Auto Rotate of home screen stopped working

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted G2 with a custom ROM with Sense. Yesterday when I would turn the phone into landscape mode the screen would auto rotate. Now it doesnt unless I open the keyboard. I read somewhere that it has to do with the Car Panel and that once you run the car panel it will stop the home screen from auto rotating without the keyboard open. Is there a way to fix this? I installed an Auto Rotate Switch app but that didnt work. I wanted to remove the car panel but android wouldnt let me uninstall it. I really dont want to reflash but I guess I will have to if I cant get it to work again :(

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a rooted G2 with a custom ROM with Sense. Yesterday when I would turn the phone into landscape mode the screen would auto rotate. Now it doesnt unless I open the keyboard. I read somewhere that it has to do with the Car Panel and that once you run the car panel it will stop the home screen from auto rotating without the keyboard open. Is there a way to fix this? I installed an Auto Rotate Switch app but that didnt work. I wanted to remove the car panel but android wouldnt let me uninstall it. I really dont want to reflash but I guess I will have to if I cant get it to work again :(

did you go to
settings>sounds and display>orientation and change it from there

graffixnyc

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
did you go to
settings>sounds and display>orientation and change it from there

Yes, I did. and it's set correctly. I read somewhere on the Droid phone they are having this issue and it happens when the Car Panel is run the first time.. Which I accidentally ran today and think that's why it stopped working.
Here is the Thread that mentions its the car panel

Home screen doesnt rotate to landscape mode anymore unless keyboard is slid out. - Android Forums

Updated: Actually, it looks like it was Android updates from Google that removed the auto-rotation. This thread is informative:

https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/16696?tstart=0

OP: For some reason, the Car Dock application locks out the auto rotation of the home screen. Before it is run the first time, the home screens will auto rotate; afterwards, they won't. On one of the Motorola.com forums, they claimed it was by design.
Tip this Post to Staff
Spirko is offline Report Post
Last edited by Spirko; 09-07-2010 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Correction

Galileo1633

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
thanks, this helped me. kind of figured it was one of the apps that was blocking auto-rotate but there are many and i couldn't think of which one until i read your post. went to 'manage applications', opened up google sky, cleared the data cache, moved app to sd card, and auto-rotate now working fine. ran google sky again, had to accept terms, app ran fine and screen is still behaving. thanks again.