I finally got my phone upgrade and bought a Tmobile G2 under their buy one get one free offer. Soo far this phone is amazing and speedy compared to my older Sprint HTC Hero. But in my week and a half of owning the phone i still dont understand tmobiles tethering. They say you have to pay $15 a month for the tethering feature on the phone but it is allready on the phone. so can i use the feature without paying the $15 a month or am i charged once i use the feature?
    12-12-2010 07:44 PM
    They cant charge you without changing your service (contract) and they cant do that without your approval.
    I started tethering years ago on my G1 before Android had native tethering.
    And then moved to the Nexus One and its wifi hotspot.
    And now on the G2 and its wifi hotspot.
    I've never been charged.
    But I dont use much data, all I do is surf, I dont download netflix or anything.
    High data useage is what seems to trigger their tether "warning".
    They will send you a text message and throttle your internet speed way down.

T-mobile Blocking all forms of Tethering. - xda-developers

12-13-2010 05:03 AM
    I've been using it a lot for the last month with no charges or warnings. Here's a little detail on my experience: G2 Tethering on the Road

Good to know that they flag for extra heavy use...I'll keep my eye out and be careful.
    12-16-2010 12:02 PM
    If you dont want to use Tmobiles tethering and are looking for an app. ....PdaNet in the market works good.
    12-16-2010 12:16 PM
    So I can use the built-in and won't get warnings?

I've been using temp-root and Wireless Tether... are you saying I could be even lazier than that?
    12-16-2010 10:31 PM
    So I can use the built-in and won't get warnings?

I've been using temp-root and Wireless Tether... are you saying I could be even lazier than that?
    That's just been my experience. Heavy tether usage, but no warnings or anything.
    12-22-2010 11:41 PM
    Before there was a native tether/wifi hotspot built into the OS
    I used PDANet to tether the G1. June Fabrics PDA Technology Group
    Since I got Android 2.2 on the Nexus One and then the G2
    I've been using the native wifi hotspot.
    I havent even reached 1GB of data this month yet so
    I dont use a lot, but I've not received the dreaded text message warning
    about tethering.

So go ahead, just dont download netflix or stuff like that and you wont
    raise any red flags at the carrier.
    12-25-2010 09:02 PM
    Hi,
    I want to use the built in tethering. I plugged it in with a usb cable and windows (vista) is telling me it can't find the driver for my g2 phone. I purchased this phone by itself. No cable, cd, nothing. Can anyone help me out?
    01-20-2011 09:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD