G2 Google voice problems

Debo45215

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
I have a G2 and recently my Google Voice app force closes EVERY TIME I try to open the app. I know that deleting the app and reinstalling it would fix the problem. However, since it's baked-in I can't just delete it. I've never actually rooted a phone (*GASP!* :confused: Shame!) and am hesitant to try considering the problems with rooting a G2.
Any help would be much appreciated!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
without being rooted (which is easier than it sounds) a factory reset is the only thing i can think of. it sucks. but it would probably fix the problem. did it start after you installed a particular app?

Debo45215

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Not after an app install, but it was before the maintenance update and my phone reset on it's own. After that it was all force closes. I'd rather do a root than a factory reset, as there is data (like Angry Birds progression) that saves to the phone and not the SD card that would be lost after a factory reset.
How would I go about rooting my G2?
Thanks for the help!

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
You could get Visionary or Rage, temp root your phone, delete the app, restart your phone which will remove root and reinstall the app. It'd basically do the same thing as a factory reset, but specifically targeted towards Google Voice.

Reactions: Debo45215

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You could get Visionary or Rage, temp root your phone, delete the app, restart your phone which will remove root and reinstall the app. It'd basically do the same thing as a factory reset, but specifically targeted towards Google Voice.

Good thinking. Try that.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2

Reactions: Debo45215

Debo45215

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Ok, step 1 done. I have temp root using VISIONary, the super user icon is in my app drawer. How do I go about removing Google Voice?
Thanks again for all the help!

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
You coulda tried clearing data for the market, that always fixes it for me. After you temp root you'll need titanium backup (it's the easiest) to remove google voice.