battery life

luky7evens

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
So I got the G2 two days ago and I love the phone (better than the Iphone). I only have one issue with the phone, the battery life. I run the android cental, engadget, yahoo news, beautiful widgets clock, face book, and twitter widgets.i only turn on wifi and gps when I need them. Does any one have any ideas on how to prolong my battery life

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Change the update frequency on all those widgets (or delete ones you don't need). I used to be able to last about 13 hours, but since I've added the beautiful widgets clock and google finance widgets to my home screen that has dropped to about 11 with moderate usage (My 2 widgets vs your 6).

Also change screen brightness from automatic to around 20% (or just bright enough to where you can see your screen). That will help also.

Finally, go become an engineer and work on developing the next generation of portable batteries, we need them.

luky7evens

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the Help. I have done that, and tweaked the screen brightness also got watchdog and found an app i had sucking up my cpu got ride of it. Im getting about 9 hours before I need a charge.

and sry studying to become a network security tech so cant help with battery thing.

njblackberry

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Well, I removed every widget (too bad) and disabled WiFi and Bluetooth (who needs WiFi anyway). Android phones seem to consume a lot more battery charge than is available. Have both the G2 and Samsung Vibrant and battery life stinks.

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Well, I removed every widget (too bad) and disabled WiFi and Bluetooth (who needs WiFi anyway). Android phones seem to consume a lot more battery charge than is available. Have both the G2 and Samsung Vibrant and battery life stinks.

Such is the sin of smartphones. Hardware is evolving everyday, and in return sucking more battery. Batteries just aren't keeping up.

jonesdavide

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
i thought the battery life sucked on my G2 the first week but now after a couple of weeks, i think it is really good. I dont use any task killer and as far as widgets I use Pure Calendar (update on change), Pure Messenger (update on change), Touiteur (updates every 5 min), Beautiful Widgets (update 1 hour), Android Central. I use auto-brightness as well. the other day from regular use I got 20 hours on one charge, with a handful of hours of that on stand-by while i slept. I just overclocked this weekend to 1.42 GHz and as of today ive been unplugged for 13+ hours. This processor is great and i dont think this battery has any problems.

smirkis

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site

njblackberry

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
It is NOT the sin of all "smartphones". I am comparing the G2 (and Vibrant) against BlackBerrys (and the iPhoney). The Androids power management is terrible. Plain and simple. And I love the phones. Just not the power management.

bbetenson

Nov 5, 2010
influxpc.com
I use 2G majority of the time for auto-syncing/idle times. I use 3G when I am surfing, tethering, or simply just need the extra speed. I used an app that brings me right to the "Mobile Network Settings" pages with one button. Then I check or uncheck "Use only 2G networks". I have found this to save an incredible amount of battery life.

Other than that if you go to:
Settings > About Phone > Battery Use

You can easily see what is taking the majority of your charge. If it is Cell Standby and Android System there isn't much you can do that I know of. My display is at 4% since I leave the brightness on auto.

There is also the Power Control widget you can use to easily toggle services on and off. (Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, and brightness settings)

mao mao

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm running my phone pretty lean right now, no widgets, and very few apps, and my battery life is great. by the time i plug my phone in at the end of the day I'm rarely below 50%

trap49

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
I agree with jonesdavide, battery life was so-so when I first got it (11/6), but it has progressively gotten better to the point where I had no reason to charge it overnight last night. Not bad for 2 1/2 weeks. I'd like to get a spare battery and the Evo replacement sounds good, I didn't think it would fit in the G2 but it says here that it will. Good news!

12-10-2010 UPDATE: I ordered an Evo replacement battery by Seidio, taking a chance that it would fit in my G2. This is a 1750 mAh battery and I ordered the charging cradle as well. The instructions say to continue charging 2 or 3 hours AFTER the light turns green for best results. This is no problem with the charging cradle, as I typically leave the spare in for 24 hours to charge. Anyway, the new battery does seem to last a day and a half, and this is right out of the box, so I fully expect it to get even better after a few weeks. NOTE: I had to modify the battery in order to make it fit perfectly. This consisted of filing the plastic border on the bottom of the battery on each side just a bit. NO MODIFICATIONS WERE MADE TO THE PHONE. The way manufacturers seem to design the batteries to fit a particular model seems to be by changing the notch shape at the bottom of the battery frame. The G2 seems to have two plastic pins that fit into a small space in the middle of the plastic frame on the battery bottom. The Evo frame has the notches at the back of the frame, so I just filed maybe 1/32nd of an inch off each side and now it fits perfectly.
NOTE 2: this isn't an inexpensive battery, the battery and charging cradle cost 45 and 25 respectively. As the battery is made with Japanese Lithium cells, it is probably worth it. I have 2 batteries for my work-issued Blackberry, and the Japanese-made battery lasts significantly longer than the Chinese-made battery.

Last edited:

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok so here is a trick that will help with battery life,,,if you dont mind having things like facebook, weather , email or RSS feeds not auto updating you can do the following.

Settings>accounts and sync..... Then uncheck background Data. this will keep your phone from running in the background and save you ALOT of battery life..... you can always open up your email or facebook to manually update them.

I realize some of us need constant work email to sync but for those of you who dont this will help out

wondah_woman

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
i've been getting great battery life the past few days. I feel like Ponce de Leon or something. I was lugging a charger with me, plugging it up in the car while I drove just to preserve the battery and even then I was only getting like 5 or 6 hours maybe. I had the brightness level low, wasn't auto-syncing, and using few widgets.

A couple of things worked for me. Airplane mode when I knew I wasn't going to use the phone. Like when I work out and my phone is my gym bag. I'm in the gym for an hour or hour and half and that really saves battery. Also in AP mode when i'm in the shower, or in meetings, basically places where I obviously can't and won't be using my phone. I have an ipod, so I don't use my phone to play music, and thus I don't need it in the gym.

Also I use the 2g network the majority of the time. I'm not tethering and although it does affect my surfing speed obviously, I can give up some speed for the increase in battery life that i've seen. The other day I got 15 hours out of my battery when I was use to only getting like I said before 5 or 6 hours

67jw

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Advanced Task Killer app, will do the trick by temp closing all of the apps running in the back ground, that's what is killing your batt, once installed when you boot up your phone in the morning an android icon will appear in the notification section, open it and tap the app and all of apps listed below will be disabled until you need them.

Russty

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Advanced Task Killer app, will do the trick by temp closing all of the apps running in the back ground, that's what is killing your batt, once installed when you boot up your phone in the morning an android icon will appear in the notification section, open it and tap the app and all of apps listed below will be disabled until you need them.

I tried this, but when I go and reopen the app (Advanced Task Killer app) all those apps I thought where closed are checked. Does that mean they restart? Like Finance is checked, I don't need that running -ever. Other than removing it, why is it checked as if its running still? Just curious....Thanks

spectre07

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I found a great way to increase battery life. Get the Juice Defender app. The free version doesn't do too much, but it almost doubled my battery life. It turns off your radios when the screen is off, except for every 20 min (you set) so that apps can update. It also turns off the 2g/3g if you turn on the WiFi.

I now run my phone HEAVY (widgets, live walpapers, etc.) and it still lasts me a day and about a 1/4. Not super long, but with the amount I have running on it shouldn't be lasting 6 hours.

I got it because the first full charge I had I burned through in about 6 hours. I use my phone alot lol.

Cheers

ganns1980#AC

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site

Don't ever use task killers. It actually uses up more battery power than just leaving the apps alone, because when you use the task killer and close all those apps, they just start right back up. And some of those apps are meant to be running in the background.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae