G2 unlocked for other carriers?

miltonbradley

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Hey everybody, I am seriously considering a switch to Android from Blackberry, but the main thing holding me back is that I am having a hard time finding a device that I like for my carrier (Sprint) and I like my service, I'd rather not switch unless I RREEEAALLLLY have to.. So, my question is this: Since the G2 is the only device I have found that is as awesome as I would like, with the sweet keyboard and 5mp camera and everything else.....Is it at all possible to use a G2 on Sprint?? This may be a dumb question, forgive my lack of knowledge of such things... Any help that anyone can offer me will be greatly appreciated, whether it be info about the G2 or a suggestion of another device that I might like..

nimhero

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
The g2 would not work with sprint. Different tech w/ networks. Tmobile uses gsm and that's is what the g2 Is compatible with, sprint uses cdma and only sprint phones work...

Sent from my Epic 4g on Tapatalk Pro

miltonbradley

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
Lol. Yes, thank you, I understood that much already, I was hoping that there might be some kinda of flash or whatever "rooting" is that could possibly make it work. But I suppose it might be a hardware issue.

bbetenson

Nov 5, 2010
influxpc.com
As far as I understand rooting isn't possible with the G2 as of yet. I guess HTC put a lock on the phone so some system files are marked as read only on the phone. This means you can root it all you want but as soon as you reboot you are back to square one.

I think the only other network you could use the G2 inside the US is ATT. T-Mobile customers can get free unlock codes and instructions right from T-Mobile or you can buy them for $30 on ebay! :p Dump in the ATT SIM and you are good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC