1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default G2 Google voice problems

I have a G2 and recently my Google Voice app force closes EVERY TIME I try to open the app. I know that deleting the app and reinstalling it would fix the problem. However, since it's baked-in I can't just delete it. I've never actually rooted a phone (*GASP!* Shame!) and am hesitant to try considering the problems with rooting a G2.
    Any help would be much appreciated!
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Try clearing the cache and data in settings and see what happens.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

I cleared the cache and data, and still no luck.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

without being rooted (which is easier than it sounds) a factory reset is the only thing i can think of. it sucks. but it would probably fix the problem. did it start after you installed a particular app?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Not after an app install, but it was before the maintenance update and my phone reset on it's own. After that it was all force closes. I'd rather do a root than a factory reset, as there is data (like Angry Birds progression) that saves to the phone and not the SD card that would be lost after a factory reset.
    How would I go about rooting my G2?
    Thanks for the help!

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

You could get Visionary or Rage, temp root your phone, delete the app, restart your phone which will remove root and reinstall the app. It'd basically do the same thing as a factory reset, but specifically targeted towards Google Voice.
    Thanked by:
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    You could get Visionary or Rage, temp root your phone, delete the app, restart your phone which will remove root and reinstall the app. It'd basically do the same thing as a factory reset, but specifically targeted towards Google Voice.
    Good thinking. Try that.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Ok, step 1 done. I have temp root using VISIONary, the super user icon is in my app drawer. How do I go about removing Google Voice?
    Thanks again for all the help!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Now the Market is force closing constantly. So, at this point I've decided to simply factory reset.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    8,883 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

You coulda tried clearing data for the market, that always fixes it for me. After you temp root you'll need titanium backup (it's the easiest) to remove google voice.