G2 Issues and Advantages (Pros and Cons thread)

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
My G2 has been getting warm when doing standard stuff with it. It's also reset itself twice recently... Yesterday when I was driving and tried to turn on bluetooth and this morning when I had just turned off wifi and was typing a comment on TweetDeck.

Why the hell is my phone acting like this?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
My phone also gets warm after prolonged browsing sessions, don't think it's a problem (even though Jerry's review stated his doesn't run hot). As for rebooting, it may be a recently installed apps fault, or several people report random rebooting. Possible this upcoming ota will fix it.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Okay well I just looked at my Battery Usage, and it's a little weird...

Android System - 41%
Cell Standby - 25%
Display - 14%
Phone Idle - 12%
Wifi - 7%

What the hell is Android System doing that it's chewing up that much battery? And why, in an area with good reception, is my phone using so much battery power on Cell Standby?

Btw, this is over a span of 2 hours, one of which the phone was barely touched, one of which it was used for checking news, gmail, and texting.

jonesdavide

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
those are all pretty standard percentages. You can always click on the individual items to get more info. Also remember that those percentages reflect how much battery that item has used relative to the other items in the list, the percentage does not reflect the amount of battery that item has used.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just thought it was odd that Cell Standby and Android System used so much more battery than the screen.

ScottieG59

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
My G2 will go from having a strong signal to loosing it with no action on my part. Many times, I find it with an X for connection. It does not matter if I am on the T-Mobile network or on my home WiFi. It does not regain connection until I intervene.

A couple times, I could see the phone start from a strong signal and start to weaken until it goes to the X.

I have heard elsewhere that this is a common problem and we have hopes T-Mobile will push out a fix very soon. Otherwise, I may just give up on their service.

The way the keyboard opens is not slick and I always fumble with it before it opens. Maybe the design makes sense on some level or maybe it fixed a problem HTC was having. For me, I am often on the verge of dropping the phone and often I have to go back to where I wanted to type as I changed the page during the fumbling.

The other issue I had one time is a white out screen where only the top bar showed. The only way I could get the G2 to respond was removing the battery.

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
My G2 just had a random restart and deleted all of my texts! Wtf! Good thing I save every pic girls send me for just this reason but wtf, really?

I can't imagine I have a faulty app...

Reactions: igotsanevo4g

SpicyCurry

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
My G2 has had very little problems. I experienced the random reboot/dropped calls thing for only a day (which I guess is no longer an issue anyway since the OTA rollout).

I get great signal in the LA area, 90% of the time I'm on HSPA+, other 10% is edge. I rarely ever get dropped calls, and now I should never get them with wifi calling.

I've never had a smartphone with a keyboard before, but now I can say that's a requirement for me now. Swype is cool and all, but I generally type in slang or use unorthodox words with my friends, so a keyboard is great for that. Not to mention that playing emulated games is infinitely greater using a keyboard as opposed to virtual controls on the touchscreen.

A lot of people like the G2 keyboard, but I honestly think it could have been designed better. The spacebar key should be bigger, while making the left side Caps key smaller (no reason for it to be that wide). Or even having a wide caps key is fine, but there's one on each side. I never use the one on the right side.

Also, there's no back button or home button on the keyboard. To me, this was another wtf-with-the-design. Normally, this wouldn't be a big deal except for the fact that the programmable keys cannot be programmed to do "back" or "home." There's a thread on these forums about this, and it seems like a solution hasn't been found for this yet.

My ideal keyboard would have been something like the one on the Epic. It has dedicated number keys, home, back, menu, search keys, as well as 4 arrow keys that can be used to move the homescreens left and right. While I realize you can't have all of these on the G2 due to it's smaller size, it wouldn't be so bad if some of the space wasted wasted on: a) quick-keys (you really don't need 3 of them, 2 at most), b) a second caps button and a second alt-key button.

TL;DR version: great phone, snappy, clean look, keyboard has a nice feel, but could have been designed to have more useful keys

canonjon

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I have an issue where if I get any sort of message while on a phone call, the device still vibrates. It is very loud and annoying to both me and the person I'm talking too. They all ask, "What's that duck sound?" Anyone know how to resolve this?
-Jon

iownaG2

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I have ALMOST nothing bad to say about my G2. It's been an awesome device, especially upgrading from my myTouch 3G.

Two little annoyances:
-MMS pictures always show up as slide shows. (Sending & receinving.) Wish they could just be pictures like I used to see them. I wonder if it's a Froyo thing?
-Bluetooth devices (more than one) seem to have trouble switching from music playback to a call and back. Again, might just be a froyo thing.

I can't say enough about the great features though: wifi hotspot tethering, blazing fast speed, HSPA network, Google Nav, etc. etc etc

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
Two little annoyances:
-MMS pictures always show up as slide shows. (Sending & receinving.) Wish they could just be pictures like I used to see them. I wonder if it's a Froyo thing?
-Bluetooth devices (more than one) seem to have trouble switching from music playback to a call and back. Again, might just be a froyo thing.

For the first one:
I use HandCent SMS for all texting purposes. Besides better customizability, it also handles picture messages properly... like PICTURES. Highly recommend this app. The only time I don't use it is for sending pics. I've found the default app more reliable in getting the pic to the sender. But it's such a small nag... everything else about that app is awesome.

