1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default Just Switched from Blackberry

What's up everyone? Just switched from a bold 9700 to the g2 and i am loving it.

Android ROCKS!

any app recommendations

Welcome to Android Central KEEMZ116 and the Android army recruit... Enjoy G2.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Welcome! Any questions don't hesitate to ask, everyone here in the forum would be glad to help.

Sweet you made a good choice. Some good apps are

Pulse
    Twiyroid
    Evernote
    Angry birds
    Shazam
    Listen
    Beatiful widgets
    Launcher pro
    Urbanspoon
    Npr news
    Readitlater
    Dropbox

Just to name a few. If i may ask why was the G2 your choice
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to go g2 because it's the best touchscreen device with a keyboard tmobile has to offer.

Coming from blackberry, i will say that i'm not used to the limited battery life. Any tips on getting it through the day?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

Turn brightness off auto and turn it as low as you can while still comfortable.

Update that amazon mp3 bloatware with the market, the new version doesn't autostart. Check other apps that update in the background and either turn them off or make the checks every few hours.

Take advantage of wifi calling!! If you are in an office all day make sure it's on, will save tons of battery.

I'd you don't need it, turn off 3g when not planning to use data for a while.

Welcome to the horrible battery world of modern smartphones...
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Awesome thanks for the tips. I've been looking through the forum and I've seen mixed feelings on task killers. Should I use ATK or not?

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

No task killers, older versions of android needed them but 2.2 handles apps pretty well. If you ever need to kill something just go settings-> applications-> manage applications and force stop it.

I second what NoSpin says about the data connection. My office is like the black hole of cell phone reception. I turn off 3g and turn on wifi while I'm at work, and my battery lasts much longer by doing this.

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogen 6.1

what about using SetCPU to downgrade the speed of the phone when not in use?

ROM
    Stock, CM7

The phone will already change its clockspeed based on usage and sleep state. But if you can live without instant mail and other notifications, try Juice Defender. It will **** down your data connection when the phone is asleep and periodically wake up for syncing. Supposedly that saves battery life, at the expense of instant email and other notifications.

Hello, I too just switched from blackberry. I am wondering if the driod has the capiblity to silence but allow you to choose a group of contacts can can always ring through. anyone????

ROM
    Stock, CM7

Quote Originally Posted by diamonds View Post
    Hello, I too just switched from blackberry. I am wondering if the driod has the capiblity to silence but allow you to choose a group of contacts can can always ring through. anyone????
    I was going to make an app that did just that but I noticed there are plenty of such apps on Market.

can you give a name of a few good apps that do that.

ROM
    Stock, CM7

Selective Silence for one.