Gingerbread upgrade

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
The N1 doesn't even have it yet. If we're taking bets I'd say april. No doubt htc is working on it, but we still have a while.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Fully agree but if you have a rooted device, just go put Cm7 on it. They just released a stable release candidate and it's very nice. Gingerbread doesn't really add that many features or a big leap from froyo, but it nice having the latest and greatest.

Sent from my HTC Vision

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Fully agree but if you have a rooted device, just go put Cm7 on it. They just released a stable release candidate and it's very nice. Gingerbread doesn't really add that many features or a big leap from froyo, but it nice having the latest and greatest.

Sent from my HTC Vision

Definitely. It's amazing how people who aren't getting paid do a much better and faster job than the oems. Htc should be hiring these guys.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Honestly though, as an MBA student who dives into studying business strategy everyday, there are few quantitative incentives for companies to release upgrades to OS. It does build brand loyalty and those that have been treated well tend to stay with that device manufacturer (its why my last three phones have been HTC devices) but you don't see the brand loyalty pay out till a year or two down the line when consumers upgrade. Instead the manufactures and carriers see more value in adding additional services to the device. That is why the whole skinning thing is popular with these companies. They were unable to come up with their own software and ecosystem to compete in the smartphone business until android came along.

Sent from my HTC Vision

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
It's sad, the purest Google experience doesn't even have the OS... I would say you can ask "Where the hell is it?!" after the Nexus One gets it, but as of now... kind of not important.

Actually word is that 2.4 is coming instead of 2.3, 2.4 is Gingerbread with bug fixes and maybe(rumours...) even dual core support,

As of now, the only device with Gingerbread is the Nexus S.

Honestly though, Gingerbread on the Nexus S is pretty bad, pretty unstable... I am glad manufacturers haven't updated any devices yet, because it's just so unstable. That's why I have CM7 on my Nexus S, fixed the launcher freezing up and the 1.2ghz kernel makes it get 2000s on Quadrant, and even eliminates the browser lag.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
To me froyo was a major leap as far as performance in android and gingerbread just doesnt do enough for me to really demand it. Sure I'm running CM7 but that's cuz it the latest and greatest from the best rom developers out there. The next major leap for the phones in android will be ice cream as it combines both gingerbread and honeycomb. Unfortunately I doubt we will be seeing that and we will have to look at buying the next device with tegra 3 quad core craziness

Sent from my HTC Vision

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
CM7= Cyanogenmod 7, prob the most famous android rom, or alternate software you can flash on a rooted android phone. It's based on gingerbread source. Cyanogen is one off the most famous android devs.

legendary1022

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Can someone running CM7 tell me what advantages Gingerbread has over Froyo?

It is basically back end type stuff that boosts performance of apps, in particular games. There are not many outstanding features outside of that. Sure the change in the notification bar and a few other cosmetic changes, but in terms of usability not much else.

You can read more here:
http://www.thisgreenmachine.com/?p=760

Sent from my HTC Vision