Second one:
I have that issue too. When I'm playing music in my car and want to use my headset, it'll play the music in my ear for a second before it works. It'll also freak out sometimes and play music in my ear while trying to call and sometimes throw the call out of Bluetooth mode. Very weird when it happens, but I can usually pause the music pretty quick and fix it all. You're not alone on that, but I don't think it's a phone issue, I think it's an Android issue.

robbinsgj

Jan 25, 2010
www.gerryisms.com
My G2 will go from having a strong signal to loosing it with no action on my part. Many times, I find it with an X for connection. It does not matter if I am on the T-Mobile network or on my home WiFi. It does not regain connection until I intervene.

A couple times, I could see the phone start from a strong signal and start to weaken until it goes to the X.

I have heard elsewhere that this is a common problem and we have hopes T-Mobile will push out a fix very soon. Otherwise, I may just give up on their service.

I have the same problem with my G2, but I also had the problem with my Blackberry as well so I'm not to certain this is a hardware issue. It could be a Network issue.

robbinsgj

Jan 25, 2010
www.gerryisms.com
I started with the T-Mobile Dash then the Shadow and graduated to the Blackberry Pearl, then the Pearl Flip. Went to the MyTouch 3G then to the Bold 9700 and back to Android with the G2. Compared to all the other phones I have had, I love the G2. Every phone is going to have its own annoyances, but I have to say so far the G2 it the best phone I have owned.

Blkbear

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have an issue where if I get any sort of message while on a phone call, the device still vibrates. It is very loud and annoying to both me and the person I'm talking too. They all ask, "What's that duck sound?" Anyone know how to resolve this?
-Jon

Turning off Vibrate in notifications, should do the trick. I have things setup to it will only vibrate when on silent. And then only from certain contacts.

bigefromdabx

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
The only problem I have so far is that I bought a Motorola SD-10 HD Bluetooth Stereo Headset and paired it with no problem. I can listen to music. Sounds great. Control the music with fast forward buttons etc but once I actually answer a phone call or make a phone call, I wont hear the music playing through my headphones anymore. The media player will keep going but no music. I called HTC, T-mobile and Motorola and they said that the The Headphones have two profiles. One for voice and one for music. Once I after the phone call and hang up, it doesnt go back to the music profile and stays on the voice. HTC Recommended I turn the bluetooth off and then on again and it will work. The only problem is that when I mountain bike and i have my phone in my back pack, this will be a problem. so I ended up returning the Motorola SD-10's

BTW I went to t-mobile and tried to make it work on another G2 with no success. However it did work with the My Touch 4G with no problem.

sixstring

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Random Reboots

Hi all,
I just bought the G2 today and my first impressions of it were great... that is until it started randomly rebooting (on the car ride home!!). The phone is completely stock and I haven't installed any apps.

The reboots happen most frequently when I'm driving in my car with it... as if it has a problem changing cell towers. I found plenty of hits searching google about this but not many answers...

Do you guys know how to fix this? I'm not shy about slapping on a custom ROM, does anyone know if that would fix the issue?

Thanks!

*update:
Anyways, to follow up, I discovered CM6.1.1 and CM7.RC1 didn't solve my issue for any who are interested. A low signal environment triggers this even in gingerbread it seems :(

Last edited:

robbinsgj

Jan 25, 2010
www.gerryisms.com
I started with the T-Mobile Dash then the Shadow and graduated to the Blackberry Pearl, then the Pearl Flip. Went to the MyTouch 3G then to the Bold 9700 and back to Android with the G2. Compared to all the other phones I have had, I love the G2. Every phone is going to have its own annoyances, but I have to say so far the G2 it the best phone I have owned.

UPDATE: Since this post, I have had to replace the SIM card, get another G2 and put in 2 service requests with the T-mobile engineers. It seems I am having the data / signal issue that many others are experiencing. The phone pretty much only works when you have it set to use only 2G networks.

Unfortunately I am going to have to move to another carrier or try a different phone. I can't have a phone that doesn't work when I need it and there is no reason to have a 4G phone if you can't use the 4G.

mxs93

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I've had my G2 since December and I love it but however I do have some issues and just wonder are they normal.
1. Often time the Gallery will not show my pictures. Either it will have a 30 second delay or sometimes not at all. However, when I use apps like Astro it doesn't lag at all. Its not a big issue but its definitely annoying.
2. Signal is horrible. In certain places, I get no HSUPA+ converage and all but have to settle for 3G speeds which would be fine if those moved like regular 3G but instead it goes horribly slpw. I've had phones that weren't even smartphones that browsed much faster on AT&Ts 3G connection. Also, I get a lot of dropped calls.

So, anybody else have these issues??

Frank Arnold1

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
***"Quote
cr3amy

Android System - 41%
Cell Standby - 25%
Display - 14%
Phone Idle - 12%
Wifi - 7%

Btw, this is over a span of 2 hours, one of which the phone was barely touched, one of which it was used for checking news, gmail, and texting.
End Quote"***

So if the screen was off most of the 2 hours? Why would you think it should show the most use?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power