be sure to replace ALL the files in your driver folder, or else WinXP or others will not recognize the .inf file.

I moved the original files and folders into a new safe-keeping folder just in case before replacing.

Voila!

theratdude64

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Hm thats weird it's giving issues. I did go in and Device Manager remove the original attempt of the driver installation, then redid it with mine. Mine's a 32 Bit Win7 Acer AspireONE 10" netbook. I need to load it on x64 here soon too.

Radix5

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,
I have spent the last 2 days trying to figure this very thing out?! I believe I am in the right place. I just bought a G2 3 weeks ago and have a pc XP Pro. I can't seem to fint the file .inf mentioned above. Everthing is working, but ADB is not recognizing my phone. When I go to ADB in Device Manager, the only option that comes up is to "update drivers"?! Any help would be huge! Thanks in advance. ~ Gary

Tone867

May 21, 2011
Visit site
USB -G2

Let me give this a try. I have been trying to get it to work for a long time now.

I don't see a post in the G2 area about this, so I figure I'll post it...

I spent quite a while last night trying to get my ADB to discover my G2. It shows up in device manager as ADB, and will not find the driver. I have SDK in my root directory c:\android and directing windows to the USB Drivers in this directory did nothing. So I found a guide to fixing the .inf file so that when you direct windows to it, it will detect the G2. And now, I can screen capture with DDMS :)

Here is the modified file that you copy over the existing .inf in the USB Drivers directory that SDK Setup downloaded. Let me know if it works, from what I was looking into it shouldn't be specific to my computer but my apologies if it is. I took a guide for getting a Desire to work and made it work with T-Mobile G2 with it's device ID's

And here is my Quadrant Standard benchmark screen shot I was able to take because of this.

G2benchmark.png