G2 vs Nexus S for a returning junkie =]

OHHitsKB

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Let me start by saying I'm a reborn Android Junkie. I used to do nothing but sit around hacking and playing with ROMs and keeping up with new phones/developments, but a little while back my girlfriend got pretty sick of it so I had to give it up. Now she's convinced that Android over iOS is the way of truth and I have a little more freedom ; ]

Now, I'm sure that this subject has been beaten to death, but I've been out of the loop a while. I've heard good things about the G2, that the processor is extremely fast, and that the 4G service is lightning.
Now, when the Nexus One came out, my head was spinning. The idea of a pure Google phone was like a dream, but I could never afford one. To this day, I still see people using N1's, which only proves the phones pricelessness. Now I see the Nexus S arriving soon, and I can only hope for the same.

My question for you all is, which would you prefer based on your experience with the G2/N1 and the spec sheet given for the Nexus S? Please give me pro's and con's?

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
but a little while back my girlfriend got pretty sick of it so I had to give it up. Now she's convinced that Android over iOS is the way of truth and I have a little more freedom ; ]
*cracks a whip*

I've heard good things about the G2, that the processor is extremely fast, and that the 4G service is lightning.
Yes, I love my G2

Now, when the Nexus One came out, my head was spinning. The idea of a pure Google phone was like a dream, but I could never afford one.
G2 is basically Pure Google

To this day, I still see people using N1's, which only proves the phones pricelessness.
I'm calling BS on this. The Nexus One came out 11 months ago. I see people using year old phones ALL the time. Hell, I used my G1 (came out Halloween '08) until the G2 came out (early October '10).

My question for you all is, which would you prefer based on your experience with the G2/N1 and the spec sheet given for the Nexus S? Please give me pro's and con's?
Keyboard is too important to me to give up. And trackpad. And HSPA+. So far gaming on Android has not gotten too advanced for the G2, so I'm not concerned.

Important questions to ask yourself
- Want a keyboard? (G2's keyboard is the best keyboard I've ever touched besides the G1's)
- How important is HSPA+? (Nexus S does not get the 4G speeds. Seriously, that's r-tarded)
- How important to you is gaming? (G2 is pretty beastly for gaming, but nothing beats Samsung's Hummingbird at this point. Sony might have a response to this, though...)

Other questions to ask yourself
- How important to you is external storage? (Nexus S doesn't have an SD slot)
- How important to you is the physical size? (Nexus S is way slimmer)
- Do you prefer industrial and strong or slick and smooth? (G2 for the former, Nexus S for the latter)
- How important to you is a FFC? (Nexus S has one, G2 does not)
- How important to you is a track pad? (G2 has optical, Nexus S has none. I could not live without one.)
- How important to you are LED notifications? (Nexus S has none)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
A more fair comparison for the Nexus S is the myTouch 4G. If you like a hard keyboard get the G2, the performance is amazing. I had one for 2 weeks and loved it, but realized the keyboard was not for me. I now have the myTouch 4G. It's just as fast (if not faster) than the G2. I can fix the stock android problem with a ROM.

Two big downers for me for the Nexus S. No HSPA+ (i'm not calling it 4G just cuz T-Mo says it is). I don't like Samsung phones. I think the build quality is less than amazing, and out of a Nexus phone I expect nothing but amazing.

That being said the Nexus S is a beast of a phone. It will get star treatment from google. It is pure android, which is a HUGE deal that should be talked about more. It will probably take the performance crown and keep it for a while, like the Nexus 1 did.

If you want a keyboard get the G2, you won't be disappointed.

OHHitsKB

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
So I've decided against the Nexus S after watching some reviews and unboxings. The form factor and lack of SD slot just aren't for me. Its now between the G2 or an N1 from Craigslist. I'm thinking N1 because it should get a few more updates (hopefully) and itd be off contract, leaving my upgrade for the next installment in the Nexus line or whatever slick and shiny phone comes out. Plus the fact that the N1 still has the slickest form of all imho

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I like the Nexus One but the trackball bothers me. Other than that I would say that it is an awesome device. But it still isn't as good as the Nexus S.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
After leaving the Nexus One for the G2, I must say that the G2 is worth every penny. There were some frustrations that I had with the nexus one at times, especially the touchscreen calibration would just be off at times. It is a sexy device though and I miss the trackball notification colors, but for me the physical keyboard and the faster processor make up for anything that I happen to miss from my nexus one days.

Sent from my HTC Vision

trees247

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
I say go with the G2 i'm coming from a BB 8320 and I got this cause of the stock android look do I like the MT4G yes do I like the Nex S yes but the G2 is good phone...I'm not ready to jump and root yet but when I do it's just to overclock it. Plus G2 will get 2.3 soon cause its stock not with sense and all that.

iownaG2

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
So I've decided against the Nexus S after watching some reviews and unboxings. The form factor and lack of SD slot just aren't for me. Its now between the G2 or an N1 from Craigslist. I'm thinking N1 because it should get a few more updates (hopefully) and itd be off contract, leaving my upgrade for the next installment in the Nexus line or whatever slick and shiny phone comes out. Plus the fact that the N1 still has the slickest form of all imho

Great choice IMHO. I'm usually the first to have remorse after I bought the newest phone and an even newer one comes out. That being said, I have absolutely no regrets about my G2, and it seems like it edges out the Nexus S with HSPA capability and an SD card. For me, best phone I could have right now.

going_home

Jelly Bean ? Jelly Belly!
Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
I had a Nexus S for 7 days and returned it reversing the 2 year contract.
I cant believe they decided not to have any way to move the curser
on the Nexus S, its excruciating.
The G2 is a good phone if you need a keyboard.
The MyTouch 4g is a faster phone but the T-Mobile bloatware is hard to
get used to coming from the N1, the browser stinks.
I got Skyfire and that fixed the crappy browser problem, its the best I've used.

I still have a Nexus One but I like the G2 and the MT4G better honestly.

;)

EmceeGeek

Dec 9, 2010
www.youtube.com
If you're going to go full out touchscreen get the myTouch 4G! Its better than the Nexus S, you can always switch the rom if you don't like sense. Get the G2 if you like physical keyboards though.

Baconator

AC Adviser
Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I prefer the Nexus S. It is a GREAT phone and I like it a lot. I would also go for the Mytouch 4G. I like the G2 but it just doesn't cut it for me.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon