SIM Cards and the G2

Starku

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
So last night I spent nearly the whole night on the phone with T-Mobile Tech Support because my Internet connection died. During this time I learned that T-Mobile has launched a new SIM card at the same time as the G2. I was informed that the new card should improve my connection to the network and it ultimately ended up being part of the whole troubleshooting process. Now, before I go on, I should tell you I get crappy signal in my house. Normally 2 to 1 bar or even no signal. Since the change to the new card (I even compared the chip/connector to my old SIM and they are different) I have experienced faster data, and now my phone dances around 2 bars to complete signal strength. I never get full bars in this house until now. I'm only in an EDGE area and I have seen real improvement. My new SIM came with my G2.

Nissan4LIFE

Oct 12, 2010
www.facebook.com
Yea I got the new SIM with my G2 and activated it and its far better than before everywhere. I've compared the 3G signal strength with my wife's BB Bold 9700 and its at least 2 bars better than hers usually...I was chalking it up to the phones reception tho.

JoseN305

Oct 24, 2010
Visit site
If i order my phone online and have it shipped to my house, does it include the new sim? My sim card still says Voicestream on it!

Kyran

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine shipped from T-Mobile (ordered via Customer Care). I can confirm it comes with a new SIM card in the box. I can also confirm that you definitely want to activate the new SIM. I had my old one replaced about three months ago because it stopped working and I still saw a massive difference activating the card that came with the G2.

You should try your old SIM first anyway just to make sure the phone is otherwise functional... though if it says Voicestream on it, don't be surprised if it lacks a signal.

Starku

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is T-Mobile is trying to, in their words, "proactively switch people to the new SIM cards." I have been told the card manages how your device communicates with the network, so it would make sense that a newer card means better speeds. I am still seeing better overall signal and faster speeds, and none of the drop offs I've seen others complain of. All G2s are supposed to ship with the new SIM. I hope this helps.

Rra

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
My understanding is T-Mobile is trying to, in their words, "proactively switch people to the new SIM cards." I have been told the card manages how your device communicates with the network, so it would make sense that a newer card means better speeds. I am still seeing better overall signal and faster speeds, and none of the drop offs I've seen others complain of. All G2s are supposed to ship with the new SIM. I hope this helps.

So what do these new SIM cards look like? Do they still have the T logo on them or is this something entirely different?

ScottieG59

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I found the whole SIM card issue hard to believe, but after loosing connection many times a day, I activated the card that came with the phone. So far, I have not noticed the phone lose the connection as much. I will wait before I make judgment about the improvement. The signal loss was hit and miss. I only noticed it when I went to use the phone.

Where I am, T-mobile is marginal at best. They seemed to have fixed the local coverage for a bit, but it is getting bad again, with garbled voice and dropped calls.

It would be nice to have a specification sheet on SIMs. Mostly, I just have to accept what customer service tells me.

RevMen

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
What does it take to activate the SIM card that comes with the phone?

My current SIM card is about 10 months old, I got it with my Blackberry 9700. I'd like to try the new one. Cause I like trying things.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
To activate mine I just went to a t-mobile store when I went shopping and took about two minutes. Or you can call customer service.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

maggard#AC

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
How to activate a SIM card?

Call T-Mobile Customer Care at 1-800-TMOBILE, ask them to switch your SIM number, read 'em the big number on the SIM card (typically starts with 8901), say "thank you" to the nice person, then put the new SIM in your handset.

What if you don't have a new generation SIM laying around? Buy one from your local T-Mobile Corporate Store for $20+tax. They can do the activation on-the-spot for you.

reggierox13

Banned
Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
when i bought my phone the store reps took the new sim cards out of th boxes. iv had plenty of dropped calls and my phone has been acting up(wont turn on, Wifi calling wont work, etc) im making a trip to the store on Sunday because if i paid for th phone i should get the new sim card with it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21